1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some advice overclocking??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luda, 5 Jan 2005.

1. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

i recently got my hands on a cooler master aquagate and setup it up on my system and decided now wud be a good time to start overclocking so heres what i have

Intel P4 2.8GHz
    4-512 MB corsair DDR400 pc3200
    ATI all-in-wonder 9700 pro
    chaintech 9CJS zenith mobo

i tried changing my bios config to push my 2.8 to a 3 by changing the frequency i guess.. sorry if this is incoherent im a lil messed up.. from 200 to 215 and when i restarted it said intel P4 (14)*(215)at 3.01 or sumthin
    but then where it checks the memory it said something like 234*23 cleared OK
    but it wasnt just a number it had that asteriks so i knew there was my problem

my question is how to overclock you cpu without doin other things. i assume that u cant so what do you do to allow your cpu to speed up but keep other things like RAM from messing up.. thanks for the help

2. cc rass

cc rass What's a Dremel?

Increasing the FSB changes the computer. All of it. Also the memory.

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

With Intel CPU's the only way to overclock is to increase the FSB, your mobo may have an option to lock the PCI/AGP bus and you could run a divider on the memory if it cant keep up with the CPU.
    Your other option is to increase voltages to where its needed, increasing the FSB puts a strain on the RAM and Northbrige as well as the CPU, you may have to up the Vdimm, Vdd, and Vcore.

4. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

so the only way to do it is to increase the voltage on only the CPU? is this called core voltage? or how would i "your mobo may have an option to lock the PCI/AGP bus and you could run a divider on the memory if it cant keep up with the CPU."
    thanks

5. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

Erm, there is a big, stickied post at the top of this forum all about OC'ing, so you might wanna check that first :rolleyes:

6. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

i know, i read it.. but i still am not sure what to do.. about how fast can i get my 2.8? i dont really understand what happens to the ram when i increase the FSB.. so if changed the fsb from 200 to 215 wud the ram not run at ddr400 but ddr430?

7. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Yes if you ram can handle it. Your best bet is to increase the fsb in small increments (like 5mhz at a time),make sure it boots and find the limit of your cpu that way. Bearing mind you ram may also end up holding you back since you esstential overclocking that as well. To go even further you can try increasing voltage to both cpu and ram (if you find that's your limiting factor).

8. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

nooo i dont want to overclock my RAM.. 2GB is plenty.. so is it at all possible to only push the cpu?

9. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Why not overclock the ram? You arent increasing the capacity (you suggest 2gb is enough - you arent going to get another few hundred mb from nowhere!)

10. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

i know but i figure if i have all that room i wont really have a need for great speed.. and i dont wanna have my RAM unstable.. shudnt i be able to make my 2.8 go 3.01 pretty easily?

11. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

anyone?