1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Via Epia NO RAM >.<

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NIEDON, 15 Jan 2005.

1. NIEDON

NIEDON What's a Dremel?

I have just purchased a Via Epia CL10000, but the sad part is i get home and look though a box of like 30 sticks of ram and find out i have no pc2100 sdram :wallbash:
    Good part is i get to go out and buy me a 1gb stick :rock:

Also, future case building come along with my new epia :dremel: :rock:

2. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

3. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

pc 2700 and pc 3200 should have worked

4. NIEDON

NIEDON What's a Dremel?

says that it will support up to 1gb pc2100 ddr 266 sdram

5. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

Yes but 2700 or 3200 will also work. It just wont be able to take advantage of the higher rated speed. It will cap out at ddr 266 and thats it.

6. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

some 3200 or 4000 won't work that slow now, for reasons why google up on sdram.

7. KingofHearts

I saw no reference to google to what you were saying. All I got was thousands of posts from people using 3200 ram at 2100 and 2700 speeds successfully.

It is not that big of a difference. The chance that the ramwould not run slow enough is so small its rediculious. If he has a whole box he can certainly try and I most definatly would because it would save money.

My own personal view is its just yet another person dying to prove someone wrong when the fact remains that 99% of the human population would not have a problem running 3200 ram and lower speeds and you know it. BUT, if some obscure reference somewhere tells you different and you want to believe it or it just makes you feel better in general go ahead. We both know as I mentioned before that 99 percent of the human population would not have a problem doing this. Post in any forum such as overclockers.com and they will tell you the same.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2005
  8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I had a similar thing except it was my PC4000 CAS2.5 wouln't run CAS3 at low speeds (it did CAS2.5 fine though). You can always try tightening the timings to get it to run at the slower speeds I suppose :hehe:

But still, just abuot any DDR ram should have no problems at PC2100.

9. KingofHearts

2700 and 3200 can run at 2100 speeds often times because it is in fact 2100. I actually have quite a few sticks of corsair 3200 that are really 2700. Ramguy on the corsair forums has alot of threads about this.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

ive ran ram capable of PC4800+ speeds at PC2100 speeds before :eyebrow:

11. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

in practice it might only manifest with CL timing style errors, but in theory its more than possible.

the idea is, your ram is been refreshed at x speed, the now it might not be able to hold it at <x speed. This does happen when you start whacking SDRAM at too slower speeds on micros. Its improbable to happen at high speeds, but if you try and use PC100, at say 33mhz, it happens (well it did with me!).

If you want to find out how RAM types work more, try google, not googling for people having the problems, a knowledge of a bug isn't as useful as an understanding of it.

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

i understand that in theory it could be a problem, but ive played with a lot of ram at a lot of speeds and never had issues (including PC133 SDRAM at 33MHz)

13. KingofHearts

the discussion wasnt about pc100. it was about pc2100 ddr. there is a huge difference. pc 3200 is just cheerry picked picked 2700 and ramguy from corsair has stated this several times. The same goes for 2100. 2100, 2700 and 3200 will all be interchangable wich is what the primary discussion was.

14. KingofHearts

15. NIEDON

NIEDON What's a Dremel?

YES!!! i knew i had a stick hiding somewhere :rock:
    i found a stick of pc2100 266 256mb hiding on asnother mobo :D

16. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

You do realize you could have tried ANY stick of DDR memory? :eyebrow:

17. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

This thread started out as absolutely nothing...no question, no real comment, nothing anyone here could have helped with. All it was was someone stating their problem...for absolutely no reason. Now, should this have been in the "for sale" forum, it would have made more sense, because one could interpret it as him asking if anyone had PC2100 cheap.

But, this thread simply turned into a pissing contest, with no real value...

:eyebrow:

And yes, for 99.9% of the people who know how to correctly install a stick of RAM, higher clocked RAM will work at lower clock speeds...

18. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

a mates found some generic stuff (i'm going to try n find out who fab'd the chips) its 333, refuses to work at 266 without errors, but has no errors at 333. in 2 other boards. Took some crucial 333 put it in there, no errors

memtest86+ latest version used for all testing, the new stuff has gone throu all tests now with no errors! (its only 256meg).

so looks like we've got a problem with that.

or its the mobo of that machine (shuttle) but either way its a nice one, while its probably voltage levels in that box or something, i thought i'd mention it to remind people to keep an open mind and try n make this more useful than just a pissing contest.