1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: BLUE SHIFT, first major mod, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Jordash, 4 Feb 2005.

1. Jordash

Jordash What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, this is a re-post, but this time with a name! And more importantly a few pics :D This is my first proper mod, so there's probably quite a few mistakes. . I started out with a cheap Aluminium case made by Eagle, not sure on the model number?!? It is basically a Lian Li copy. I've had it for about 18 months now and finally decided it needed something new.

[​IMG]

This all started when I decided I needed a fan controller to quieten things down. Then I needed to replace my fans for 3 pin versions, as I was looking around I found that UV reactive fans were cheap. Of course this led me to need UV cathodes, which led on to me needing a window. Voila the birth of my first modding idea.

I recently found bit-tech.net and loved the cases I saw on here, I really enjoyed reading the write-ups, so that gave me the inspiration to buy the parts I needed.
    So I bought:

1 X Super Flower fan controller
    3 X Blue UV reactive 80mm case fans
    3 X 12" UV Cathodes
    1 X UV Rounded IDE Cable
    1 X UV Rounded Floppy Cable
    2 X RAM heatsinks
    1 X Case side w/window (This was actually a lot cheaper than buying a window kit)
    1 X B&Q rotary tool
    2 X Hacksaw blades

[​IMG]

So first things first I need a design for the window, so out came the drawing board and:

[​IMG]

I wanted a design that was a bit different, I was also helped by the limited number of tools I had (I really don't like using the rotary tool, it takes ages, and I don't have a mask :sigh:). I really wanted to keep the brushed Aluminium finish so I had to be very careful, throughout. So firstly I masked off the side and drew on the design:

[​IMG]

First I used a hole saw to cut the corner radii:

[​IMG]

Then using a jigsaw I joined the holes. I made a bit of a mistake at this point. I didn't plan out my cutting before I started so I just did the nice big straight edges first. It was only when I came to lift the piece that I realised that there was not enough support on the fan holder in the center. So I had to be VERY careful not to bend the center. I just took my time and managed to get away with it. But I will definitely plan things out next time. To make the hole in the center I just used a small drill bit to drill lots of little holes around in a circle. I used my rotary tool to cut this out. I then used some small files (standard and half rounded) to get all the edges straight and to remove any burrs. Finally I went round it with some wet and dry.

[​IMG]

Next up was the window fitting, the center hole was already cut, the only thing I had to do was to cut a hole for the UV cathode switch. I used my rotary tool for this, I had to be very careful as it just melted the plastic.

[​IMG]

Here is the case side, unmasked.

[​IMG]

To attach the window I used the four bolts around the fan and then decided to use double sided tape around the edges, as it would look neater.

[​IMG]

Now the side was finished it was time to take on the rest of the case. I stripped out everything, at one point I even had to drill out a screw so that I could remove the irritating center bar (the reason the fan is on the outside in the 1st pic). Once all that was sorted I removed the top so that I could a) neaten up an old hack job; b) cut a new hole for an exhaust fan. I had to be very careful choosing the location of the hole as there is only about 90 between my PSU and DVD drive.

I used the same technique as with the center hole, but this time I took pics:

[​IMG]

Then I cut the metal out, before filing it back:

[​IMG]

Finally bolted in fan with fan guard:

[​IMG]

Finally the external case modifications were finished. I started the fabrication on Tuesday night and finished it last night (Thursday). Now I had to install all the components as well as the new fan controller and UV Cathodes. This tool a little while as I had to try and keep the case tidy and as many cables hidden as possible. I need to sort some pics of this. The fan controller controls the 3 UV reactive case fans and monitors the temp of the CPU, HDD, PSU and Case. Two of the UV cathodes are turned on and off with the flick switch on the new side (up and right of the fan). I previously had stealthed my DVD, CD-RW and Floppy drives, by cutting out case blanks and white tacking them to the doors, this has worked really well for about 18 months, so why fix something that aint broke? The only thing I have done to these since the photos were taken was to black out the drives, so you can't see them at all.

Thats enough talking for now, here is the finished case:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These ones had no flash, hence the blur:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think,

Cheers guys :D
    This case is about 95% done, I need some more UV eye candy inside, but thats about it.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2005
  2. huren

huren What's a Dremel?

your side panel is simple, not over done, i like it :)

3. Jordash

Jordash What's a Dremel?

Cheers :D
    I was well chuffed with the way it came out, especially since I had such crappy tools. I still need to come up with a label/badge to cover up a hole I'd cut previously, I also need some UV nail polish for the CPU fan and Power cables.

The problem is, now I'm hooked, but I really don't need another case, so what can I do? :confused:

Oh well, please keep commenting. Are there any improvements I could make?

Cheers

4. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

good job there m8. like the window style, nice and simple. to many overdone windows out there. if u need something to do how about modding the front bezel?

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

looking great, ill keep an eye on this one

6. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Great job with the panel, I like the design a lot. :thumb:

The switch placement is very original and not a bad idea at all. You should get one of those vandal-resistant switches so it matches the case. :D

7. Jordash

Jordash What's a Dremel?

Cheers for the feedback :)
    I like the ideas coming back to me, so I'm gonna polish up the fan controller bezel to match the others. Also I need to neaten up the other drive bays. I have now got some UV nail polish, so I'm gonna see how that looks on my CPU fan and PSU cables.

I like the idea of the vandal switch, but I'm not sure where to get them?

Thanks again :D

8. broodrooster

broodrooster What's a Dremel?

looks pretty cool. nice work :D

9. Jordash

Jordash What's a Dremel?

OK, last night I tried to sort the fan controller bezel to try and match the rest of the case. I've neatened up those messy drive covers and I've also blacked out the Drives behind the covers. Unfortunately I haven't had time to sort piccy's yet, but I will do in the next few days.
    I also had a go with some UV nail varnish I bought. The good news is that it shows up really well, the bad news is I made a real pigs ear of it last night because I was being lazy. So I'm going to have to take my time next time!!

:idea: I'm temped to get some aluminium mesh and replace the bottom fan vent at the front of the case, but I'd like to know your opinion before I start hacking at the case (I don't want to ruin what I've got so far).

10. Jordash

Jordash What's a Dremel?

OK here's the latest update, I've tried to match up the fan controller bezel and clean up the drive bay covers, They're still not perfect, but it's the best they're gonna get for now. The fan controller looks better matched in real life, but they are slightly off still.

[​IMG]

The internals have had a little coat of UV nail polish here and there, unfortunately I can't get a pic that shows this, it's either too dark without the flash, or the flash obliterates the UV light. Here's what I've got though:

[​IMG]

On order I have a UV lazer (to try and show up the UV on the CPU fan) and some matching Biohazard Fan guards.

So what do you think of it now? what could I do to make it better?

Cheers

11. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

I would just try to clean it up a little more. The first thing I would do, would be to do something with the top fan hole. but thats just me. :) GJ btw.

12. Jordash

Jordash What's a Dremel?

You're right, after looking at it for a few days, I think I really need to clean that hole up more, I should be picking up the fan guards and UV lazer tonight, although I doubt I'll get them in before monday cos I'm off to do a Canoe Slalom up in teeside. :rock:

I'll post some pics when I've got it sorted :D