1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC: Project1970 (completed 20. Feb)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bard, 1 Jan 2005.

1. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

great woodwork. great job all over. one idea for the legs u could go to an junkyard or an furniture disposal or something in this direction. maybe u find an old 70th table with nice legs. would give the whole project an original touch. anyway keep on modding :dremel:

2. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

First an update on the plexi work:
    Here's the DVD cover all shiny and ready for use:
    It's a bit hard to take a good picture of, as the reflected image becomes darker than the actual image, making it hard to find a good exposure time.
    [​IMG]

I've finished all the spray coats on the table top as well. It turned out great. It did, however, let some light through when I held a lamp up behind it, so I went out and bought some black paint. I'm just applying this paint with a brush as it's not going to be visible anyway. These coats of black paint will also make the table top more durable, resisting scratches from below.
    [​IMG]
    If it becomes this glossy on the underside, imagine the top :D

Now to the woodwork:
    I've sanded the whole thing with 100 and 150 grit paper. I then used a fiber cloth to make it even smoother.
    [​IMG]

Now here comes the (in my mind) most important trick of them all when it comes to getting a smooth surface when staining and varnishing:
    If you just sand the wood and apply stain to it afterwards, the wooden fibers will start to rise, giving you a rough surface. This can't be sanded down, because that will remove most of the stain as well. Use a wet cloth and moisturize all of the wood. When this dries, the fibers will have risen equally. Just sand down the wood once more, and when you apply the stain/varnish, the wood will stay smooth.
    [​IMG]

3. Eran

Eran What's a Dremel?

Can't wait for another update!!!! :clap:

4. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

deffo,

Looks great dude:)

- S

5. Anthony

Anthony What's a Dremel?

Looking goood, more updates!!! :hehe: :hehe:

6. bard

Thanks, people! And it's your lucky day...

While waiting for the black paint to dry I've started on the power and eject switches.

The switches as seen before:
    [​IMG]

I printed the power and eject symbols on transparent adhesive film (Press-it papers really...)
    [​IMG]

For the black to be completely opaque, I printed each symbol three times and put them on top of each other. I also added a clear layer on top, so you won't get ink on you when pressing the buttons...
    [​IMG]

I stuck the symbols to the previously shown plexi pieces (don't mind the dust...):
    [​IMG]

And here's the result backlit by an LED (will of course be better when I get a diffuser for the light):
    [​IMG]

7. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

That looks good! :dremel:

8. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

the case looks outstanding! really clean cuts! but why did you make it so large?

9. bard

Heh, the size... I was actually going to make a case smaller than my current one. But then I decided to add those curves, and it grew a bit... I could have made it about 10cm shorter, but that would interfere with the design. Remember, it isn't a case. It's a table...

10. noCode

noCode What's a Dremel?

I just have to say that this is so far one of my favorite mods of all times!

It's just so beautiful!

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I see a lot of skill... :hip:

12. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

This is a very classy mod. Really like the woodwork.
    Have you found the legs you want yet? Seems I've seen those around some where...I'll look and post back if I find them.

Really nice project!

13. [Tom]

[Tom] Minimodder

How about Woodfit for the legs....they have some pretty stylish ones on there- especially the s/steel tapered on the 2nd page.

14. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Well, I found a couple of sources, but they are not exactly what your looking for:

US source:
    Closet Masters

These guys have something very similar:
    B&Q

I think these legs would make a good alternative:
    hafele

I hope these sources help!

15. bard

Thanks for the links, but those are way too expensive to be pre-made :worried: (I like making things on my own, even though it's usually cheaper to just buy it..)

I've found a place where I can buy aluminum tubing quite cheap, so I'll try to fabricate a leg from that. I'll let you know how it goes.

I haven't had much time to work on this project lately, but I think I will have some time on Friday.

16. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

cool hope the work comes out ok

17. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Great project once again bard, excellent ideas and skills in this one too.

Very good idea btw, hope the rest of the work goes well :dremel:

18. bard

Small update:

[​IMG]

This is how it looks at the moment. The whole thing has been stained and given four coats of glossy varnish (with polishing in between).
    The stain is a mixture of mahogany and cherry, with some added water so it wouldn't be so dark. The stain is applied in two coats, and together with the polyurethane varnish it gives the wood a nice shine, almost like stained birch (it is really pine).
    The black table top turned out just as I hoped for. Maybe even a bit too shiny... :worried:

I have done som experimenting with aluminum pipes, but I haven't taken any pics of it yet..

19. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

lookin good

may i ask what it is sitting on right now it seems like the frame from the desk we have at my school

20. MAD_OCM

MAD_OCM What's a Dremel?

looks fantastic,

im building a wooden HTPC case myself, nothing like your though.

its a nice change to be working with computers and wood.