1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest quake in 40 years kills thousands

Discussion in 'Serious' started by mrplow, 26 Dec 2004.

1. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Its going to skyrocket once that 200 island chain starts reporting :( Theres like no high ground there for anyone :(

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Looking in the Sun today, this is the 5th worst disaster in modern times. The worst being in 1931 in China where 3.7 MILLION died in floods.

Its the 5th worst, but could jump to 2nd.

It happened in the Indian Ocean, but think about it, it could happen on the West coast of Britain/Ireland and the East Coast of the United States if the Atllantic fault created a tsunami?

3. quack

quack Minimodder

Thankfully the Atlantic is spreading not contracting. Less chance of an earthquake when there's no subducting plates (unlike the ones right next to Indonesia).

4. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

5. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

True, but a big problem is for the Pacific Coast of the US where the North American plate meets up with the Pacific Plate causing the Rocky Mountains. This is where the San Andreas Fault zone is. The 2 plates are moving horizontally past each other which is why scientists speculate that part of California is in danger of "sinking" into the ocean.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

California won't sink into the ocean as the plates are only moving sideways. Los Angeles will just end up next to San Francisco in about 10 million years.

Just for everyone's information:

[​IMG]
    Example: The San Andreas Fault, where the North American and the Pacific plate meet.

[​IMG]
    Example: The Eurasian and Australian plates - these are the 2 that caused all the trouble a few days ago.

[​IMG]
    Example: The Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Iceland actually sits right on top of the ridge, and is slowly getting bigger every year.

Pics from here .

7. jake^the^cake

jake^the^cake What's a Dremel?

How is in the rest of the world? Is it all over the media like here?

It feels wierd, it's on the other side of the world and still I most of my friends know someone who is down there, dead, alive or missing...

8. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

I wouldn't say overdue, if you believe in the true randomness of the universe then we're no more likely to suffer armageddon tomorrow than we were yesterday or 1000 years from now.

This is an unfortunate event which happened to occur in our lifetime, my grandparents witnessed the slaugher of millions of people in two world wars.. earthquakes have been killing hundres of thousands of people for centuries (1556 was a particularly bad year, and we're still here).

People say things are getting worse, or is this just because we can more accurately record these tragic events as opposed to interpret ancient texts?

The only thing we can be certain of occuring is the sun becoming a black hole, everything else is just potential.

9. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

Unless that volcano in the canary islands collospes into the ocean and the resulting landslide causing halk km mega tsumni accross the eastern coast of north america and west europe. You could be talking millions dead. True you would have about 8 hours warning but can you imagine the panic as people try to get to safe ground.

You don't see these huge waves coming until its too late and they moving at the speed of a jumbo jet, you have no chance.

David

10. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

Could be over 200,000 dead as people die from disease.

This is the worse natural distaster in my lifetime.

David

11. MrWillyWonka

Supposingly this is gonna happen in the next 10 years as there has been increasing activity in the volcano in Gran Canaria. And I live in So'ton, on the south coast, 3 miles from the sea, erk. And what about those earthquakes Britain had last year? Does that mean anything?

Although I've done geography GCSE and doing A-Level geography, I've never actually done tetonic activity, which would be very useful right now... :waah:

12. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

Now is the right time to move north. Prices of houses here are only £40,000

David

13. MrWillyWonka

Its £300,000 in my village, and I wouldn't move up north, even though its cheaper, theres more theme parks, you get snow etc. But I like the south too much! I say "God bless the South"!

But in the future I think I'll move to America.

14. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

It hasn't snowed here in years. Well I say not snowed it has snowed but its disappeared with hours of it falling. January 1987 was the last time it was bad here for snow. School was closed for a week lol.

We say southern softies but this is getting off-topic.

David

15. jake^the^cake

jake^the^cake What's a Dremel?

<3 Sweden

16. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

Highly unlikely that a movement of this magnitude would happen in the Atlantic, because it is a mid ocean ridge, not a fault...

17. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

That's probably because geography does not equal geology :p ;)

18. MrWillyWonka

Geology is part of the geography syllabus.

And the death toll is now 120,000.

I agree with Penksi to some extent, but the reason why we should be giving aid to the disaster area is beacuse so many people died in one area, where as with disease and famine, it is scattered around the world, making it not so severe.

Don't get me wrong, I am in favour of people donating to people dying of hunger. Looks like the next Comic Relief could be focusing on childrens lives in the disaster zone.

19. dgb

dgb What's a Dremel?

:confused: That's a crazy system... While they have some superficial similarities, they are pretty different fields with little real links between them...

20. quack

quack Minimodder

Ocean disaster toll hits 114,000

CONFIRMED DEATH TOLL
    1. Indonesia: 79,940
    2. Sri Lanka: 24,743
    3. India: 7,330
    4. Thailand: 2,394
    5. Somalia: 120
    6. Burma: 90
    7. Maldives: 67
    8. Malaysia: 65
    9. Tanzania: 10
    10. Seychelles: 1
    11. Bangladesh: 2
    12. Kenya: 1

I think Indonesia and Sri Lanka have pretty much given up counting the dead now. Most guesses are well over 150,000.

KEY AID PLEDGES
    World Bank $250m
    UK $96m
    EU $44m
    US: $35m
    Canada: $33m
    Japan: $30m
    Australia: $27m
    France: $20.4m
    Denmark: $15.6m
    Saudi Arabia: $10m
    Norway: $6.6m