1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Need help removing rivets from LL v2000B case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bighammer, 2 Jan 2005.

1. bighammer

bighammer What's a Dremel?

I want to remove the rivets from the cage on the bottom of the case to redesign the cage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

there are rivets at the top as well. I've heard that just drilling the out will do or using a hammer and flat head screwdriver would do just fine.

What im planning on doing is turning the cages on their side with the holes on the floor and top so that the air flow isnt obstructed to the hdd's. Will the hard drives be fine laying on their side like that? Also, I would need to remove a hdd slot on each cage for it to fit on its side.

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Just use a drill bit that will fit basically right inside the hole in the rivet, and they should pop right out. And yes, the hard drives should be fine on their side like that, as long as you don't move them while they're working :p

BTW~ The rest of your system kicks ass, why such an old video card?

3. Enak

Enak Also known as Kane

A drill will do just fine. Just make sureyou use the right size drill bit.

Hard Drives will operate fine in any orientation.

4. bighammer

maybe I was just thinking about the olden days when hard drives couldn't be on their side....or I'm paranoid can't tell the diff. Oh yes, also does any one have an idea as to how I can reconnect the cages on their side? Maybe if i drill the rivets our I can use screws in those holes to hold the cages? hmm could work

The old vid card is in there cuz I'm waiting on the x850xt pe to be released. This is a fairly new computer so I got some patience to wait for the new hardware

5. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Just rerevit the cage. Rivets are cheap and rivets gun's are aswell. You live in the us go to harbor freight i think i paid $30 for a rivet gun and like 1000 rivets.

6. uwannabigmak

uwannabigmak What's a Dremel?

ya, drilling works great. havent tried the screwdriver method, sounds interesting. im waiting on the x850 to be released before i can use my system... i dont wanna buy a temporary crap video card that im never gonna use again when i could be spending that money on tools or other upgrades.

7. bighammer

what sytstem do you have now uwannabigmak?

Last edited: 3 Jan 2005
  8. bighammer

infered101, i checked out harbor freight and the prices MUST be wrong.

harbor freight

This rivet gun is only $6.99. That is dirt cheap.

Last edited: 3 Jan 2005
  9. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

I tried using the drill bit thing and that didnt work to well, I ended up using my dremel with this high speed cutter
    bit i used

works really well on the lian li rivets, I took out like 20 rivets in a snap, just make sure to use oil so that your drill bit doesnt crud out on you

10. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

A note on drilling out rivets ... works much better if you first punch out the little metal piece in the center hole of the rivet that is left behind when it was installed. sometimes they are hardened metal and can cause drill bit to wander when drilling out center
    DB

11. uwannabigmak

sorry, off topic but i have a p4 3.0 GHz, 1 GB Kingston pc3200 RAM, eVGA.com NVidia FX 5700 LE, 74 GB Raptor, 160 GB Barracuda, Sony Dual Layer +/- DVD Burner, generic floppy and acrylic case

12. uwannabigmak

he said he got 1000 rivets as well... unless harbor freight had a bad price :jawdrop:

13. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

You could also use a sharp chisel and mallet, and shear the top off the rivet.

Nah, that Harbor Freight price is right. They sell mostly Chinese-made tools at super-low prices. I've bought a ton of stuff from them. :D

14. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Yea i payed like 8 for rivet gun and i rly cant remember how much for rivets it wasnt much like 10 bucks or somthing.

15. bighammer

i ordered the rivet gun a couple days ago. The package originated from my city. I could literally go to the ups store and pick it up but for some reason ups "missed the shipment" I've never heard of this before. So the rivet gun should be here tomorrow and I will finally be able to remove the rivets. I just need the gun to start so that when the hdd cage is out, I am not left with just a cage and no computer to use cuz I can't put the cage back in. Pics to come later....