1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding i need some cheap idea's

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KidModder, 22 Dec 2004.

1. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

Help!!!!!. i need some easy modding tips. and some new hardware for my mod in progress. my only have $6. HELP!!!! :idea:

2. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

1: Stealth ur drive, it's free... a guide can be found Here .

2: Paint your case, spray cans can be had for 1.99 USD - A great guide for this is at linear's site : Linear's painting guide

3: Do you have spare wire? After you stealth your drives, then move your CD-Rom button to the front of your case so you dont have to push on the drive bay cover. A good guide for this can be found Here .

4: Add a front window. I guess you could do a side window, but you only have six bucks... cheapo. Guide for this... err... I'll write it. right here.

How To Put A Window In the Front of Your Case

Materials:
    1 Jewel Case (the thing CD-ROMs come in - you must have these!)
    1 Drill with holesaw bit (or other method of cutting the hole, this is easy though)
    1 roll of double-sided sticky tape.

Sketch out on a seperate sheet of paper what you want the window to be. For the sake of this, I will use a circular window, 80mm in diameter.

Remove the bezel from the front of the case, and mark where the middle of the window should go with an indent (use a hammer and an awl).

Drill the hole, go slowly and try not to press down too hard.

Now take the jewel case and drill a 100mm circle out of it with a larger hole saw bit (doesn't have to be exactly 100mm, but it has to fit into your case and it has to overlap the 80mm hole's edges.

Use the double sided sticky tape to attach it to the inside of your case, so from the outside all you see is the blank window that has been stuck on (no tape showing)

OK, so Now you should have a window showing pretty much a good view of your HDD and, if you move the HDD around to get a good position, the motherboard.

Now time for you to spend your six bucks.

Go to any decent computer store, or, go online, and find a Cold Cathode Flourescent Light. Mount it wherever you choose, but bear in mind that the 4" cathodes are cheaper and will fit nicely under the window, so they light the case but don't show in the window. Color - your choice.

Wow. That was the most time consuming post I have written so far.

Hope this helps you! Another thing you might consider... asking your parents for a few bucks.

3. meiv_4

meiv_4 What's a Dremel?

do you have duck tape? if yes then you should hide all your wires, if no then you should go buy a roll and hide all your wires. then you can use the excess instead of double sided tape and do all the previous ones.

4. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

:eyebrow:

...lol?

5. KidModder

Thx

I just started the painting idea thank you :rock:
    I already have red bubbe tubes in my comp thx again.

6. Wrigley1

Well then do the uber awesome front window mod! I might have to do this to my computer case now...

7. meiv_4

meiv_4 What's a Dremel?

i did an uber awsome front window mod, except, my windows arnt just holes and they have some sanded plexi behind them. so my suggestion use a smaller drill then he suggested, position it in front of the fans at the front of your case, if you have them and if they are lighted it makes for good effect. then take some 180ish snad paper and sand the jewel case then before you attach it and if your case is curved get a heat gun (or hairdryer but that takes longer) and get the plastic nice and warm so its a bit flexible then push it agaist the inside of the case so it gets the curve. then if you have pop rivits you can use those to attach it and it will look something like this
    [​IMG]
    if you still have that six bucks ied recomend going to the hardware store like homedepot or osh if your in us and getting a piece of plexi instead of the jewell case.

you could also mod one of your face plates. take one out then using a dremel or jig saw or drill and file or something else either cut a design or words or just a window into it then affix some more sanded plexi or a jewel case behind it, then get some leds or a ccfl and put it behind that so it lights up. you can also put some etching on the plexi if its a window.

8. KidModder

i think i would use a jewel case cause i have a few colored.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Careful, a jewel case is a cheap mod, both quantitatively and qualitatively, and many times that shows...but I suppose that IS the title of the thread, and it's your first mod. My advice is: save up for more money...post some pics of your case though, so we can get an idea of what you're working with over there :hehe:

10. Wrigley1

mmm, post a picture of your case so we can see what is actually possible.

11. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen What's a Dremel?

....i spent 6.50 on lunch today...

12. Wrigley1

lol, yeah it's the Christmas season, ask your parents for some leeway with the moh-nay, if j00 know what I mean :naughty: