1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics BFG 6800 Ultra problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elmo, 16 Jan 2005.

1. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

I've built a new PC with the following specs:

AMD A64 3500+
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC 256MB
    1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200

Once I had it all built, I went to boot it up, expecting some sort of error, but got none. Windows install went smoothly, and I got all the updates including SP2 with no problems at all. I went to run AquaMark 3 to bench this new beast of mine... but I got artifacts on the menu. I decided to run the test, and the PC froze.

So, I thought that maybe it was too hot. I check the temps, and after a few minutes it's at 62*C? That's kinda hot, no? So, I figured maybe different drivers. I had been running the 66.93 drivers, so I tried to 66.81 drivers. Now I get bluescreens.

Whenever a program requires the use of the graphics acceleration (i.e. DXdiag tests, AM3, movies, etc) the whole PC would slow right down till it wouldn't respond, hang for a bit then chug along. And finally either crash or clear itself.

I was looking around, trying to see what was wrong... when I noticed the cards clock speeds. Core/mem was 454/1179!! And I hadn't touched them! I tried to lower the clock speeds, but I get errors each time saying that the speeds selected won't work, and I should try lower ones. Eh? I tried increasing the voltage to the card, but that didn't help either.

So now I'm stuck. I don't really know what to do. Can anyone help?

2. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

It's probably a power problem. I have the same issue with my Gainward 6800 Golden Sample.

Try clocking down the card speed to 400/1100 and try again.

If it works now, your 12V lines may be running low (check the 12V figure in corecell) if this is the case New PSU time.

If this does not fix it then RMA the card or search for a BIOS update (Card bios not board BIOS)

Also:In the Nvidia Drivers interface, check your AGP inerface screen. The NF3 drivers supplied with that Mobo are hopelessly crap. Update your BNF drivers from the Nvidia website, ingludingthe GART drivers.

If non of the above works then definitely RMA the card.

6800Ultra factor6y overclocked cards are almost impossible to get to run at overclocked speeds unless EVERYTHING is perfect on your machine.

3. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

i tried lowering the clock speeds... but it wont let me. i tried with multiple programs. thanks for the tips!

4. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Install Motherboard Monitor: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ (its free)
    and download the graph plugin, this will monitor your voltages over time and you'll be able to see any fluctuations and then decide if you need a new PSU.

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

google for "coolbits" and install that registry entry, that will let you over clock via the nvidia control panel

62C is completely finr for the temps, graphics cards run a lot hotter than cpus and can take much more heat before they pop
    what power supply are you using?

6. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

7. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

the power supply looks to be ok from the specs (quite hefty 12v rail)

its interesting that you cant overclock in coolbits :eyebrow:
    Are there any BFG tools running in the background? i know that when the gainward thing is running on mine, you can change the clock speeds but then it reverts back to the ones in the gainward tool

8. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

Well, I made a small breakthrough. I realized that I had both power connectors for the 6800 coming from one rail. I changed it around a bit, and made it so there was two rails, one for each power connector, and tried aquamark. It didn't freeze up as much as before, but it was still practically unusable even at the menu.

afaik, BFG doesnt install anything that runs in the background. the overclocked bits are factory stock. coolbits wont let me even UNDERCLOCK the card.

9. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

Kensei, I couldnt find those BNF drivers... but I found the GART ones. could you link them for me?

10. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Just in case it might help, try using NVTweak instead of coolbits for under/over clocking. NVTweak has replaced coolbits.

11. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

12. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

could you explain to me how i can go about doing that? im not sure whcih drivers are which and i dont want to bugger up this nice new computer :(

13. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

Your mobo is nForce 2 right? Those look like the updated motherboard drivers to me. Real simple to update, just like the graphics ones. Just click yes and next and oK and you're sorted :)

Definately only use official nVidia graphics drivers for your card instead of anything off windows or BFg disks - had problems with my 5900XT because of wierd gigabyte drivers.

14. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

His mobo is Nforce 3

15. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

Just install the full package i have linked for oyu, EXCEPT the Nforce sound drivers.

Then download the 66.93 graphics drivers from Nvidia and run those.

This SHOULD sort you out.

16. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

I've tried everything short of flashing the BIOS on both the motherboard and graphics card. I've tried multiple different drivers. Each time I would:

1- Uninstall driver
    2- reboot into safe mode
    3- run driver cleaner
    4- reboot back into safe mode
    5- install new drivers
    6- boot normally

each time, same problem. I did have some wierd artifacts in the BIOS when I first had this system up and running. I think what I will do is do a totally clean install of windows, install the nVidia drivers save for the sound drivers, and the 66.93 drivers for the card. If that doesn't work, I'll try a motherboard BIOS flash. If THAT doesn't work, I'll call up BFG and arrange for a RMA.

Apparantly I'm not the only one with this problem. In fact, quite a few people have this problem, but not so bad as me. I can't even get it to run a bench, whereas they freeze in a bench. Not fair :(

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

From what I've read the aspire PSUs are good for nothing other than being flashy, and are utter crap in the performance department. I'd REALLY bet it's related to that, it was what I'd of said before I even read what unit you had. Get yourself a nice antec unit or something.

18. Elmo

Elmo What's a Dremel?

Well, I have tried everything short of flashing the BIOS on the card and the mobo, and nothing has worked. a new PSU from OCZ, different RAM, different motherboard/CPU, Windows XP home and pro, different drivers.... nothing has worked. card is getting sent back in exchange for an X800XT. I've never had much good to say about nVidia, and this was just the icing on the cake. know I know why i alwasy stuck with ATi.... no problems with them in the last 4 cards i have had from them.

thanks for all your help guys.

19. Solutions

Solutions What's a Dremel?

That sounds like a heat or voltage issue to me. If you are getting artifacts on your monitor before Windows loads the video drivers then your card is having serious issues (NOT related to Windows, drivers, etc).

Did you mess with the stock GPU Heatsink/Fan? Maybe replace it with a water-cooled block? If you did then you may want to remove the block, clean it, re-apply Artic Silver or thermal compound and let it cure for a few hours. Then reboot and see if the artifacts are still there. Also, you may want to check your BIOS settings for the AGP or PCIX. If you are overclocking be sure to lock the PCI bus speed to 33MHz.

GL, hope you got it working and didn't have to RMA/return.

Tags: