1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding sleeving cables

Discussion in 'Modding' started by rooroo, 29 Dec 2004.

1. rooroo

rooroo Minimodder

i bought some stuff to sleeve my psu cables however it wont go over the molex plugs .. is there a way to remove these easy .... the main problem however seems to be that i cant get it over the motherboard plug ... its strechy stuff but it just begins to fray .. got any tips?

2. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Depending on the size you bought, it is possible to work it over the mobo plug; however, since you can't get it over the normal molex, I'm guessing you have a fairly small size. They do make tools to disassemble the plugs with, but you can use something like a needle or a small flathead screwdrive (the type used on eyeglasses). There are small flaps on opposite sides of each pin in the molex. Push them in and the pins can be pushed out of the molex. Make sure you push them back out into place when reassembling the molex...and be damn sure you have them in the right order.

The same goes for the mobo molex, but it is a real bitch to get apart.

3. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

Get a safety pin and carefully remove the pins. They are small prongs on either side of the pins, you need to push these in. You need good eyesight for this. Once you put your sleeving stuff on then carefully bend these prongs out and slide back into the plug.

Remember its red, black, black, yellow so from the motherboard side of the case yellow wire is closeest to you.

Hope I have explained that right.

David

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

There're a few guides if you :search: , and places like KustomPCs, Fleetwood etc sell molex removal tools, albeit for a very high price

<A88>

5. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

sleeving cables, what do u mean? like aorund the wires?

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I'd REALLY suggest that you buy the right tools, it makes it so much easier than trying around-the-house items. SO much easier. Although that ATX remover usually isn't cheap. If you're lucky you can find one from someone that has one and they'll let you borrow it

7. rooroo

rooroo Minimodder

the stuff i have is like a braided sleeve.. looks good on the cable i did get it on, i got various sizes but as soon as i try and get it over the cable it streches but the cable begins to fray .. if you get my drift

8. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I have an artical on this here www.lan-fire.net/psu.htm
    The molex plugs are posible without tools but it takes so long that the tool is worth it. The mobo plug is so hard that even with a tool it takes a knack.

9. Whisp[TR]

Whisp[TR] What's a Dremel?

When I first started out i used an antenna and squished the ends a bit. I would stick them in and twist and then pull out the connectors.

[​IMG]

As for the 20 and 4 pin ATX it can be done with staples but a lot of work. I suggest the tool. I have found depending on the psu though that sometimes you need s certain one with a certain thickness. Why i carry two in my kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also if you buy a pin removal kit dont get a kit with the all in one molex remover for male and female. They tend to break the pins on the male molex pins.

Anyways I suggest using tools and not stretching over because if you can stretch over the connector your using the wrong size mesh and it should look nice and tight and crisp like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or like this.

[​IMG]

When it is oversized and you shrink it bubbles up and just looks like crap. An example of this is my first time of meshing and I had only so much length since we could not get in canada and got stuff free. Anyways it was one size to big and didnt look to bad but was not perfect and can see slight bubbling as i call it.

[​IMG]

That was still with the connectors removed. Also if you look at guide posted by other guy above his has large amounts of bubbling because of being over sized.

Probbaly many guides on removing connectors but here is one that I did here.

Anyways happing meshing.

:)

10. robbins1940

robbins1940 Banned

Very nice