1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New ram killed my GF's computer ):

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coil2, 7 Jan 2005.

1. coil

coil What's a Dremel?

Well... when I hit the power button, the drives and fans all spin up. LEDs attached to the mobo (HD, power) light up. So the PSU *works*... but I still get nothing. Could it provide enough power to all those and still not enough to the mobo?

2. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Yeah, it could be crapping out under the load. If all the components work in your rig, it looks like it could be the PSU

3. coil

coil What's a Dremel?

Victory! ish.

I finally took the last annoyance and plugged her setup (mobo/CPU/RAM/vid) into my power supply... and posted! No boot, since there were no HDDs connected, but at least we know those components work.

So now it's back to the store for a new PSU... ah well. :)

4. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

HAHA this is funny, this should go into disaster modding. :hehe:

but, was it the right kind of ram? I'm not in expert in telling wich kind is wich kind (see my 'what ram is this?' thread). So maybe it was the wrong kind of ram? so it shorted out..

But getting it in BACKWARDS?? thats impossible, either it wasnt in 'fully'.. (the two holders at the side should click in the ramstick)

haha, this is hilarious.

probably fried the mobo.

L

5. coil

coil What's a Dremel?

The final word: all clear!

We got a hot little PSU at the store, and then did a rather amusing little HDD-shuffle...

Her hard drive was (for some reason) divided into two partitions, 3GB and 37GB... the problem was that her system files were on the 37, along with everything else!! She didn't want to lose all her personal stuff, so I took the HDD out and plugged it into my computer, transferring the necessary files onto my storage drive.

Then I put it back into her computer and formatted it; I repartitioned it to 4GB and 36GB, and then installed Windows on the 4GB partition. Then it was BACK to my computer to retrieve the backed-up data, which went onto the 36. I've spent the rest of the day restoring programs, downloading necessary extras, drivers, etc. It's finally about up to stuff again, which was signalled more or less when I decided it was ready to reinstall World of Warcraft. ^^

So, happy ending, eventually. Thanks for all the help. :)