1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Slimbox, small fileserver. Update 15/2, chuck the choke

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rool, 8 Sep 2004.

1. Xoddoza

Xoddoza What's a Dremel?

Looks excellent. THe models at the start are very nice. Look forward to the end result.

2. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

If you need a smaller power supply I have a spare 200w TFX12V PSU with ActivePFC.
    [​IMG]

3. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

I'm using one of the first generation Epias, with an 800Mhz Eden processor.
    http://www.viaembedded.com/product/epia_mini_itx_spec.jsp?motherboardId=21
    It does what it should, and combined with 384Mb RAM the performance is ok.
    Thanks for the offer, but I think the shipping across the pond + our crazy customs would make it quite expensive for me. I think I'll just combine this psu with some modding.

I've soldered the LCD but with my poor soldering skills I haven't had the guts to power it up just yet. I thought about isolating all solderings using hot glue to avoid catastophic short circuits. Does someone know if hot glue is an appropriate isolator? What should I use otherwise?

4. mondriaan

mondriaan What's a Dremel?

Hot glue is an perfect isolator. I use it often when I've done soldering ant havn't had any trouble yet.

5. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

Ok, I'll go ahead and use that then. I think I have some sticks left but I can't seem to find my glue gun.

Anyway, small update. Got the corners of the plexi sanded down now. Borrowed a sander from my dad and had it done in like 5 minutes. I'm down to 150 grit now, don't know if I'll go any further.

[​IMG]

Unfortunatley the sanding meant too much stress for one of the araldite bondings. It broke and I had to do it again. At first I thought I would have to spend lots of time getting it aligned properly, but it wasn't all that hard.

[​IMG]

I'll go look for my glue gun now, and try to get those solderings isolated. They do not look pretty but it took me so long to do them that I won't spend any more time soldering in this project.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

later

6. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

7. jonoc

jonoc What's a Dremel?

Why not use this power supply that is made for what you are doing instead of a desktop one. 60 watts will definately handle your system. It's cheap. It's small (160mmx45mm). It uses a fanless external brick like a laptop and it's efficient so it won't create as much extra heat as a desktop psu. The only downside for you is the cost. I have a 120W PSU running my AMD64 3000+ w/ a 3.5" SATA drive and a 5.25" DVDRW. It's AWESOME!

edit: I just noticed that you are in Sweden. I've seen many places in Europe that carry them, but none in Sweden I think. Just off the top of my head, mini-itx.com

8. rool

rool What's a Dremel?

Update 15/2, chuck the choke

Ok small update again, could use some help with mounting ideas here.
    I did cut the choke from the PSU to make it fit. Now I need to mount it somehow.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The choke is 40x40x62mm and weighs about 270 grams. I guess glue is out of the question when it comes to mounting it.

The idea right now is to somehow attach it to one of the bars (above the harddrive in picture above) but how to do this. The metal box housing the choke can be removed and then I would have two mountingholes.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think I could use a piece of metal and mount it vertically, i.e. mount the choke to a piece of metal and then mount the metal to the bar:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Do you think it would work? The choke is quite heavy. Could there be any risks in removing the metal casing and mounting it so close to the motherboard?

Also, the LCD is dead. Don't know if it's my solderings that are bad but it never lit up. Might go back and check it but I don't feel like it right now.

Thanks

9. rebox

rebox What's a Dremel?

the case is looking good.

Not sure about mounting the PSU like that, might get some real interfearance from it. But the only way to know is to test.

Have a trade for you :)

Send me the Audi and the display and I'll fix the display for you and return it :thumb: