1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

hcker2000,

How are you doing man.

Hopefully I can answer your questions. My PSOne is currently sitting unconnected right now, but hopefully I can answer your question if I recall correctly.

As for the VGA mod, when the PC boots, you will not see any of the post. It will be all scrambled, even the windows loading screen.

The only time the Video will look good is once PowerStrip kicks in teh custom settings. Then you will get good video singal.

As for the sync, yes.. you need a video card that supports c-sync, which the nVidia card doesn't (i'm running 6800, and that why my PSOne isn't being used right now). The new ATI does and so does that Matrox.

I believe you can get a clean Post screen if you use the sVideo connection as the only source for video signal. But don't quote me.

Hopefully that helps answers your questions.

I have a new mod comign up, as you are aware of, so I need to dump my 6800 and get an x800.

Ok.. lates.

SAD

2. hcker2000

hcker2000 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info that sucks that I woulden't be able to see bios or loading screen (mostly for the f8 menu). Thats just an incase I would ever need to fix it with out hooking up a real monitor. If any one knows about the svid showing boot screen and what not please let me know. Curently there are no affordable 5-8 inch vga lcds. For as much as I can buy a 7 inch vga lcd I can also buy a 15 inch vga lcd :(

3. pumpkinlad

pumpkinlad What's a Dremel?

I can confirm the PSOne LCD does show the boot screen as well as the Windows loading via S-Video connection here.

4. devenfore

devenfore LANCandy

It is possible to build a c-sync convertor... Total cost... about $4.00. Gl everyone.

5. Migishu

Migishu What's a Dremel?

Thanks for sharing a link :p

6. manamana

manamana What's a Dremel?

I've been futzing with my psone screen for a bit now.

I wired it using 14" runs of thin wire to a male vga connector, and I included the DCC pin. I did the swap trick and got it recognized as a second monitor (fireGL t2 on my t41p), however I can't get anything to show up on the screen, other than the occasional vertical colored lines (and these are very faint) I whipped out the multimeter and confirmed everything, it's getting power, etc., however I can't seem to get a signal from the connector that the backlighting box plugs into (the thing that the white/pink wires plug into)...however maybe it's possible that the pins aren't reaching the multimeter leads. I've never gotten the backlight to light up. I have all the options available in powerstip (c-sync and all), but everything I try either results in a black screen or faint colored lines. I can mover my mouse and windows onto the screen, but nothing shows up.

Any help?

thanks in advance.

7. zohnny

zohnny What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I was able to make LCD display using VGA cable, but still have major problem.
    I used NTSC version and my graphic card is MSI 9600 Pro which support C-sync.
    I soldered wires as described in the article.

1 (red)(VGA) ->11(LCD)
    2 (green) (VGA)->12(LCD)
    3 (blue) (VGA)->9(LCD)
    6, 7, 8 (RGB Ground) (VGA)->8(LCD)
    9 (DCC/optional) (VGA)->10(LCD)
    13 (Hsync/Csync) -(VGA)>5(LCD)

Here is what I did to work. BTW, I only have one main monitor.
    1. I plugged my main monitor to DVI plug(using DVI adaptor).
    2. Boot up window.
    3. Run the Powerstrip program adjust display config. to “some what close to LCD screen set up” 640x480i (Arcade) mode.
    4. Before I click OK, unplug the main monitor and plug PS LCD.
    5. Plug main monitor to VGA plug. Main monitor doesn’t display now..
    6. Once I click okay, somewhat distorted image show up.
    7. Try to adjust a bit(by guessing work since it’s hard to see).
    8. From window display advance property, enable main monitor(clone mode only works). Now main monitor is clone of LCD as 640x480 mode but not distorted at all.
    9. Using main monitor to adjust LCD using the powerstrip.
    After messing with the Powerstrip for hours finally got perfect picture! :rock:

Okay, here are the major problems now.
    I can’t use dual screen. When I try to enable using display property, screen just goes to blank.
    Even though LCD is displaying my ATI advance display properties doesn’t show it as a monitor. From this properties if I try to adjust as muti screen everything goes blank and nothing shows up.
    Restart window, and everything goes back to beginning(no LCD screen) I have to redo all step again. :wallbash:

Basically my problem is PS LCD doesn’t recognize as a monitor.
    I have to do this swap trick to work but then my main monitor is in clone mode of LCD.
    I know my wirings are correct since everything displayed perfectly, but am I missing some pins? I know there are more pins in VGA that are assigned to something else, so do I need more than 8 wires that I used? Sorry for long post. Thank you.

8. manamana

manamana What's a Dremel?

sounds like I'm having similar issues to what you describe (no dual mode available)

has anyone gotten their psone lcd to run as a second (not cloned) monitor off a single, dual head graphics card using the vga mod (not the svideo>composite or whatever)

hmm, I have more futzing to do.

also, I measured the voltage on the wall adapter. it says 7.5 v, but it's actually outputting nearly 10. 25% seems like quite a bit to be off...

9. Dungeonhawk

Dungeonhawk What's a Dremel?

yes

I can get it to work just fine as a second monitor... a dragable window goes there perfectly...

My main board is a asus p4p800 deluxe
    Video card nvidia geforce 6800 OC
    and a MatroxMystique for the sony psone display.

2 questions i asked earlier hopefully someone will help.

1. I have wierd horizontal lines still in my display... I have messed with powerstrip for hours and cant get those lines out.. they are like this

----- -----------
    ---------- -------
    ------ ----- ----- ---
    --------- ------ ---

not any rhyme or reason for it...
    screen is still readable but far from clear.

2.. I have the wires soldered now, but its a HUGE pain getting the solder not to touch another lead etc... I have heard about these things that kinda twist onto the end of a wire and when you put them down on the lead you twist and they tighten down onto the lead.. very clean like..
    Anyone heard of or seen this things?

I have no idea how to keep the solders clean and build a housing with the way i have it now.. its just a mess.

Thanks

10. zohnny

zohnny What's a Dremel?

Isn't 6800 support dual monitor? Is reason you are using second video card is C-sync support problem?
    Could you tell me how you wired(pinout)? I'm thinking I might missed a wire that send signal to recognize presents of a monitor.
    Thank you.

11. effbee

effbee What's a Dremel?

I have the same problem with my radeon 9800 pro, it won't see the LCD as a 2nd monitor. I had a Matrox Mystique 32mb runnin the LCD fine but it was killing my system to display the winamp visualization on it. So I bought a radeon 7000 32mb to see if it did better but I can't get a stable picture with it :( If anyone has gotten a good picture with a 7000 please let me know your Powerstrip settings.

12. zohnny

zohnny What's a Dremel?

How many hours did you spend playing with powerstrip? :D
    Seriously, more you waste time on it, better picture you'll get. Try adjusting all settings and options, etc. I spend half day just playing with the powerstrip but finally I got perfect picture on it. It just doesn't recognize as a 2nd monitor...
    I saw some people got successful result using old VGA cable. I'm going to test all pins again and try use the VGA cable.

13. effbee

effbee What's a Dremel?

Gave up on the radeon 7000 for now. Had to stick the matrox mystique back in so I could finish my install :p Sorry for the crappy cell cam pic.

[​IMG]

14. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

posted the same question in modding but got no replies, has anyone done this mod with a joytech screen?

15. [->>Curly<<-]

[->>Curly<<-] What's a Dremel?

it looks minted but its 2 hard for me to do :( plus my compouter isent even worth the effort

16. Dungeonhawk

Dungeonhawk What's a Dremel?

pinout was the exact same as is posted in the guide... no changes..
    and yes i used the mystique card because of the c-sync issues.. i could not get it to stabilize until i used that card.. picked it up for 8 bucks on ebay

17. Oshannon

Oshannon What's a Dremel?

Using GeForce 6600GT

I would like to get an XFX GeForce 6600GT (it has 2 DVI ports) to replace my tired 9600se, and I was wondering if the PSONE screen would work using the hsync+vsync --> csync circuit mentioned earlier. Has anyone done this with that card (6600GT)? Thanks! :hip:

P.S.- I did :search:

18. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

i know the pin out looks in the same place but has the top row not moved 1 pin to the right?

19. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

Card choice

Hey ppl.

I should be getting my psone screen sometime soon but i`m wondering about a graphics card for it.

AT the moment i`m running an ati radeon x800.

I was thinking of buying a pci card for the purpose of running this screen and have seen matrox mystiques mentioned before. is this a good card to go for or would a matrox millenium do the job. or in fact any other pci card?

20. effbee

effbee What's a Dremel?

I think you have to use a Mystique cause it has c-sync, the Millenium doesn't. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro that I could never get to "see" the LCD as a monitor and would not run dual displays. So I got a 32mb Mystique and it works fine. I also got a Radeon 7000 hoping that it could handle more demanding programs (Winamp visualizations) but I never could get the right settings in Powerstrip to get a stable picture.

PsOne LCD w/Mystique
    LCD with lights on

Don't know whats with the blue tint from the cam with the lights on :/

Tags: Add Tags