1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

You also said you killed it...

2. Sonic Deadline

Sonic Deadline What's a Dremel?

Not conpletely, it still ran, but the PC said it was going to fail.

3. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

I had an ATI 7500 that I attempted to put a new heatsink on. During removal of the factory HS (which I was retardedly prying off with a screwdriver), I slipped and gouged all of the PCB traces along one edge of the GPU.

I plugged it back in and all I got was a bunch of random multi-colored stripes across my monitor. I replaced it with an ATI 8500 (I loved that video card, I wish I still had it...it was far better than my current FX 5200!)

4. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

well i must be lucky or it could be the fact i'm only 13 but i've only blown one PSU and guess what.......it wasn't mine :jawdrop: it was ok though the guy was gonna replace it soon anyway since it wasn't giving enough juice for his rig.......if you wanna know how i did it, well all i did was accidentally knock the line volage from 230V to 110V so when he turned it on POOF wihte coud from the rear of his comp luckily the rest of his comp was ok..........but wait its not the end, then when he got a new psu he was unplugging a usb something from his comp and its connector went into one of his open PCI pannels and shorted :wallbash: the exposed VGA terminals on the GFX card.......it was only a 9600 so it didn't cost him too much :D and his stupidily big 24" dell monitor was ok

5. Diablo668

Diablo668 What's a Dremel?

I broke my ex girlfriends brother's p4; he asked me to replace the heatsink since he wasn't experienced yet; seemed the ****er was glued to the heatsink; busting the socket; well he didn't mind after all; he ended up getting a new pc.

Broke a few lancards; one because of a static discharge (remember kids; always watch out for static); and one because I was to damn lazy to remove it while using the dremel on my old pc

Killed a screen; gfx and mainboard on my first pc; was sow neewbie back then; that i didn't even knew that i connected the screen wrong and bended a pin; course the pc fried when i turned it on; well what you expect from a 11year old with no prior pc experience and no good supervision... thanks alot dad (wel lets not get into that...)

killed another mainboard by static discharge

killed other varios parts between age 11 and 15; like ltp; serial; a few mouses; keyboards; diskdrives; harddrives; ...

well atleast i haven't killed any essential pc parts in the last few years; only some ccfl and a few convertors for that; note about that; condensators make a lot of noise when they blow up; and you will smell them for like a week

6. Roachmill

Roachmill What's a Dremel?

Ever done one of these?
    [​IMG]

7. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

That doesn't look too good. What happened?

8. Roachmill

Didn't have little tiny torx wrench.
    [​IMG]
    :dremel: But it did occur to me right after this to just make a little slot to get a flat screwdriver into. :duh:

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

You didn't have the correct tool to take a screw out of a PCB...so you decided to go ahead and Dremel the f***er out?? :duh:

10. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

That's a smart idea! Why didn't I think of it?

_C

11. Roachmill

It's still good...
    [​IMG]
    ...as long as you don't get too close.

12. Veryphatpepsi

Veryphatpepsi What's a Dremel?

Heh, awhile back when I was young and stupid... about 3 years ago haha... i got a new comp for Christmas. only a 20 gig hard drive. and like 1.3ghz amd processor. and a 64ddr mx440 video card... well.. i didnt take care of it and it got loaded with spyware and viruses. It came to the point where i didnt care about the machine at all. the mobo didnt read my cdrom at all and etc. it wasnt a bad rig at the time and i was only 13. my dad warned me of spyware and etc, but i didnt care... well.. now about 3 months ago i was so fed up with it because i couldnt even download and install sp2 for windows that i opened the case and took the hs/fan off the processor and turned it on with the side still open so i could watch the smoke come off the processor :D it gave me so much satisfaction and enjoyment. i hated that machine so it made me feel really good.. :clap:

I'm building a comp for a friend and he ordered a raidmax case.. well.. it came and i took the psu out of it and put a better one in... then another friend wanted to use the 420watt psu that came with the raidmax. we installed it and i plugged it in.. a weird noise and lots of sparks later, i quickly unpluged it. kinda upset me. luckily it didnt kill any of his components in his comp. (yes, it was on the right voltage... :thumb: )

not a bad record for being 16 years old.. haha.. i have much to learn... well... im out...

AJ

13. btk100

btk100 What's a Dremel?

Reading those post make me fell a little better...lol

For my part, I found a PS1 LCD screen after searching for about 3 months, then I carefully did the wiring for VGA and tested it, everything went so smooth!

Then, I put my naked screen on my desk in the meentime (?) to get a good casing for it. One day....boom....an old HD that I had open and keep on my desk felt on my screen, which totally cracked from one side to the other... :wallbash: :waah:

O well, I guess I wasn't meant to have a PS1 LCD....

14. TMM

TMM Modder

15. alter_ego

alter_ego What's a Dremel?

i broke a hauppage pvr350 buy pulling off one of the vrms when i was takin it out of my natec :duh:

16. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

I did that once, loud bang, smoke, bits of plastic, worked for the rest of the PCs life!!! When I finally got round to replacing the PSU, I opened it up, and one of the capacitors heads had completely blown off and was leaking the acid liquid stuff. Still shocked it worked!!

17. purepope

purepope Banned

i have broket a wire lol, i though this was a led light (man im stupid sometimes) so i pluged into the motherboard not thinking at all then i tested the computer and WOW it shot out smoke like nimbin after a good rain. quickly turned off, it was the power cable i burn but my comp still works fine
    the cord is like this --------[0000]=======[...] hope u can understand tha as well as me :eeek:
    im 14 going on 15 this 8th of feb (lucky my :D) iv never open up a computer till 2 weeks ago and when i did, i somewhat happened to know what everying went and stuff, (expt that cable) and iv fixed 2/5 computers that my mums work thru away! lucky me!

18. Pyrthas

Pyrthas What's a Dremel?

I recently dropped my FX-53. Spent a while bending pins back, and it's working fine now, but that gave me quite a scare. Especially when I picked it up, turned it over, and saw all the lovely bent pins. I wasn't keeping count, but there were at least 30. And some made nice sounds when being bent back into place.

So, should I be planning on buying a new cpu soon, or is this thing gonna keep working for a while (assuming that I don't drop it again...)? :p

19. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

I don't think there would be any problems, as long as all the pins are in the right places(and attatched to the CPU, of course). Kind of reminds me when I almost broke the same P4 ship twice in one day. First I dropped the bare chip on a hard tiled floor while cleaning off thermal pad residue. Afterwards, I applied new thermal compound and placed the chip in a mobo with the HSF, only to check on it later and find out that the chip wasn't secure in the socket and came out stuck to the HSF when I removed it 0_o. Thankfully, the mobo wasn't in a computer.

20. Mord

Mord What's a Dremel?

So far I have managed to kill!

Radeon 7000 - £30

Sapphire Radeon 9600pro - £130

Sapphire Radeon 9800pro - £140 + £30 (after market mods)

Epox 8rda3+ Nforce2 board - £40

800mhz Duron using custom heatsink - £5

1Ghz Duron using custom heatsink - £5

Custom heatsink - £15

3 x Generic 350watt PSU's - 3 x £15

A few mice, a few joysticks, a few keyboards - £40

2 x 40gb HDD - £50? ish

Total amount

£500+

Respect. :rock: