1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project: "Are you INSANE?!" (need everyones help)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Hyjnx, 4 Jan 2005.

1. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

Yea I thought the title was kinda fitting...ive had some ideas floating in my head for a while now and well I just want to get them out so i can get going with it and with the help of Bit-tech i can possibly finish it without major complications:

So folks here we go...

My idea was this, I had an old case laying around and I had just gotten an Intel Motherboard through a best buy deal. And i have my current AMD board running in this machine. Heres where the gears started turning.

My idea was to slam 2 mobos into a case...and get a KVM switch and internally run it to each board and have a hot key switch for it...

Still with me?

Ok, well now last night i had to take sleeping pills because i couldnt turn my head off from thinkin about this stuff...Do i remove the KVM switch and run/sodder the wires individually or just have them loop out of the case and into the respective plugs...also do i undo the case let the tiny mobo from the kvm site uptop or infront w/ the ports infront for easy plug in i mean i honestly dont know how to deal with that.

Thought numba 2!!!:

Plexi-glass case. Ya I know its been done big whoop...but the fact is this one i dunno its just gonna be a bunch of fans. I know i have to get some antistatic stuff...and i was wondering if anyone could help me out figuring out what i would need to do that...i wanna Krazy Glue or something the case together...i dont want any screws holdin the case togheter...now holding the MOBO to the case obviously yes.

Now as for the fan placement...i was going to have some intakes on the front 1 top 1 middle and 1 bottem of the front...and exhausts front middle and bottem as well...now as to create a buffer so the air acctually swirls and does something rather than travel in and out..i was going to place some vertical plexi rods in there to create a somewhat vortex like if u were lookin down from the top it would look like this

-------
    | o |
    | o |
    | o |
    -------

so the plexipoles create a wind swirl for effect...

as far as dimensions i dont know about that either...obviously m going to need 2 power supplies...2 HDs (100gig sata's x2) dual channel 1gig mem sticks for both boards dvd burners on both boards...and all the additional stuff that would beed needed to go along with that...

as for design and lighting...hell if i know red or green or white or yellow...really i dont care thats like the LAST thing i will do...so yea

now heres where i need ur help...i have the idea in my head and i can invision it but im sure i left holes in my plan...so please help me realize them and help me work around them so i can get this amazing thing underway... thanks everyone

(its been a while since ive been here good to be back)

Last edited: 4 Jan 2005
  2. Eran

Eran What's a Dremel?

I would like to see this topic in a month,
    me follows : :naughty:

3. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

need a job i might get one at compusa and at home depot so i can pay for all this...its just being insane at the moment...

its just a crazy idea i have and i would like to make it true so please people help me out with the holes in my story..

4. KodiakStar

KodiakStar What's a Dremel?

Not to sound harsh, but you would need a good cooling set up..
    not sure if a swirl would work due to the fact you will have 2x
    the amount of things that make heat in there, unless you went
    for water cooling...

And pics? Need some :dremel: to be a project log :)

5. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

lol i cant exactly get u pics because i havent started it yet...im that type of person that wants everything planned out so i know it will work the way i want it to...

Also another thing that just came to mind was the fact of video cards...sound cards...and all that

as far as all the peripherals...i was thinkin just 2 wireless 108g/a cards...and for sound just using the onboard sound...for the video cards i was thinkin 9800pros (x2) and a TV wonder card (x2)...

i am most likely gonna get new mother boards...the fact is this AMD is a 1900xp chipset and the board doesnt handle much more...and my intel board is fried cuz of the VGA/onboard video doesnt work they are suppoesd to send me a new one...but yea..

as for cooling...im not too well versed in the art of water cooling...i mean i know its like 30 times better and yea not as noisey and stuff but i dont have the know how of what all i need to do..and im sure with ur help on here i could but i just know fans and thats how my idea was...i might switch if i read up and learn how to make it work...

thanks for the input...please i need it...

6. th3ory

th3ory What's a Dremel?

u got a few ideas there
    nice one

but why would u have 2 dvd burners in the system and and 2 tv tuner cards though?

wouldnt u just have a tv tuner card in one and when u wana watch tv for eg, u would just run that system and to burn dvds etc
    same as the 98 pro, u could get urself a slighter better card for 1 system and have a low end card for the other

this would keep costs down a bit

this way i think ud use more of each system and have to switch b/n them and not just use 1 system more than the other

just a suggestion :)

7. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

*bowdown* good idea

true...id probably have gaming side and an everything else side...

which chipset would be best for the gamin the Pentium 4 chip or the 64bit?

im gonna start lookin for products of what i want on both sides...

(thank you so much for that idea man)

8. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Athlon64s are the kings for gaming at the moment. Probably reccomend a 6800gt for this as well if you can afford it. If you do go for one for gaming and one for everything else, the everything else side wouldnt need to be anywhere near as powerful. Whatever you can find basically.

You might not, but this could get moved to modding for the time being as you've not started any solid work...

9. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

ok thats fine go ahead and move it over... doesnt bother me that much...

has anyone attempted the all plexi-glass case design? like i heard u need some anti-static rubbing compound stuff'n'junk. I dont know thats what i heard. Has anyone else heard about this as well?

as for the gaming side...i understand that i wouldnt need a burner...so im thinkin just something that will play dvds/cds...and i heard to go for the 6600gt because the 6800 doesnt handle rendering all that well...i dunno just some thing like that. What kind of memory should i look for i wanna do dual channel but i dont know what is recommended at the moment. I work at best buy (used to tryin to get back) and i dont know fully what is the best for gaming at the moment. hence why i come here.

for the normal side im thinkin a large hard drive and a dvd multiformat burner and probably just jack the 8500 AIW video card out of my current machine...or ill just upgrade it to a 9600 AIW. and maybe just 512 since i dont need all that much stuff.

Like if anyone could recommend to me what i should use as far as parts i would be greatly appreciated.

And if anyone could tell me what i would have to do as far as the water cooling...would i have to run 2 setups or is there one big enough to cool 2 mother boards at one time?

for the KVM switch i wanted some ideas as far as how i should approach this...im thinkin of just havin the Main ports up front for easy insert/swap...and i dont know weither or not i should soder the other wires or just have them looped out if someone could help me out with that thanks much

10. m0nk3y

m0nk3y What's a Dremel?

Hey buddy,

It looks like you have a good project on your mind, now you need to think out a clear outline before you start modding, it could save you a lot of headaches and money later.

Do consider the purpose of having two machines in one computer. You wouldn't need 2 of everything because you wouldnt use both computers at the same time. Make one PC a gaming rig and the other for video or whatnot.

I've never done it but you could desolder the ps2 ports and audio from the both motherboards and resolder the connectors internally, that way you could have your KVM switch internal and not noticeable. Most KVM switches operate by switching through the keyboard (generally scroll lock pressed twice).

Also consider apperance, if you want to be able to gloat about both PC's then you should be able to see both motherboards, you will need a really big case, probally length being the key factor so you can put the motherboards side by side. Thats what I would do, if your not worried about seeing both boards than you could invert one board and make it atx factor watx i believe which is just upside down. That way on the right side panel you have your one mainboard, and on the left side panel you can mount your other mainboard. This would kill a side window though.
    You don't really need DVD-ROM drives or whatnot for both machines, only one really needs it but if you do want both than consider mounting a 8 port switch in the back of the machine with both of your mainboards already wired to it and share your drives through the network. A plus side to that is you have instant network created when you want to invite buddies over to LAN with you....

Cooling is going to be a huge issue, you may want to desperately consider watercooling as having that many fans in one case will make it sound like you moved into a wooden shack next to a major airport.

You have a lot of options, I suggest thinking everything through and posting some pictures of what you want to do...

Everyone loves pictures :clap:

11. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

thanks for the ideas and help...

but dont run away when i get back there ur gonna be helpin me build this monster!

12. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

best buy sells mobo's?

13. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

used to...atleats mine out here in kansas did...the MD one i used to work at does

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

The 6800 is a much more powerful graphics card than a 6600; I dont know what youre talking about with the rendering problem thing :confused:

Also, since you have no pictures and the project hasnt been started, this belongs in modding, not project logs. Dreamers dont belong in this part of the forums. :)

15. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

ya i said so move it...

i never thought about the internal switch... how would i wire that with the 2 wireless cards that im going to install... plus the boards that im getting have gigabit cards :) true that nick...ur gonna have to help me out with that man...as far as i know there wont be any reason for the 2 to communicate with each other...

anyways thanks for the idea nick..

16. penski

penski BodMod

Moved to modding, please read the Project Logs rules.

Message a moderator once your project is underway to get this moved back to PL or create a new thread in PL once you have actually started your modding.

Thanks

*n

17. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

thanks...its been a while

18. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

IF you dont mind size, you could mount both motherboards back to back, and use a single mobo tray. Or if size is a problem, you could mount the expansion slots facing each other, you could get it narrower, because the cards on one mobo could envade the room on the other mobo so to speak. I hope you understand what i mean. looking from the back it would look like the setup on the front of the mod of the month (aquasphere?), thats the cards. i hope you arn't confused senseless.
    As for the kvm, try to get a 3 port, but mount one of the sets of inputs externaly, so you can plug another comp into it if you ever need it. I would just plug into the ps2 ports on the mobos, to save voiding you'r warantys on you boards.
    And if your including a kvm, put a network switch in it aswell or an adsl router, (4 port).

19. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

sorry man but i dont know what u mean...sorry...maybe an MSpaint illustration

as for the inputs...i think just loopin the wires outside would be easiest and less room for error...as for the router or the Switch...i might do both?

Shoot this is gonna be a BIG GOD DAMN COMPUTER PEOPLE! and i know this...its a custom built case so size really isnt too big of an issue...its not like im gonna slip it in my pocket and run away...ill probably put casters on it...

20. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?