1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V £150-£200 for SoundCard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rowan57, 21 Jan 2005.

1. rowan57

rowan57 What's a Dremel?

Ok, cheers guys, this thread will make life easier when i come to choose :)

2. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Nah you want this...

[​IMG]

3. penski

penski BodMod

Kevo has a cap fetish...

*n

4. dom_

dom_ --->

want!!!! :jawdrop:
    what is it, how much and where from.

5. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

6. -:: M@ ::-

-:: M@ ::- Testify!

Eltax Monitor 3's? If so I own them, veery nice bassy speakers for the money, best budgetish speakers I could find, mmmm :p By the Cambridge Audio - im guessing your a Richersounds man, btw theres no point spending £200 on a soundcard to put through a £80-100 amp at all really, as your going to be loosing the audiophile quality given from a +£100 soundcard via the amp,and to be honest the speakers aswell, best looking at the £70 M-audio card, its v.good value for money, nice card, and you aint gonna notice the difference between it and the £200 one apart from in your wallet...

- M@

7. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

If your budget can stretch to £200, then for music your best bet would be a decent soundcard such as an M-Audio revolution (~£70) and an external DAC (such as the M-Audio superdac, Cambridge DACMagic or various other offerings from hifi manufacturers).

Hook the sound card up to the DAC via an optical lead (preferable to co-axial as a PC is full of RF interference which you don't want getting into your hifi via an electrical link), then the DAC to the hifi with some RCA leads. For music playback this is pretty much the optimum method :)

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I don't think it's even necessary to get a card as nice as the revo for an optical output. The USD $25 Chaintech AV-710 is a popular budget card, and it has third party drivers that are supposed to give it a good optical out.

9. dom_

dom_ --->

dacs are so 90's man

no need for them to be offboard now

10. rowan57

rowan57 What's a Dremel?

I wanna get a decent sound card because i might be inheriting a kick ass system from my grandpa soon, + ya am a richersounds man, ive had this system for like 6 years and it hasnt failed me yet, + yes i think your right about the speakers.

Rowan

11. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Getting the DAC out of the PC is a case where an offboard DAC has a big advantage - the interference within a PC has a big effect on the sound (a PC is a darned noisy electrical environment, with switch mode power supplies, loads of different clocks) so taking the analougue stage out of the PC is a big help/

Plus with a DAC you can run other things through it as well as the PC - cd player, freeview box, DVD player (when set to output PCM), you're just limited by inputs.

12. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

dacs did kind of die in the mid to late nineties for that very reason.

But they are having a bit of a rebirth at the moment in "the community" with people often using them coupled with a universal dvd player as a transport.

13. dom_

dom_ --->

yeah i was being ironic :D

but yeah only place i could see a dac being worthwhile is a pc, or a cheap cruddy dvd/cd player.

even the best cd players now adays have dac onboard, but all mains related components outside.