1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI card help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Burke, 8 Feb 2005.

1. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

K here goes...I talked my brother into upgrading his HP...he does photography and needs to make it faster and stuff. So he also wanted a 2.0 USB card. We got this one off newegg for 20 or so. http://www.ppa-usa.com/product_pages/usb/1578.htm I installed it fine but it wont run at 2.0...in the device Manager list the Univeral Serial Bus (USB) Controller has an error...when I try to install the drivers with it I get this error at the end of the installation:

The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary file. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor.

The device is suppsoed to be compatable with almost all OS's Win98/se, Win ME, Win 2000, Win XP. But the damn CD wouldnt even start to read in his computer...I opened it up on mine and transfered the files to his via a USB drive....If I can find an installation file or driver for the Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller i can fix it...but I cant seem to hunt one down. Now his computer hasnt been updated in a long time (probably why theres probs).

So who can help? Please...he's mad at me and I need to get this fixed for him...

2. pat1

pat1 What's a Dremel?

try and reload the motherboard drivers... you should be able to find those pretty easily

3. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

Its an HP...haveno clue what Mobo is in it..

4. pat1

pat1 What's a Dremel?

check hp's support site...they should have the drivers you need if you know the model number

5. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

:eeek: Didnt even think of that..ill giver a shot. \

Edit: No go.....any other ideas?

Last edited: 8 Feb 2005
  6. pat1

pat1 What's a Dremel?

sweet...let me know how it goes

7. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Is SP2 installed? There are USB2.0 drivers built into it...

8. Burke

Burke What's a Dremel?

No its SP1..and I dotn think thats even up to date...Think thatll do it? I dunno if I can take him into goin up to SP2 though...

9. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

SP1 should be sufficient - have you tried the card in another PC to see if its card specific or PC specific.

10. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Yes I am sure sp2 adds the support for usb 2.0....

I could be wrong might be sp1

11. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

iirc, SP1 doesn't have integrated USB2.0 drivers, but SP1a and SP2 do.

Have you check the BIOS? More often than not, there are USB settings. Make sure these are set to high-speed (400mbps), not full-speed (something like 11mbps)....HUGE difference.

12. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

I had a similar problem a while ago. I had to get new drivers for the Intel 845 chipset. To figure out what chipset you have go to "Device Manager"/"System Devices" and look for entries like "...Processor to I/O controller". Then google for whatever looks like chip set numbers on those lines to get more info.