1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not a disaster........yet

Discussion in 'Modding' started by K.I.T.T., 1 Jan 2005.

?

Is the AMD Athalon XP 3200+ 'out of date' ?

1. Yes

38.0%
  2. No

62.0%
  1. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

well soon i will be going for and scratch building my own comp, the cost for all the parts came to £960 :jawdrop: so if i screw anything up i'm in deep *expletive deleted* anyways just wish me luck for this one hopefully i will be able to post it in the mod section and not this one! :D

spec:
    ....AMD Athalon XP 3200+ (with a Areocool deep impact HSF, will be WC eventually)
    ....DFI Lanprty NForce2 Ultra B
    ....512MB OCZ PC3200 Enhanced Latency (will get nother 512 eventually)
    ....160GB IDE seagate barracuda (should have been SATA but i messed up the order, doesn't matter though it costs a bit less, will get nother 160GB SATA this time though)
    ....Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO (will flash bios to get X800 XT PE, with new HSF will be WC eventually)
    ....Antec Neopower 480W PSU
    ....LG DVD-rom
    ....Lite-on DVD-RW
    ....Sony floppy (may not install)
    ....Logitech LX-500 cordless desktop
    ....Case = secret (for now at least)

2. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

If you're going to water cool loose the 3200+ for a start :p

3. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

why not go a64? I'm confused.

4. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Some people like myself aren't interested in 64bit computing, it isn't mainstream yet and personally, i feel alot of people have jumped the gun. Quite rightly he seems a person that in the fututre could benefit from 64bit. Tbh mate, before you order anything, take this to the hardware discussion forum and get another opinion. Just to justify my reasons, you're planning on water cooling a locked CPU, why?

EDIT: Why do i get the feeling he's already got the hardware :wallbash:

5. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

good point, i think he already has it too. However, for around the same price it is faster.

6. boardsportsrule

boardsportsrule What's a Dremel?

if you havent bought it yet, HALT! do not get an A-xp, DEFFINATELY get a A64..... good luck :p

7. K.I.T.T.

i'm not about to go 64bit cause it costs too much and the software that utilizes the full capabilities of the 64-bit processers have more bugs than win xp did when it first came out.........why not get the xp 3200+

and yes your feeling is correct everything minus the case is sitting in my rooom on the floor (still in boxes of course)

8. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

the 3200 is more expensive than an A64 3000. Also, it does 32 bit too.

9. K.I.T.T.

yes but i don't care for the cost of the rest of the 64-bit equipment required

10. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

u mean the mobo? That you would hae instead of the other mobo, but either way, it's too late.

btw, why is this in disaster.

11. Blood

Blood What's a Dremel?

w/c = silent :)

12. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

what's going on? :eyebrow:

13. K.I.T.T.

notice i said 'not a disaster.........yet' thats why its here cause its the first time i've built a comp from scratch

14. TMM

TMM Modder

Any athlon64 is superior to an athlonXP even in 32-bit due to the on-chip memory controller.

Going for a 3000+ A64 system will cost you about the same (or cheaper) as a 3200+ AXP system and will be faster ;).

And ofcoarse 64-bit windows has bugs, thats why its still beta! :duh:

15. K.I.T.T.

and thats exactly why i don't want it why bother paying for something i won't use properly its like buying a AIT X800 XT PE thn flashing it with the PRO VIVO bios.......i am well aware of the on-chip memoory controller but its not gonna happen till there is a decent amount of stuff that utilises the 64-bit processing abilities of it

p.s i was well aware 64-bit windows was still beta i think you can slap your self on the head again for that

16. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Erm..He just told you that even in 32-bit arena's, an AMD64 3000+ wins over an XP 3200+...No matter if you never touch 64-bit programs in your life, you are going to get a ton more features, support, and cost-efficiency from an AMD64 system over an XP system. And, no one is making you run Windows 64 BE on a 64-bit processor...you can be running DOS for all the processor cares, it will still run it fine. It just also has the capability of running 64-bit software. The on-chip memory controller works in any platform, not only 64-bit systems. You seem to think that the AMD64 processors are like the Intel Itanium 64-bit processors, as the Itanium's only work in 64-bit mode. The AMD64's are completely backwards compatible, and faster at 32-bit operating than any Athlon XP processor. As for buying an ATi (not AIT :duh: ) X800 XT PE and flashing it with Pro VIVO BIOS...erm...eh... :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:...I believe you have confused yourself brotha. You would buy the cheaper, more readily available X800 Pro VIVO and flash it with X800XT PE BIOS, not the other way around. Plus, you can overclock the snot out of an AMD64 3000+, and you will barely be able to oc an XP 3200+. And I believe you can slap yourself in the head for smarting off to someone when all he was trying to do was help :nono:.

BTW: When the first 32-bit processor was introduced, there was absolutely nothing that utilized it. That was over 10 years ago. Now, everything is in 32-bit. Now that we have hit the ceiling effect in 32-bit computing, 64-bit is being phased in...the same with PCI-Express, SATA2, DDR2, dual core CPU's and graphics cards, Blu-Ray....must I go on? Sure these things are early in their career, and are only fully utilized by less than 1% of the computing world, but come back in 3 years and I can almost guarantee that these will be mainstream. Seems like that's another slap in the head for you :p :naughty:

17. K.I.T.T.

i though the amd 64's were like the intel ones.........the ATI thing was why buy a more expensive thing like a X800 XT PE (this being the 64-bit processer) then flashing it to the PRO VIVO bios (so it is bascically a 32-bit).....i meant why buy something expensive like a 64-bit when you will be not using its full capabilities (e.g only using it for 32-bit tasks).......i said it the other way round cause thats what its like if you get a 64-bit and use it in 32-bit tasks only

18. K.I.T.T.

trust me man i know what i mean cause i intend to do the bios flash myself......unbless you haven't noticed i have speced the X800 PRO VIVO and also with a new HSF........i wasn't confused only the message i was trying to get across didn't come out to clear

leeum up the top has it right.....we must be on the same wavelength cause thats what i think as well

19. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Why? Because, as many have stated, the AMD64's, even though they are 64-bit capable, are also still very capable of 32-bit processing, and own other 32-bit Athlon XP's, even the AMD64 3000+ will perform better in a 32-bit environment than a AXP 3200+, even though the number is higher on the AXP....it's cheaper too (I won't go into the AMD64 vs. P4 debate, way too many factors). At this point in time, you would be an absolute fool to go with an AXP system over an A64 system, except for a very very select few circumstances (for instants...only want a moderately powered computer as an internet browsing computer, already have an old mobo and just want to get it running, things like that). Bah, I'm going to bed, I planned on getting to bed by around 1 or 2 and it's 4:30...got caught up in a mod :blush:. The wife's gonna have my head :(. Nah, but you know what going to bed late means...:lol:

20. K.I.T.T.

i see your point as well but also the mobo i speced is the one i really want and until DFI make a 64-bit lanparty board i proably won't get or until it does get more mainstream......you can't try and tell me the computer spec'd at the top is going to be a moderately powered computer......that will run any game you can throw at it as would a 64-bit system.....except for pong that would baffel them both.......good night and thank you for your input i have taken heed of it :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: