1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks P133 ok for a server?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phrozenpenguin, 12 May 2002.

1. Phrozenpenguin

Phrozenpenguin What's a Dremel?

I want to share files, server cable internet, run small webserver with php/sql for testing, all on a P133 with 32mb ram, hopefully running win 2k. IS that ok - its only for 4 pcs on a home network, so performance doesn't have to be amazing, but just useable.
    Have i got a chance?

2. Adam

Adam Minimodder

You might experience some lag when accessing cable through it, otherwise I think it would be usable. I would definitely invest in some more RAM though.

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

well, it will probably take about 20min to boot, and will lag if youre acessing a lot across the network....

even my firewall is a celery 400 with 64mb ram...

4. Armitage

Armitage What's a Dremel?

When I read "low performing PC" and "sql/php" I see one answer: LINUX!

OK, I know, if you're used to Windows and nothing else, Linux will be a pissoff at first (it was for me), but I gave it a really hard try. After a week of fiddling around with a completely unknown OS with a different approach to things I had an Apache, MySQL, DNS and DHCP server running on a P233 with 64 MB RAM.
    The router functions should be easy to squeeze in there as well (didn't try). It's somewhat slow when handling many records on the database (more memory would help here) but "just" as a testserver and geek-playground Linux is nearly perfect.

5. felix the cat

true....linux is very good but my smoothmall machine i used to run on a p133 with 96mb of ram was laggy....and that was just firewall, dhcp, gateway and proxy....

6. Phrozenpenguin

Yeah linux would be good...but i dont have the time to try it @ the mo :( I suppose il have to get a celeron chip for the spare mobo ive got here and use that :)

7. felix the cat

use one machine as your firewall/dhcp/proxy/gateway using smoothwall and one other machin using win2k doing the rest...

easy....

8. god8y

god8y What's a Dremel?

just use someting like, redhat
    insert iptables
    install webserver
    have fun without lag

9. Phrozenpenguin

Yeah - but im a linux n00b

10. Adam

Adam Minimodder

Linux is too much of a pain in the arse, except for smoothwall which is so easy my 9 year old brother could set it up.

11. felix the cat

redheat is nice n easy...

12. dwace

dwace What's a Dremel?

Minimum requirements.

Hummmm... Well, don't count on Microsoft for your server becuase your current hardware doesn't meet their minimum requirements.

Check on Microsoft for their Minimum support: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?ln=EN-US&pr=kbinfo&

My recommendation, to use one of the faster pc's that you have within the four current as the server. Otherwise, time to shell out some money to purchase a new one or build your own.

-Spawnhunter-:idea:

13. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

i got a 850 cellry with a athlon 1ghz cooler if u want it $150aus plus p&h

14. Phrozenpenguin

Many thanks for the offer, but ive just got myself a celery 566, im installin it all now :) Thanks again for the offer tho :D

15. stewe151

stewe151 Stress Personified

I'm using a celery 566 with 64 megs ram in my file server and it works great! im using win 98 though, not win2k

16. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

NT4 would work on that system, no trouble :)

Behemoth

17. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

?

guess it must be a luck of the draw cos i did have smoothwall running on a p333 but wanged it on a p200 with 64mb ram and it is running at a fine speed even when 3 pcs acces the internet throught it :) if ure going to run a webserver (on a p133) i surgest u get good with linux so u can do it all with shell :)

oh yes ^^^ nt4 would be a nice alternative :) make sure u get all security patches though :) and the latest service packs i think it stopped on 6 but i only used to wang 5 on nt4 last time i used the os :)

18. felix the cat

dont worry...i use a celery 400 now with 64mb of ram and a 4.3gb hdd...this is for 8 machines....:D :lol:

19. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

with the latest patches i think smoothwall softwares needs are alot more then the ealier release, i believe in the KISS approch "keep it simple stupid" abit of a cr*p saying but if u start to overcomplicate things that when problems start to happen :)

20. mugsy

mugsy What's a Dremel?

smoothwall

I have used a p120 with 48megs as a dhcp/gateway for over 90 pcs at LAN parties. It was able to almost max out our 5mb line... It took it up to 487k bursting and 210k sustained average down for about 24 hours. This included p2p, ftp, http and game traffic. it slowed every now and then but overall it does ok.

Tags: