1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Athlon 64, Drivers??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SECRETCOMMANDO, 10 Feb 2005.

1. SECRETCOMMANDO

SECRETCOMMANDO What's a Dremel?

Hi all, got a Athlon 64 system recently and was wondering what was with the drivers that come on cd. Are they a imortant to install or are they just for the "Cool 'n' Quiet" stuff?

Do they effect performance at all?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

2. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I assume you're talking about your motherboard, CPU's don't need a driver. The CD that comes with the motherboard will have old drivers on, google the manufacturer of the board, find their website and download the latest drivers from there :)

3. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

AFAIK It's just for Cool'n'Quiet and to report the correct proc currently installed, Ive noticed no diffrence with the driver installed

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Your system will run much better if you install the mobo/chipset drivers, rather than relying on the inbuilt Windows drivers which were created before your processor and mobo was even designed.

5. SECRETCOMMANDO

Thanks for the replys.

I'm sure they are drivers specific to the CPU [3200 Winnie].
    I obviously have my mobo drivers installed but these are seperate and as Fuzzyone says are probably just for the Cool 'n' Quiet stuff which is disabled in the bios anyway [by choice].

Thanks for the help, don't think i'll bother then. Things seem to be fine anyway so its probably not worth the hassle.

6. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

K

First off there are specific Ath64 Drivers available (Check the AMD website) they not only smooth over the cracks of windows XP hadling 64 bit processors (Not a problem since SP2 but pres SP2 there can be reliability issues) but the also assist any dynamic overclocking tools you have running in controlling the processor properly (such as core cell and the like), the drivers even asist BIOS base dynaimic OC.

Install them. Cool and Quiet is still optional.

7. SECRETCOMMANDO

Thanks Kensei, you changed my mind :D

I'll give 'em a shot after all, I imagine they can be uninstalled if there are problems with them anyway so no harm in trying.

Thanks all.