1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Eagle trouble

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mikaelgu, 31 Dec 2004.

1. mikaelgu

mikaelgu What's a Dremel?

While trying to make a (as small as possible) board for the Toslink converter here I've run into a problem with Eagle.

It's actually nor a huge problem and easy to get around, but it's annoying. If you look at the schematic, current is supposed to run through coil L1 to the positive end of cap c3 (c2 in my schematic as I don't need the 7805 and its front filter cap), Eagle however likes to put a direct connection between the pins of the coil (represented in my schematic by a resistor, because I initially thought there was a problem with the coil in the library). Why is it doing it?
    Also, what is the coil there for actually, I suppose it and the following cap is supposed to work as an oscillator, but why? Can it be left out? Also, does it matter "in which order" the current flows, or is it enough if it just reaches everything it should?
    Schematic here and
    board here

As usual a huge thanks in advance for any help. And the Happies New Year to everyone!

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It's just smoothing, and seems way OTT on a low current, regulated supply. :confused:

3. mikaelgu

mikaelgu What's a Dremel?

I thought so too. I'll just test the circuit on a breadborad without it and see if it works, I frankly can't see why it wouldn't as none of the datasheets mention a coil in the powering circuits... Anyway, thanks for confirming my thoughts.