1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tripple-Monitor Setup with KVM Switch?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loply, 3 Jan 2005.

1. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

Hi folks,

My main PC has three monitors attatched, and I would like to bring in a Linux box as well.

So what Id like to do is have the linux box and windows box both setup to use all three monitors, and a single mouse/keyboard.

I also want to be able to switch individual monitors between the computers (eg one monitor on windows and the other 2 on linux).

As you can see this is going to get confusing :D Do I need to buy a full blown KVM switch for each monitor, or does such a thing as a "VGA Switch" exist? If a VGA Switch, ie a switch which just turns a monitors input between two sources, existed, that would be a lot better for me as it would presumeably be cheaper and simpler.

If VGA switches exist does anybody know where to source one?

Also, is there such a thing as a Keyboard/mouse switch which isnt also a video switch?

As you can (possibly) fathom what I would like to do is have three VGA switches and a keyboard/mouse switch, so technically I wouldnt have any KVM Switches.

2. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

three kvms would do the job I guess...

3. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

4. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

Ive found a VGA switcher device for £8, so I would need three of these, £24 isnt bad.

http://www.scancom.plus.com/en-gb/dept_6.html

The device in question is not a signal processor/booster but just a mechanical switcher, so I assume the monitor will cuh-clunk and go black then come again, which is a little disappoting (does this happen with proper signal processing KVMs?)

Now I just need to decide whether to use two keyboards and two mice or whether to buy a K/M switch.