1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding transformer mod idea help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by seforin, 22 Dec 2004.

1. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

ok heres the plan..

i wanna make soundwave

but in speaker box form (so basically a mod inside a stero)

but to look like the original old school version boom box he was...

ok

help..... :idea:

2. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

If you are going to mod a sterio then add a window and add a couple of fans and ccfls to spce it up. but i dont know anything about sound stuff srry bout that part.

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

What are you asking here? Soundwave? Speakerbox form?

....*blank expression*

4. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

basically in a nut shell yea, speaker box version of sound wave

But i want to make it so it look like his old school version with the glass and everything......

i dunno i was thinking about this idea , this both seems possible and impossible at the same time....

Where should i start people.......

(make this a group mod , ill build while you people bark commands at me) :wallbash:

5. SanDmaN

SanDmaN Minimodder

Just to inform ppl that soundwave is a character in Transformers. It took me a few reads to figure that 1 out.

6. seforin

seforin What's a Dremel?

holy crap im totally sorry

im so use to everyone knowing that name that it didnt accur to me that people might think of a soundwave based speaker box , and not soundwave the character :duh:

In either case im trying to make something like this as shown below

http://transformers.winterchill.com/looseparts/inst/soundwave.jpg

(ok i know its the toy and it looks like crap, but finding a picture of soundwave in speakerbox mode is hard as balls ...)

in either case this is a more clearly stated idea of what im saying no?

7. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

"Soon I will be one with the matrix..."

Anyway, below is the best I could find with a quick google.

[​IMG]

That looks sorta tough. It'd be cool if you could integrate full functionality into that thing. Good luck!

-Fyber

8. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

It actually looks fairly easy. Getting the boom-box to look like that would be extremely easy, it would be the detail work and intricate painting that would be hard. To get the boom-box to look like that, I would advise:

1) Find an old, fairly square boom-box (as it seems nowadays that they're all shaped extremely weird..

2) Encase the box tightly in plexi (or aluminum, but the plexi would be easier to do the next steps with)

3) Make it so the plexi can be taken off (possibly hinge the top), and take it off

4) Cover the entire plexi case in about a 1/4 inch layer of Bondo (or other car body filler or w/e its called). I know this step will be time consuming and messy, but in the end I think it will be the best way to get all the details in.

5) Let the Bondo dry, then: Sand down the corners and so they are the right curved shape. Sand down the whole body until it's smooth, but be sure not to take too much off. You want to still be able to add the details.

6) Grab a modeling knife, or other thin and strong tool. Carve all of the detail work into the case.

7) Let everything dry...Very very well. Then, put a coat of good primer down on the case.

8) Paint two coats of whatever the most common appearing color is (it appears to be blue).

9) Tape off everywhere that you want to remain blue, then put a coat of white down. Two, possibly three coats will be needed to fully cover the blue.

10) Take all the tape off, and paint everything else with a paint brush

11) Drill holes where the speakers are for the case, to let the sound through :duh:

12) (possibly the hardest step, as this will be the only time you will risk ruining the boom-box) Open the sucker up, and de-solder all the important interfaces (power, play-pause-stop-ff-rw, volume, tuning [depending on how much you use the radio, and whether its a digital scan], whatever else you want to commonly access), and drill holes for the buttons on the front (or side, if you don't want to ruin the looks of the front) and mount them. Wire them back up to the boom-box (be sure to write down or otherwise record where each button went, so you dont end up pressing play and turning the thing on :rolleyes: ).

13) Fire the sucker up and enjoy!

I know this seems like a lot of things to do, but in reality it will probably cost around $10-15 and take around 2 weeks to do, and most of that 2 weeks will be drying time. If you do decide to go ahead and do it, make sure to make a project log so we can all see! Good luck :dremel:

9. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

Here we go. Enjoy this!
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Oh my god...Thanks to go ScopEDog on this one.
    Prepare for drool

Last edited: 24 Dec 2004
  10. isho

isho What's a Dremel?

i have a better idea for you

hey man, when you say you want to make a mod that looks like soundwave, i have something that will one be alot easier and two more original. instead of soundwave use blaster, if you dont know blaster was the autobot version of soundwave, but instead of a walkman he was a boombox. here is a link to a pic of him. http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ages?q=blaster+transformer&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1 sorry its so long but i got it off google. also if interested i am also making a computer mod based off of transformers. pm if interested. anyway have a good day and happy modding.