1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor CCL blew PSU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dunkster, 14 Jan 2005.

1. dunkster

dunkster What's a Dremel?

My SN45G has been running fine for months, but today when i plugged in a pair of 4" CCL's, my 250W SilentX PC40 blew. It was fine for 30secs but then it just died. Its my understanding that these things can handle a fair amount, and i only have 2HDD's, a DVD-RW, an Athlon 2500+ and a FX5200 running. Was this a faulty inverter problem, faulty PSU problem? I am reluctant to plug these CCL's into any new PSU i purchase. Any advice would be welcome.

Regards, dunkster.

2. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

What kind of HDDs do you have? IDE drives take more power than SATA drives.

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this, I mean it is a SFF pc but it is a problem so shouldn't it go into modding? Eh whatever.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

ouch - good luck getting it sorted!

4. dunkster

Cheers Harlequin. Its in SFF, as only shuttle owners will have experience of the limits of the shuttle psu.

5. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

2 HDDs would have put some load on the PSU but as you can stick a 6800/X800 with no problems on a 200W bog-standard PSU with no problems I think it must've been your inverter. You could try a new one on the new PSU with only 1 HDD plugged in and see if it works (keep your fingers crossed). Also, only plug in a single cathode because they do draw some current. Unfortunately the 12V rail on shuttle PSUs tend to be undervolted which could cause random reboots if it's too stressed.

6. dunkster

Cheers for the advice. Ive tested a second inverter i have on a friends PC, all be it not a shuttle, and it seemed ok. I have a new 250W SilentX on order, and i will be adding to the load on that one gradually.

Regards, dunkster.

Tags: