1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Bebop **Updated July 22nd**

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Dakal, 30 Jan 2005.

1. Dakal

Dakal What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I never really thought it was in style... more of an underground Anime...

Anyway, The "JET" letters are supposed to be rough. The entire panel will be powdercoated in high gloss black, and anything small will be unnoticable. I think I've taken care of most of the cut to the best of my abilities... I'll give it a once over before I ship it off to be painted.

I dont think I'll be able to update the WL untill later in the week due to some University stuff, mostly tests. Next is the Left Panel though.

As for Ed, she'll be on teh front, in one of her crazy positions. I think I'll make a stencil of her and paint her ontop pf the powdercoat with a latex based paint.

2. woodjamin

woodjamin What's a Dremel?

awsome case man, i have long been a fan of bebop along with many other animes. this has inspired me to do an anime themed case! i look forward to seeing this case completed. what are you doing for lighting?

3. Muon

Muon What's a Dremel?

all i can say is too cool, and more updates ^^

4. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

When I said 'out of style' I meant that someday you may grow up and get over it... I hate watching like, 'makeover: family edition' on TV and seeing the little kid want like, a lion king room (and they do it to the max; paint major murals on the walls; mold shapes of lions and crap on the bed...)... I mean, what happens when the kid suddenly decides that lion king isn't cool anymore?

No offense =x (I realise this is a computer and you won't have it for a long time) :p

5. Dakal

Dakal What's a Dremel?

Its all good Mace, I plan to keep most of the cases I mod. I'm also 20, so i'm pretty sure I wont change my mind on many things for at least another 10 years maybe.. :D

As for lighting, I'm not 100% sure, Ive had Green and UV light cases... so I'm thinking white light, or maybe a mix b/w yellow and white. I'm not too sure.

6. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

The cuts look great. I've only seen the movie, but I'm a big fan of anime in general. I have to agree with Worg tho, throw Ed in there somewhere!

I personally love ghost in the shell, and now I really want to do a case based on those lovable tachicomas!

Keep up the awesome work!

7. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Why not use white CCFLs or lots of white LEDs with coloured windows like in your original post. You could get coloured tint, or for the poverty-pack option use translucent contact (the sticky backed plastic your mum used to cover your books with when you went to school). Another option would be to put a thin layer of paint on the inside of the window but this would dramatically cut down on transmitted light and would prevent you from viewing all the lovleness inside the case.

Just my opinion.

ps. Good work on the Jet window. Reminds me of the opeing credits.*funky jazz bass*

8. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Im 25 and id have a Bebop case, I think youve fallen into the trap of assuming that because its animated its for childeren.

9. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

I worked in Anime / Manga magazines in spain, and here we have the same problem. People don`t understand that kind of things, like in Japan animation and comics have an adult public too (and sometimes ONLY). And the most famous series and films like bebop, Ghost In the Shell, and others are aired in night hours (with age ratings) and cinemas like other "traditional" movies.

Do you know that Lion King its a (bad) Disney remake of a original japanese film of Osamu Tezuka? Hehehe

Overall, the importan thing: Good dremeling skills. Nice mod.

10. CySlyde

CySlyde What's a Dremel?

very nice... your making me rethink my decision not to do the takumi/ae86 case i was thinking about

11. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

gerat job with the cuts. i was worried first that u might blow it, but not anymore. keep on modding :dremel:

12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf What's a Dremel?

Cowboy Bebop is truly timeless, it's a modern masterpiece that personifies style in every sense of the word. To suggest it is a personal fad of some kind is somewhat insulting but I cannot fault you for not understanding what it is and what it embodies because you have yet to experience the sounds and sights of the Real Folk Blues. Oddly enough, I planned a Bebop related project last year using the aforposted Jet and Spike images. While I'm not too fond of the placement or use of text, it's really a matter of personal taste. Even so, that's some good cutting and it'll look even better when it's all glossed up.

I know the design is already set in stone but I'll give my two cents for the sake of it. Personally I would have positioned the Jet and Spike images one over the other, going vertically down the right hand of the side panel coupled with the walking legshot of Faye from the intro. These would be backed with the corresponding colours in plexi. To the left of this I would have cut Spikes ship in the same manner you have, but going up vertically to correspond with the theme. The top panel would have been a long Faye Valentine silhouette cut-out similar to your Jet one. That was my plan but this is your project and I wish you luck with it.

Like I said before, to each his own so just have fun and do what you've gotta' do space cowboy.

13. Dakal

Dakal What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot everyone! I was net-less for 48 hrs, something prevented my ethernet card from sending/recieving info so I re-installed windows.

Lonewolf, That sounds like an interesting way of laying out the case. I've leaned towards the "one character per panel" because I think that simplicity is key, especially when it comes to a Cowboy Bebop themed case. I would like to hear your input on where/what you think I should do with Ed/Ein. So far I think I will be stenciling them onto the front after the Powder Coating process, but I'm not sure.

14. Starman97

Starman97 What's a Dremel?

ed and ein should be inside the machine somewhere subtle.
    maybe visible through a window if you look just right.

15. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

I can't remember how Ein finally was hooked up to the computer to reveal his true "data dog" potential.

Maybe you could do something to indicate this? Kind of vague suggestion but maybe someone else could elaborate.

16. Dakal

Dakal What's a Dremel?

Sorry for making it seem like this project collapsed, but I've been overwhelmed with life.. and had no time to work on it.

As mentioned, I have ZERO time for modding but I was able to squeeze a quich chasis modification inbetween classes one day.

[​IMG]

I cut out the left chasis support, and it did not affect the structural integrity of the case at all.

17. Dakal

Dakal What's a Dremel?

***UPDATED March 14***

I had some time over the weekend, so I did the rough cuts for the left panel.
    The lettering isnt done, and almost every edge needs to be deburred, but its comming along.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I have some time comming up in a few weeks, and I plan to finish the rest of the left panel and get started on the right, and hopefully finish it.

18. opus13

opus13 What's a Dremel?

well, i cant say anyhting for the subject matter (i really cant stand cowboy bebop), but i really like the direction you decided to take this and the cuts are nicely done as well.

the style of the project seems to lend itself to primary colors. have you thought of using colored acrylics for the windows and white lighting? i think it could be a nicer effect than just transparent plexi.

19. Dakal

Dakal What's a Dremel?

So far, The plan is to have red acrylic on the right panel, and blue on the top. The side is going to be clear, but that can change... I might end up switching it around, and have spike on Blue, Jet on green and the left window transparent Red... but I'm still unsure.

20. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

What about Fei??? Where is she going to go, you etching her in on the window or is she going to be a sticker/Vynyl?? (sp)