1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Zalman NB Cooler - Fell off!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Paolo, 22 Dec 2004.

1. Paolo

Paolo What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

Just received a board and chip from a fellow bit tech member, but the delivery guy must have decided to take the rocky path here and the zalman cooler seems to have fallen off!

Is there anything at homebase etc I could use to re-attach this, not sure what to stick it back on with!

Cheers,
    Paolo

2. myke

myke What's a Dremel?

You could use some thermal epoxy. Kustompcs in Ayr does some Arctic Silver Adhesive for £6.50 though you may be able to find something cheaper online.

3. TMM

TMM Modder

take a picture so we can see what parts are missing (if there are any) and/or what parts are damaged :thumb:

4. Paolo

Paolo What's a Dremel?

Hey,

Yeah pics are no problem, got three here. I've still to put the fan on the cooler for the cpu if anyone was wondering, and also, anyone happen to have a spare back plate for that model of motherboard? :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Paolo

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Hunt about for two screws, if you can't find them you'll need replacment screws/ thermal epoxy :)

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

my zalman kept popping off even with the push pins. Very annoying in the middle of a lap on nfsu or something.

You can apply thermal paste in a blob in THE MIDDLE of the NB, then dab a tiny amount of superglue in each corner of the NB to keep it stuck.

8. Paolo

Paolo What's a Dremel?

Hmm, yeah I think I'll try the superglue idea if none of my mates happen to have a spare northbridge cooler.

On a sidenote, I got brave and fired up the PC with just the northbridge cooler stuck to the nb with heatsink paste, seemed to get to booting up XP and crashed, is this what is to be expected?

Cheers,
    Paolo

9. mushky

mushky gimme snails

yep, heatsink comes off or whatever and the computer locks up. in my experience anyway. There was no permanent damage, even when I'd come back hours after it had fallen off.

10. bazorama

bazorama What's a Dremel?

personally i would reccomend either getting a new northbridge cooler or the thermal epoxy