1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Dead Silence -A Home Theatre PC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 7 Dec 2004.

1. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

thanks for that Zap.

I wish there was a way to use the Component (YPbPr) video cables for recording from the cable box. I dont think there are any video cards that support YPbPr VIVO, well VI is all i need actually :D . The video quality is exponentially better than Composite or even S-Video, but then what you said about just taping shows and the news is a good point.

Our cable box actually uses a SCART cable which splits to composite cables. I use a Scart to Component convertor for the better picture quality.

While we're talking about cables etc, what are u using for sound? What speakers are you using or is it just hooked up to your TV (eeeewww)? Im just using some Klipsh ProMedia 5.1's coz i wanted to save myself the cost of an amp and these sound very very very good for the price.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2004
  2. Wolfe

Wolfe What's a Dremel?

Definitly don't use composite. Especially with an HDTV.

What does it mean in that earlier pictue when you say the PSU is modded? Also, are you painting the side panel, and then laser etching it? I cant think of how else you would have gotten only the image to illuminate.

And a late comment:
    Put the extra security camera in the PC :D That would probably be pretty cool as well , now that i think of it. If the camera was color, it would be better looking though.

And where do you get you LEDs? LSDiodes?

3. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Impressive work. I really liked the ammo case PC, and this one is just as cool IMO. keep up the good work! :dremel:

*Subscribed*

4. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

My friend Caitlin Williams has a RGB input PCI card from an old workstation.
    My friends and I reverse engineered the board (quite simple, a FPGA, some RAM, and some ADCs) and wrote a Linux driver for it (it was for a special project ("VNC-like" remote access without slowing down the host computer)).
    Of course, the chances of even finding a RGB input card is about as likely as meeting Jessica Simpson while looking for a CCFL at the local Fry's...

Zap, are you going to surf the web with that machine? (I wonder what it's like to surf the web on a 47" screen)
    And is that monitor a DLP or LCD projection?

5. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I have done a bit of surfing using the TV as a monitor.
    But mostly I play music and do photo slide shows on the HDTV.
    I use the HTPC a lot at home, but I actualy use the Windows XP remote desktop connection from my laptop to connect to it, and browse the web from there.

The TV is a CRT projection type (three CRT tubes)
    It's bright, good viewing angle, but it was also less then $1100
    I takes about half an hour to warm up and align properly, but after that it is very sharp.

6. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

wat kind of software are you using? I was going to try Windows MCE but gave up and am now using MyHTPC.

I guess you really dont need a frontend, but i wanted to make the whole system very n00b friendly as i entertain and have friends staying over a lot. Theres also a bit of sense of acheivement in making a fully integrated solution that needs no post-setup tweaking.

7. ZapWizard

Currently I have plain old XP on it, but I want to put MCE on it later, I have played with MCE a bit, it's got some good add-ons, and the 10-foot interface is easy to use on a TV.

As far as control currently I just use the media control buttons on the Gyration keyboard.

8. _rahoul

_rahoul What's a Dremel?

thats cool. I like that new Logitech LX700 keyboard/mouse combo. It has a lot of media specific keys, makes more sense than a remote i guess

9. Arena_08

Arena_08 What's a Dremel?

5 pages 14 pictures. Speaks for its self.

10. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

What's that mean? The quality of the mod isn't in any way related to the number of pictures, plus the fact that he's not done yet, so maybe you should wait before you comment on the number of pictures. Anyways back on topic I liked how the dragon etch turned out, very nice looking, can't wait to see the case finished.

11. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Lets chant:

uuuppppdddaaatttee!!!!!!!!!!

update! :rock:

And I want to see more :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

12. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

UPDATE!!!!!!
    *subscribed*

13. Arena_08

Arena_08 What's a Dremel?

It means 5 pages of tat - not modding. "im going to do this" soret of crap that never comes true. I just prefer to see a project being logged in a thread in the project log forum, thanks.

14. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Honestly, let the mods decide what’s appropriate for this forum.

And while on that note, keep the posts relevant to the thread please.

I am tired of seeing posts for this thread thinking "Oh Zap must have updated" only to see off topic spam.

15. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

[spam] Arena_08 Quote: " ... "im going to do this" soret of crap that never comes true .... "
    And this statement relates to ZapWizard, How ? In what way has he failed to do remarkable things ?? Updates not fast enough ???
    Sorry, had to say, these kind of comments are intirely unnessary and uncalled for. [/spam]
    DB

16. ZapWizard

If you look at the project goals:
    Completed-Watch computer recorded movies
    Completed-Backup DVD's
    Completed-Backup Audio CD's
    Completed-Play Internet Radio
    Completed-Burn CD's / DVD's
    Completed-Edit Movies
    Completed-Store family photo's / Display photos
    Completed-Home File Server
    Completed-FTP Server (personal)
    Completed-HTTP Server (personal)
    Completed-Video Survailance/Recorder
    Need second TV card-Record from Cable Box
    Need X10 controller-Control Home Automation/Security

Only two goals left.
    I actualy have a second TV card, but can't find the break-out cable for it's video input.
    I also have an X10 controller from the old media PC build that I can re-wire again for normal use.

-----------------

But it's update time:

I have the video security system completed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

The camera I purchased was a PC88WR camera from SuperCircuits.

-Link-

Specs:
    -0.0003 lux
    -Sony Super HAD Ex-View CCD
    -600 line resolution
    -Metal weatherproof enclosure
    -Tilt and swivel mounting bracket
    -3.6 MM microlens with 92 degree FOV
    -0.75” diameter X 2.67” long
    -12 volts DC at 100 mA

Basically this camera can still see on a moon-less night by starlight alone, no infrared LEDs needed.

[​IMG]

I wanted the camera to use a single cable for both video and power.
    CAT5 is perfect for this purpose, and I built a BNC and Power to CAT5 adapter box.
    But even with the adapter box the connection was bulky, so it wasn't long before I had the camera taken apart.

[​IMG]

The camera's guts are a testament to micro electronics.
    The camera only needs three wires, +12volts, GND, and Video.

[​IMG]

I de-soldered the old wires.

[​IMG]

I then soldered up a new cable, using a cut-up headphone cable, which was small enough to fit into the camera's wire hole, and still had three conductors.

[​IMG]

On the camera end a single wire runs to the Cat5 adapter box.

I then can use flat CAT5 for easy routing down to the HTPC.

At the computer end I built a second adapter box. This box adapts the video to a normal RCA connector, provides power, and a status LED.

The status LED is wired so that it only lights if there is a good connection between the two adapter box's.

[​IMG]

With the camera installed and wired up I can view the camera in three different ways.

The first is a small B/W TV that works as a virtual peep-hole, allowing me to view the camera anytime. This also helps my wife who is short and needs a later for the stock peep-hole.

[​IMG]

I can also view the camera from the couch by switching the TV to the right input.

[​IMG]

Finally the camera is connected to the HTPC via a TV card and a security program.
    After trying out ATI's built in motion program, and Gotcha's security software, I settled on Active Webcam. It is a VERY capable program, but I have not decided whether to get their Pro or Deluxe version yet.
    It has a built in secure web server that allows me to access my live camera, archived videos and images, and logs from anywhere on the internet.
    I can even view my front door, live, via my cell phone.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here you can see the images the PC captures both day and night.
    It also captures video with each motion detection.

17. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

You need to calm down Zap, too much skill in modding and you'll cause people's heads to explode.

I mean re-wiring a security camera because you didnt like the connection box.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

I still cant wait until you wrap this whole project up. :thumb:

18. bjones247

bjones247 What's a Dremel?

Very awesome. :D 99% of us would have stayed with the adapter boxes. Only Zap would rewire the camera. Very cool. :thumb: