1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Chipset info for nForce 4...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KayinBlack, 31 Jan 2005.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Since even DangerDen didn't know if this would work, I cracked the cooler on my new VNF4 to see if a Maze4 would fit it.

On this board, with the chip's location, drop one on and it looks like it grew there. Almost the same exact dimensions as the NF2, (I never had an NF3) and all stock mounting hardware will fit.

I'll get pics and exact measurements as the day wears on, but I wanted to let all of you that watercool know that it will fit, rather easily as well...

AND THERE'S NO HEATSPREADER!!!!

Last edited: 31 Jan 2005
  2. Blackeagle

Blackeagle What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info!

A good thing to know! :thumb:

How would you compare the heat output of the NF4 chipset compared to other MB types? I've heard it's a hot one, but nice to hear from a user who has one.

Thanks

3. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Yea, thanks .... any chance of snapping a pic or two with a GFX card installed?

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Theres been big issues with the DFI NF4's and getting a chipset cooler on, it seems to interfere with the gfx cards (not sure if its the same in single mode)

I'll try and dig up the thread on XS, a very low profile is supposdly getting modded to provide water for the nb. It seems though that the stock cooling is mroe than enough... 300++ on the stock cooling doesnt really show any need for extra cooling IMHO...

5. KayinBlack

Big diff with the Chaintech...

Under heavy stress or high OC, the passive cooler on it gets to about 60C-WAY too high for my taste.

In addition, on the Chaintech, the Maze4 fits with no problem, and as for pics, I''ll resize them today and put them out...

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've got the A8N-SLI myself, and yes, the mounting system is pretty close to NF2 (the mounting brackets for most products have some give to them, NF2 was as far out as it got on my board, NF4 is as close as possible). However I had to use an ATI mount (Twinplex block) instead of the NF4 one because of two stupidly placed caps that prevented the block from sitting down all the way, which I unfortunately found out the hard way. Just watch out since unlike NF2 (and maybe 3) it's a bare chip under there - 865/875/Athlon XP style - not that plastic covered thing, so it would be easier to chip.

7. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Ill be getting the dfi nf4 board.. That means I will need a new nb block.. I spent AGES making my nf2 block.. theres about 70 5mm holes in it, done with a hand drill!!!!

Heres atest mount from before I finnished it... anyone think it might possibly fit?
    pic

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

With luck you can just drill another set of mounting holes.

9. KayinBlack

Sorry no update, I have no program to edit photos...

Not at home, departing for Mobile/Mardi Gras in a few short hours, may or may not get them post haste.

Mobile is my former home, haven't seen it since 03. I miss it...

10. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

If you wish, you can email them to shopping [at] cheebs.co.uk and ill resize and host for you.

11. KayinBlack

Did you get the folder yesterday?

12. KayinBlack

Sorry for the wait, here they are, in all their empyrean glory...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy...

13. pre

pre Minimodder

What revision silicon did you get on the NB?

14. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Thanks kayin, Sorry, didnt get the message until this morning :(

15. Chrome_Rust

Chrome_Rust Banned

Post deleted. Whatever issues you have, this is not the place or manner to address them.

You have been PM'd by the Moderating Team. The contents of your post have been archived for reference.

Last edited by a moderator: 31 May 2005
  16. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

A few months have passed.. any info for DFI NF4 boards for commercial blocks?

My DIY attempt failed.. and I gave up.. ruined my nice nb block trying to get holes where there was no room :(

Ive done a little overclocking yesterday, it seems the nb onnly affects HTT multi.. and by lowering it you can get a nice high fsb without doing much to the chipset. Im running on 2x.. My dfi board doesnt boot properly above 3x at stock.

I think I might skip watercooling it... I need to find a nice cheap alu heatsink with plenty of surface area, room for a 40mm fan and big enough to put mounting holes on...

17. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

http://www.mips-computer.de/ do a waterblock for the DFI NF4 Northbridge. Small diameter, but quality piece of kit.

EDIT: if you don't mind ordering from Italy, Lunasio Cooling do a DFI NF4 NB block with 1/2" barbs.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2005
  18. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Gud call.............not the place to have a personal onslaught at all.

Its an old thread but bring it back on line because its an informative thread.

(sorry i got nothing to offer other than that)

Tags: