1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Two pc's online with just a hub?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phoeneous, 2 Feb 2005.

1. phoeneous

phoeneous What's a Dremel?

I was always under the impression that in order for two pc's (of the same network) to get online you will need a router. Using a hub simply will not suffice. Last week I setup two pc's in a small office network. No domain, just a workgroup and a 4 port hub. The cable modem is also connected to the hub. How is it that these pc's can get online without the use of a router? I didnt even turn on ICS... :confused:

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

If your cable modem has an ethernet port it prob has 'router' cababilities inbuilt.

3. Der Me!$ter

Der Me!$ter What's a Dremel?

They can go online individually by getting linked to the modem through the hub, however, they shouldn't be able to access the internet simultaneaously.

4. jake

jake Network Gawd

your average cable modem is simply a bridge from the local ethernet onto the cable network. Most cable network providers configure their DHCP servers to only give a single IP per bridge/cable modem but if they've configured them badly or not at all (or maybe they even allow two devices) then both devices could merrily be getting an IP address which would enable them to both see the outside world.

You still have a router - it is just the other side of the cable modem in the ISP network.

HTH

J

5. djtitan

djtitan What's a Dremel?

You probably just need to hook the cable modem into the uplink port on the hub (considering you dont have a router). Often its the port with the largest or smallest number. So on an 8 port hub, ports 1 & 8.

6. TroubledMind

TroubledMind What's a Dremel?

It also has to do with the ISP. I know that my ISP back home allows you to have 3 different IPs so three computers can be on a hub and work simultaneously. Any more than three and you will need a router or an old pc with multiple network cards and routing software.

7. mushky

mushky gimme snails

NTL in the UK charge an extra £5 per month for a second IP on their cable service. They tell you that you need it if you want xbox live and a PC at the same time which, of course, is rubbish.

Tags: