1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Learning to Touchtype.

Discussion in 'General' started by Atomic, 6 Jan 2005.

?

Can you touchtype?

1. Yes.

81.8%
  2. No. (Hunt-and-peck method)

18.2%
  1. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Thought Id finally bite the bullet and teach myself to touchtype. Damn its an ass! I got some key covers with no letter markings on so I cant cheat either :thumb:

Just wondered how many of you lot can touchtype?

2. Darv

Darv Bling!!

I can touch type a bit but I usually can't type for very long without making any spelling mistakes.

I'm always getting better though. Practice makes perfect. I would like to be able to do it properly at some point.

3. Aa-chan

Aa-chan AA-CHAN

Almost. MSN has been a god send for it to be honest but as above, can't go for too long without the odd mistake coming along :) .

4. RTT

RTT #parp

Yep, on both normal and natural keyboards... but not quite as well on laptops :D

5. westeee

westeee What's a Dremel?

i was the first to vote no

i cant touch type but i can type quite fast

6. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

I can touch type but I use my own adapted style. I.e Using some different fingers for different keys.

I was actually taught to touch type proplery in school at about the age of 10, they used to put wooden boxes over the keyboards (but with a gap in one side so you could get your hands under) so we couldn't see the keys when we typed.

7. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Instant messaging is great for learning to touch type as long as you don't use the typical "AOLspeak." Actually type things out instead of crap like "OMG U R..." "NE1..." Damn that annoys me.

8. kobaj

kobaj Banned

I can but I hate the way it feels, I prefer my methode were my first 2 finger controlls the top two rows and my second two fingers controll the bottom rows. I can go pritty fast.

9. fizban

fizban What's a Dremel?

learned to type in school, still make mistakes but I've got the 'Backspace' key down!!!!! :D

10. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

I can only touchtype properly on a natural keyboard (about 70-80WPM at 99% accuracy), on a normal one I make more mistakes just because my hands are in the wrong places so I'm slower, don't have to look though. I taught myself to touchtype at Uni playing IRC trivia (## on Quakenet) for hours every day ;)

11. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

I've got no idea if how I type is "correct" touch typing, all I know is I can type without looking at the keyboard, and I usually know if I've done a mistake and automatically hit the backspace button. Then again, I proof read everything I type as I go along.

12. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Hooray!

I know the way I touchtype isn't the proper way, I only use the first two or three fingers on each hand and my right thumb, but it gets the job done ;)

13. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Yes and No, I'm pretty good at typing fast, although I have to try and stop myself looking at the keyboard but that's hard because of the way I type - mainly first finger and thumb of left hand and first and second finger of right hand with a smattering of other fingers thrown in seemingly at random.

- H.

14. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

I can touch type, with the occasional mistake. They tried teaching me the 'proper' way at school a few years back but it was like learning to type again. I just type my own way.

15. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Yeah same as. I tried doing it properly once and it didn't feel right. I usually don't look at the screen, I just kind of stare at my desk in some kind of daze.

Switching betwen a PowerBook, an IBM Lappy and a Dell lappy plays havoc with it though. All of them have different bleedin' keyboard layouts! :duh:

16. rankie

rankie What's a Dremel?

I can type with the right fingers but normaly I have to look at the keyboard

17. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

What is 'touch type' ?

If you meant type..
    I followed typing at school, about 7/8years ago. Only did one semester, the teacher sed I was as good as most after 2 years. Probably because I chatted alot at that time.

I normally don't type much mistakes anymore. Only when I'm typing really fast, but then I know that I wrote a mistake (without looking at the screen).

So yeah I type 'blind' as we call it (without looking at your screen). On most keyboards, normal as laptop. And I learned tot type on a real typwriter (the huge things with the 'hammers' with the letters on. So I can do that aswell, but it goes alot smaller since you have to go much deeper with your fingers. But I can do that faster then most people can typ on a regular keyboard.

I hope that is what this thread was all about!

::edit:: I did, lol

L

::edit:: oh and I type the proper way (with all 10 fingers). And I can typ on AZERTY or QWERTY just have difficult finding some special characters.

18. rankie

rankie What's a Dremel?

touch typing is typing without looking at the keyboard

19. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

sometimes yes, sometimes no.

20. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Pretty well yea... some kb's are better than others though.... Not the proper touch typing though, but it gets the job done well enough....