1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

erm, okay...

1)nice block :)
    2)stop ripping at the moderators, you should have more respect and read threads properly instead of getting others to do your lazy work
    3)this is a project-log, I saw no mention of handbags in the Rules stick :worried:

<A88>

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I'm afraid of the outdoors.

3. ab1385

ab1385 What's a Dremel?

Dude, I can't believe I just read through 44 pages of this!

Absolutely awesome mod going on here, I have to say. I'm always impressed by th Doom3/HL2 mods etc and think they look amazing, but this is like an uber mod for the real world :D Definitely something I'd actually want in my house. As the saying (I think from AVForums) goes, definite WAF... (wife acceptance factor) :D

4. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

:D

Ph34r my skillz!!

:hehe:

:thumb:

Made me grin!

5. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

sorry about that Nexxo, youve been a great help to me. Sorry for my smart ass remark to the mod but his comment was a bit sarcastic and I dont think he got my question right so i responded like that.

6. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

You were right Nexxo. Your project is going WAY slower than mine. I mean, you are the king of slow. :hehe:

7. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Ive spent the last few days catching up (and also reading again) this thread :D i have to say that its great, its subtile and not in your face which i really like :) nice work :thumb:

Also you gota love the new blocks ;)

8. |I.H|

|I.H| What's a Dremel?

I LOVE IT, NICE WORK NEXXO :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

9. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

I just can figure out how its supporting the card because it has components right up to the edge of the board.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not right up to the edge --to about 3mm in along most of its edge. That is enough for a strip of rubber hole trim to slot around. That in turn slots nicely in a 5mm x 5mm aluminium U rail. Relax, dude. I'll put up a mod guide soon. ;)

Anyway, we're resuming construction. Here are some pics of the blocks test fitted with the new brackets that Enak'c l33t CNC skillz have provided:

[​IMG]

The whole lot stays nicely clear of the AGP slot...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The original solid metal socket mounting backplates on the MSI K8T Master 2Far helpfully have an M3 thread. So it was easy to use some M3 screws to firmly attach the blocks to the motherboard without putting any strain on it.

[​IMG]

The whole lot is very similar in arrangement to the K7D Master setup so I hardly will have to change anything about the tubing. Next I will re-cut some bits out of the mobo tray to make it all fit nicely. And put in some LEDs. Why? You'll see.

Because this setup requires a little more juice over the 12V line, I got a PC Power & Cooling server PSU to replace the Antec.

More to follow soon! :thumb:

Last edited: 2 Jan 2005
  11. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

12. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Nice to see making some progress again :thumb:

13. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: You never did tell us what model Opterons you've got sitting underneath those pimp ass blocks :hip: Do the MOSFET sinks come as standard with the board? I like the placement of the power connectors, should make wiring a bit easier and tidier :D

EDIT: Remember you said you might be inclined to swap your drives for some WD Raptors? You given it any thought, the neat SATA cabling and option of RAID might be to your advantage :naughty:

14. Nexxo

Opteron 250s. I got them half price from eBay. :D

Yes. Which is nice.

Yeah, but I think the heat would be a problem up in that corner. Anyway financially I have to draw a line under it somewhere. For what is in effect loading Half-Life 2 all of five seconds faster, I don't think it's worth the expense for now.

For those who want it, I've reproduced an accurate SketchUp model of the GPU bracket (minus the 5mm U rail --I thought people could work that bit out for themselves). See below:

[​IMG]

EDIT: by the way, the bracket is made of 2mm thickness aluminium. And I forgot one dimension: the distance from the two 3mm wide slots to the back of the bracket is 9mm. ;)

I'd be happy to add it to the SketchUp Collection, if anyone can tell me where to find a suitable host?

15. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

Nexxo,

You rock as always. Good to see the project finally up and running again. I remembered how long ago I got involved with this thread, and what it did for the wya I look at modding, and I'm somewhat speechlessas to the progress you've made. Every update looks better and better than the previous, and it almost seems like each update you come closer to what I call perfection. Keep up the good work!

-Fyber

16. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Good to see you made through the new year. I'm really impressed by the waterblocks. They came out great!. And they are all the sexier knowing that there are Opterons under them.

17. k3rnel

k3rnel What's a Dremel?

I apologize if this has been asked but, where did you get the top two carry things on the case? (Sorry do not know what they are called). They are at the front and back of the top of the case.

Thanks!

18. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

You can buy handles at any hardware store that offers cabinetry hardware. The handles on his case look like they're from luggage (LP DJ Case or something similar).

19. Nexxo

Not luggage handles (although I did look there); ringpull handles from a Marine Supplies store. Just Google for "Marine Ringpull Handles" to find them.

20. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

Such beautiful blocks. :eeek: