1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on how to disable a friends computer

Discussion in 'General' started by The Suicide King, 24 Jan 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

That's what's wrong with todays community... :duh:

2. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

there might be an easier way if shes on the college's network and is using
    their connection have the admin of the network just disable her access during those hours otherwise just ring up her isp pretend to be her and cancel her account by the time she works out whats wrong and she manages to get the account reactivated it will at least have given you time to make her have a shower and get her books.

3. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Will someone ban him already? :p

This is a pretty serious problem. How is she still in school if she's missing all her classes? Does she somehow still manage to pass all of them?

4. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

Here's a (possibly dangerous) idea:

You're in the states, right? i.e. 110volt mains. If you're lucky the PSU will have a little red voltage selector. *Hopefully*, if you switch this to 230, the PSU will work erratically if at all, until you switch it back to 110. Hardly anyone knows about it, and even a service engineer would be unlikely to notice the problem. And by the time she's got one of those out, it would be more than enough time to shower, get books and stuff. I would just do it for a day or so, so she don't waste money on calling Dell out.

5. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

I'm pretty sure dell's don't have voltage selectors - the PSUs of all the dells i've seen are region-specific.

Seriously dude, I know you are doing this with the best of intentions, but it's really none of your business. It all sort of smells like meddling to me. Fair enough, if she is messy, or if she literally smells, you need to talk to her, or if the lack of work she is doing is impacting on your studies (I'm from the UK so I have my own room at uni), you need to talk to her about it, but that is because it's causing a problem for YOU. From what you've said it doesn't sound like you two are really friends, so what the hell business is it of yours if she fails her classes? I'm not an uncaring person but this is someone who sounds like they don't want to be helped. If her hygiene or housekeeping is getting to you though i would raise it with her, because that's just not fair. If she doesn't listen to you get the (american version of) the hall wardens involved, that tends to sort things out when there's a problem over here.

Hope i didn't offend you with anything above, if i did it wasn't intentional.

AH

6. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Sorry to break it to you, but putting a voltage selector to 230 on a psu connected to 110 does absolutely nothing, we do it all the time in the computer lab at school hoping they will blow up, nothing happens. They don't even turn off.

7. essjaytee

essjaytee emtarkanderundergunderson

simply create a registry file internetoff.reg and insert this code:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
    "Connection Settings"=dword:00000001
    "Connwiz Admin Lock"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001
    "ProxyServer"="127.0.0.1:5555"

run that and without doing anything physically to the pc the Internet simply will not work.

to turn it back on create another file interneton.reg and insert this code:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
    "Connection Settings"=dword:00000000
    "Connwiz Admin Lock"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
    "ProxyEnable"=dword:00000000
    "ProxyServer"=""

run that and it magically will work again.

8. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

i tend to agree with fgod on this, she needs a pimp slap wake up call of some sort.

stage an intervention. get some of her friends together and make her aware of what she is doing to herself, physically and educationally. or since you might be taking photos of her anyway, send some to her folks (esp if they are paying for her education), and let them know you are concerned about how she has been living, and that you fear she may not pass b/c of her actions (inactions?). if she is particularly pungent, give her a giftbasket of soap, shampoo, deoderant, etc as a subtle hint that good hygeine benefits her, as well as all the folks within scent range...
    if her lifestyle gets to the point that it is disrupting your studies, talk to the resident advisor. see if you can switch rooms or something. don't let her drag you down with her!

and post some pics :)

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I'm sorry, but that is a valid question. kobaj and ArtificialHero have a point here.

@ The_Suicide_King (hey, we all have to excell at something): Why are you assuming responsibility for this girl's life? Are you her parent? Is she a child? Perhaps she needs to take some adult responsibility for her own behaviour and face the consequences if she does not. If you keep rescuing her, she won't learn to set boundaries on herself and engage some healthy self-discipline.

If you feel however that, for some reason, she is incapable of doing this --because she is depressed, has fear of failure issues or has an addictive behaviour problem (and it sounds to me that she possibly may have some problem in that area) then you should share your concerns with Student Guidance/Counselling or whoever is the appropriate person in your college. Cutting her off the net will achieve nothing --she will just get her kicks somewhere else.

This is a problem that cannot be cured by trying to remedy the symptom. Hand this one over to the professionals, OK?

10. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

dude you're just being nosey :p

there's nothing wrong with getting up at 11 and playing on t'internet til 5am :D i have bought 2 textbooks in the last 3 years, and am failing my degree quite well :/

maybe she's aiming to become a drop-out... all the cool kids are doing it :hip:

// i do shower though... and the reason my room smells is the dead body under the floorboards... nothing to do with my massive pile of unwashed dishes on the desk :worried:

11. The Suicide King

The Suicide King What's a Dremel?

Replying to lots of things here:

Suicide Kings are the king of hearts in a deck of cards. :D They hold a knife to their head. I think they're cool. Onwards.

Yes, we are, or were friends. We were really close, which is the reason that I keep wanting to help, or inhibit her super-slacking. I know, I'm not her parent, she's an adult, I should just let her fail but not only is it painful to watch, it's really frustrating to be on my side reading my ass off, while she's on her side wasting space. (Remedy for peaceful studying = the library. I live there now...)

I appreciate all the suggestions. If nothing else, I know clever ways to mess with the internet, but I'm thinking I may hold off on that. I agree, I should talk to someone involved in the university, and I probably will.

Nexxo, yea, she does have problems with depression. I'm not going to go into it, really, that's not my place. She goes into bouts of not wanting to go to class/face people/deal with the world/eat/bathe/sleep, etc. and just has pity parties. On the bright side, this forces me to do other things, away from the room. I'm more social than I have been in years. But you can't avoid your room all the time, and it's hard to fall asleep in a room where the silence is interrupted by a fanatical rain of typing. Getting a white noise machine to fix that.

Sorry this is so ungodly long, and you all really have valid opinions. Why do I care? She's stopped being a friend to me, so I ought to do the same. It's just hard. So, thanks to everyone who posted. I'm opting for talking with someone, and a possible intervention if it gets any worse. And then, if she gets bitchier towards me than she has been, there may be a retaliation internet strike. :naughty:

Bah. :wallbash:

12. Nexxo

I sympathise. It is really hard to watch a friend struggle but some battles they have to fight for themselves; you cannot do it for them. I am not saying you should stop caring, but realise that in the end, her life is her responsibility, and under her control (even if she is not exerting it right now), not yours.

Definitely. :thumb: And remember: you can take the help to her, but it will be up to her to make use of it.

You are right to respect her privacy. She sounds like she has big issues and although I could go into some lenghty explanations of what I think is going on, I will just say that her problems are best left for the professionals to help her with. Meanwhile, you look after yourself. :thumb:

13. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

Nobody cares about her problems, or lack thereof.
    There is only one thing we want to know:
    Is she fit?

:clap: PICS?!?!?!? :clap:

(sleeping you say?.....Nightwear....? ;) )

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Because she's apparently an unshowered, smelly skank, no.

15. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

I suggest you try those methods, if it doesnt work... get a new roomate or move out rofl...

16. kobaj

kobaj Banned

I already posted a suggestion so I have a another question now, Why the hell do you all want to see a smelly pig (sickos) quite asking for pics.

17. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

so where are the pics of the smelly pig roomie already? sexy! :D

i just want to see how bad this is.... like looking at a bad car wreck. cripes, people post pics of their injuries on here, so why not an hygenically challenged roomie?

18. sheardjr

sheardjr Minimodder

If your cable modem has a site blocking feature, block '*' and 'forget the admin panel password' :)

19. Nexxo

OK, we are now crossing the boundary of decency. All useful contributions have been made. Don't make us take steps. :blah:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.