1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what happens when ppl get computers over christmas

Discussion in 'General' started by Springs, 1 Jan 2005.

1. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i was listening to the radio the other day and they were saying that there was overwelming (sp) amount of phone calls to computer tech supports on boxing day from ppl who had recieved computers for christmas... the main calls were asking how they turn it on (after everything has been connected) and asking how they set it up.. as they couldnt figure out which components go where..

now how stupid are some ppl.... these days computer components are colour coded and except the mouse/keyboard and the sound card most of the stuff will only go in 1 port... and turning the computer on could never be so easy... all u have to do is press the usally big button on the front of the computer...

some ppl...

2. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

It's not surprising at all. Anyone that has worked tech support before has dozens of stories he can tell you. While working for Gateway I received a call from a guy that had just setup his new system. He had actually gotten it to boot and everything all by his little self. His question?

"What do I do with it?"

He bought a computer having no earthly idea what he wanted to do with it, or even what it was capable of doing.

3. -=ice=-

-=ice=- What's a Dremel?

ppl like me make money ;)

4. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

My dad changed careers due to this. He used to a BBC engineer, but now has his own custom furniture business -- he was fed up with presenters shouting at hi ti 'fix' their 'broken' machine where they'd accidentaly switched the monitor off.

(Slighty) amusing story -- funnier if you know the guy -- one of my maths teachers hadn't touched a PC until this year, when we had all our registers ported onto (very buggy) Bromcom. (He ain't touched a calculator in decades either.) Anyhoo, he spent 10 minutes trying to switch th PC on by hitting the monitor's power button. Then someone pointed-out that the actual PC wasn't there. :duh:

5. DaHoboFest

DaHoboFest Banned

Yeah, last year I was in a class, and went to go work on the computer, Teacher's computer, I went up to the monitor and saw it was off. So I looked down and the comp wasn't there. lol.

6. Springs

Springs Boing boing

when i was in secondary school a friend showed me this website where it showed a lot of stupid tech support questions that ppl has asked... shame i cant remember the site :( i remember when my school got a load of new computers and "smart" boards... some of them didnt no what to do with them and didnt no how to turn the projector on.. and it being boldted to the roof some of them coulnt even reach it without standing on something... thats where i came along with my superior height... :D

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Is that the one where the people were calling tech about their computer being on fire and whatnot? I remember reading a story or two like that.
    "Pull the power, leave the room and call the fire department"
    "But I don't want to lose data by not shutting down properly!"
    Repeat *2
    Hang up by tech support guy

8. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

9. Springs

Springs Boing boing

that website looks like it might be the one i was talking about... looks like it has the same setup..

10. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

I got so many dumb calls like these when I was at my first job. I worked at a warrenty call center for Best Buy, good lord....

Me-"Thank you for calling Best Buy replacements, my name is John, how may I help you?"
    Customer-"What do I do with my computer?"
    Me-"What do you mean?"
    C-"Well it is on, the screen is black, and I want one that works. Send me a new one."
    M-"Did you turn the monitor on? It is a common mistake sir."
    C-"Yeah I pushed the button, but nothing happened."
    M-"Okay sir, this doesn't sound like a viable problem that qualifies for a replacement. Have you checked to make sure everyhting is connected?"
    C-"YES!! DO YOU THINK I AM STUPID? EVERYTHING THING IS PLUGGED.... oh wait, I din't have the monitor connected. Good bye..."

:lol: :hehe:

I miss dumb phone calls from morons...

11. h4r7y

h4r7y What's a Dremel?

i see no problem in helping people who are genuine and have never had any experience with computers etc. if they go about things the right way then theres no problems at all, you just need patience to deal with them.
    the worst people are the ones who think they know it all and get irate when you suggest the obvious and they snap back at you saying theyve done it, but then realise they havnt. and usually end up nice as pie at the end of the call if they dont hang up.