1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good pc magazines

Discussion in 'General' started by Gabe, 6 Feb 2005.

1. Gabe

Gabe What's a Dremel?

i like pc world, and computer shopper. any other helpful magazines worth subscribing to?

2. Gabe

Gabe What's a Dremel?

sorry ment to put this in general :/

3. Mortus

Mortus What's a Dremel?

I like computer Active my self ....... some good articals in there and i love reading the help sections LOL

although i do buy PC Pro now and again :)

4. spacehopper

spacehopper What's a Dremel?

custom pc is always worth a browse :D

5. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

I used to buy pc format every month but stopped because most of the info can be found on the wbe anyway :D

I buy edge magazine though. brilliant read :D

6. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

I get PC Format (haven't got the subscription freebie though...).

- H.

7. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

years ago, I used to get scripting magazines, along with PC Computing. But you can get all the info you need online, so I have gone that route. Saves a little $$$ for modding at the same time.

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

have every issue of CustomPC here, in lovely condition :D Computer Buyer's okay, but very patronising for me...PC Pro on the other hand is quite advanced and business based, but has some good articles

<A88>

9. rowan57

rowan57 What's a Dremel?

GigaHZ rocks if you can get it, very high end hardware and software, = great mag.

10. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

GigaHZ, and CustomPC here for me, when i can justify spending that much on them :eyebrow:

11. ciaran.mooney

ciaran.mooney Minimodder

I read the Micromart - Personally cant stand the glossy mags, too expensive and only come out once a month.

Used to read PC Format - but got fed up of the writers just taking the piss out of every computer lay-person out there. Just seemed childish to me - i'm thinking that at 14 jese. Also there wasnt actually that much content.

The micromart has all the 2nd hand classifieds in it, plus the prices from mail order companies, so i can keep up-to-date on what certain components are going for.

(Also their sister Mag, Music Mart is pretty good too, for your Music technology needs)

12. painesy

painesy What's a Dremel?

custompc is great.

shame I missed the first few issues.

13. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Custom PC and Micro Mart if it has something interesting on the cover.

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Custom PC, its OK for a magazine

15. rowan57

rowan57 What's a Dremel?

I like the once a month mags because they have loadsa content, like GigaHZ has almost 200 pages every issue, thats more that you'd get in a book for the same price!!

(Also, GigaHZ does have some interesting modding articles every so often)

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

I buy PCGamer and PCZone now, I don't actually bother with Computer Hardware mags anymore as, IMHO, the web has better content than the mags, and it's far more up-to-date and within my technical reach. Better being more technical and more definitive - don't forget that reading a tech site is free too. ;)

Last edited: 8 Feb 2005
  17. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Well, he's in California and we don't get most of those mags in the US.

PC Magazine and Maximum PC are pretty good. WIRED is also pretty interesting, but it's more current events and technology/science than just computers. Then there are a whole lot of gaming machines if you're interested.

18. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i walk in to 'wh smiths' think *hmmmmm* im going to have a look at the magasines... walk over pick a one up... Open one... n00b!... open the next one up a little n00b... next one.. ok but i already know everything in there.... *hmmm* not too bad :p ...But its about 5 pages long :duh: ... next one *huh* what the f**k are they talking about they dont know anything about computers :blah: :worried: ....

i cant find any decent ones...
    anyone know any looooong! good mags where the writers know what they are talking about... and dont cost much than about £5

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

CPU Magazine is good from what I've heard - IIRC Kyle Bennett and Anand Lai Shimpi amongst other top web editor's write columns for them.

20. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

Shift was/is ok, i don't think they have a print edition going anymore, but i think you can get it online. For games, CGW is pretty good. I also haven't had any complaints about PC magazine, which reviews some decent mainstream stuff for pc's and other things (cellphones, mp3 players etc...) although it is a little n00by. You should be able to get all of these in the US.