1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matrox Parhelia-512 - neeeeeeeeeeed

Discussion in 'General' started by eddie_dane, 14 May 2002.

1. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I know this could go in gaming or video cards but thought it was a good overall consumption item..

hardwarezone has an article about the new Matrox video system... amazing.. (just when you think those guys are dead... that's what innovation is all about)

how bout this for a teaser...

[​IMG]

microsoft flight simulator

2. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

With all the hype and "paper" specs everyone will make out it will run Q3 at about 900fps but it will still only run Quake 3 and the such about 5fps quicker than the Geforce4 4600 does :D dont beleve me?? just wait ;)

3. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

I don't care if this thing is no faster than a Gf4...... Neeeed just for all the features it has.

I was going to get a Gainward 750 GF4, but will now wait to see how this Matrox pans out. I absolutely loved my G400Max and the way it worked for dual display. 2D image quality was, and still is reference standard. It was one of the first GC to perform bump mapping and it was real eye candy in it's day.

A 256MB DDR Parhelia with 3 Monitors, Direct X 9 support, quad texturing :eeek: ??? Bring it On!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 May 2002
  4. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

It depend if you want to spend what there asking ;) matrox have already said its not a card for the masses due to the price.

5. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Yeah, yeah.... Bring it on!

6. GJUK

GJUK What's a Dremel?

wot we looking at $400 for the 128 meg version.

so about $500 for the 256???

that'll be about £400 for th256 meg if not more in the UK :grr:

thats ALOT. :(

but damn looks good on 3 moniters, i might have to save up for a beastey :)

tho ill only be able to afford to run it on 3 14" moniters :p

7. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I'm gonna be buying one :D

8. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

Right on! Lets hope it all pans out :D

If it is all marketing then it worked, for it stopped me from buying the GF4 I've been a wanting :worried:

9. Jaz

Jaz Banned

the triple monitor display they had was around $7k though could have been $4k

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

now who is gonna get me a set of them? :D

11. monolith

monolith True Friend

i love matrox..

I've owned just about every card they've put out since the MGA Millinium, and absolutely adored them. 2d has always been top notch, 3d has just been a little lackluster in performance. Looks like they will be rectifying it. One thing I can say about Matrox, when they make a card, they make a stable card. I've _never_ had an issue with any Matrox video card, in windows - no driver issues, and in servers which haven't been shut off in years except the occassional reboot, no hardware problems. I also like the way Matrox gives out all the technical information needed to write a driver on request, and doesn't make it a huge hassel for alternative OS support. I'll sum all this junk up - I LOVE MATROX!

12. Woody

Woody What's a Dremel?

I still use a G400 for my second desktop and the 2D quailty is still as good as anything else. Bring it on :D :D

13. ViperZ

ViperZ What's a Dremel?

I agree, Matrox seems to have professional feel and quality that is just not apperant in the other makers.

At work I was looking at industrial frame grabbing cards for video recognition systems. The Matrox industrial card solutions really show that they know how to make serious video cards. They may have been absent in the mainstream consumer market, but they have always had excellent industrial solutions.

Don't forget that the G400Max Millenuim was the fastest 3D accelerator at the time. Nivida's solution was the TNT, which had inferiour 2D/3D graphic quality. The G400M had some open GL driver issues, but they did get that rectified. Then came the Geforce, which left Matrox behind in speed. Still the 2D & 3D image quality could not match the Matrox Millenuim's in cripness and color.

I fondly remember playing the Matrox edition of Expendable with my G400Max. It had bump mapped textures that really was eye candy.

looking forward to Parhelia!

14. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

ive read 3 reviews on that card and it seems amazing. someone donate 3 23inch viewsonic lcd's and that card and I'll let you all know how cool it is :)