1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :: Moondust :: Update 16/09/05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Leeum, 1 Feb 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMM

TMM Modder

clean work! :thumb: i'm going to keep an eye on this one ;)

2. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

hehe that's dangerous to say, mate :D I said that twise and I'm still not finished ;)

3. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I'll try my best, unless i think of something else to do ;)

4. Shinymod

Shinymod What's a Dremel?

looking good :thumb: can't wait to see the PSU go in! has been a long time getting that together.... :hip:

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

It sure has, let's hope the relay will be ok :D Just reminded me to get onto those sketches today, will dig them out.

6. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

wow dude that is a lovely rad you got there:)

Like to see what you make off this

- S

7. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Thanks alot mate, apparantly they out perform HW Labs and Thermochill radiators without fans :eek: Coolmiester is carrying out some tests to check this out so we'll see shortly. As for those pictures, they're really badly drawn and were done about 4 months ago so i've changed ideas quite alot down the line.

[​IMG]

As you can see i drew the front bezel hex meshed in the centre following the ideas of Pug and his Hexadragon project, i'm debating going forward with this atm. It's going to be alot of hassle but i'll see nearer the time ;) The internal arrangment will be pretty much the same. The top and side panel will be cut following a tribal tatoo theme, after seeing Jordanis3r's Tribal 1 and 2 projects I was confident i'd cracked the theme of the case i'd like. I'll be turning to his art skills for some scale designs to cut the panels :D
    Got some birthday money today so i'm ordering the last of my kit, just some nickel plated barbs, cathodes etc and will be cracking on with cutting the panels and finishing up the water cooling in the next few weeks.
    Stay tuned, thanks for all the feedback :D

8. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

Agreed,i´m not finished either.

Nice work so far , i will keep watching this.

9. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

I shall watch as long as you promise to post pictures.

10. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

There's already some there isn't there :eyebrow: , promise :D Just de-riveted the top panel tonight, cutting will start shortly ;)

11. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

we want updates :waah:

12. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Remember the Hydor L30 pump? It was black and not in a good way, let’s see if we can fix that ;)

[​IMG]

Here’s the pump all masked up and ready to paint. The stuff I’m going to be using is PlastiKote vinyl dye.

[​IMG]

After 4 coats I left it outside to dry for a good few hours. I took it into the house to check there were no spots I’d missed or where the paint had ran.

[​IMG]

Here are the nickel plated hose tail barbs I ordered from Airlines, unfortunately I was unable to them to ½” hose, I had to settle for 12mm fittings which are near enough. I applied two passes of PTFE tape onto the threads.

[​IMG]

Here are the barbs fitted into the pump, I think they go really well with the newly painted silver.

[​IMG]

I also hacked off the mains plug; this won’t be needed as the pump will draw its power from a relay inside the PSU.

[​IMG]

Here’s the finished pump, had to shoot the photos in a different room this time as the kitchen is getting decorated.

[​IMG]

A shot from the front with the
    [​IMG]

A side shot with the front removed.

[​IMG]

From the front.

[​IMG]

Here’s the male molex for the pump’s power.

[​IMG]

While I was at it I wired and sleeved two white LED’s for the CPU block and the Aquatube and also sleeved the PCI plate for the motherboard’s extra USB connectors.

[​IMG]

The sleeved radiator fans.

[​IMG]

The nickel plated barbs for the radiator.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2005
  13. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

maby spray that white piece of your fans
    silver and white dont look nice on the fans i think

14. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Funny you should say that, i dismantled the fans for spraying and killed the motor on one of them, i pulled the copper coil thing clean off :eek: I had to use the motor from my spare one to have 2 working ones again, i got so mad i put them back together. I may be persuaded to order some grills for the back when i next order some moddin' goodies ;)

15. mafia11671

mafia11671 What's a Dremel?

Great job on the pump, looks great
    mafia

16. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

If your using a hydor pump I would strongly recomend using a small beed of silicone on the O-ring of the intake as these pumps can sometimes leak.

Being that I am a fellow hydor L30 owner. I must say you made a very good choice. these pumps run rather cool, are reliable and most importantly are very quiet pumps. congrats and very good work on your project.

17. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Thanks, i'll leak test it and if i get any problems i'll do as you mentioned :D It is a good choice of pump, it sucks how alot of people jump for Eheim pumps over these. Similar flow rates to the Eheim 1250 and about £20 cheaper, what more do you want? :D

18. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Hey Leeum

ive got a Hydor l30 sitting in my room, awaiting me to use it in my next project, im thinking i might do the same thing as you have, spray it silver, as that looks schweet in silver...

wonder if i can get vinyl dye anywhere, as i have never seen it round here....

if not ill just have to sand + prime it like mad, then get the final silver coat on then laquer it....

i aswell cannot understand why people are willing to pay so much for the eheims when the hydors are in my opinion just as good. ive had my l20 a year or so now and no problems at all with it.

take care... and great looking mod from the plans

19. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Hi Leeum,

Well that's looking great. Really nice work m8.

Its all looking so clean and nice, I love what you have done to the pump :thumb:

Keep up the great work :hip:

20. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the comments guys :D One thing i'd recommend is clearcoating once you've painted and then polishing it, i've got no clearcoat so i'll leave mine for the minute ;)
    As for finding a place to buy it, i got my cans from decorflair dirt cheap :D This is what you want.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Feb 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.