1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The funny things people do

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 13 Feb 2005.

1. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Off the top of my head, of the things mentioned I only do the battery one (where the batteries must face outwards), and the fresh-water-in-kettle thing.

On a web page with lots and lots of text, I highlight the bits that I'm reading read with the mouse. Makes it easier to read somehow....RTT laughs at me for this :blah:

When puttings CDs back in their cases, they must go the right way up where possible (so the text saying what the CD is level and centred).

When listening to music, I have to tap along to the beat...to do otherwise feels weird.

When locking my car or front door, I always yank the handle and push the door to see if it really is locked.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2005
  2. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I *always* have to do this, all my CDs, audio/software/etc. and DVDs have to be spun so they are aligned properly when in their cases/wallets/etc.

^^ Guilty of that too, don't you love it when you eject a CD and it comes out with the writing still lined up? :D

Same here, pisses my g/f off loads though :lol:

I also have to have any books/magazines/cds/etc. in alphabetical order, or in the case of monthly subscriptions/comics/etc. they have to be stacked chronologically.

^^ Ditto, it just doesn't look right to have it come off the back, and it doesn't feel right.

3. fuzzball172

fuzzball172 What's a Dremel?

With all u guys posting the regular positions of ur valuables, theres gonna be some well informed pickpockets working the venue for the bit-tech meet....

4. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

i've thought of a few more :)

• toilet roll should come off the front, which is annoying as my flatmate has to have it come off the back. we too have a long running silent battle about this! :)
    • whenever i cook, i have to check that the oven is turned off 3 times before i'm happy the flat isn't going to burn down in my sleep.
    • when i leave the flat, i have to check that the door is properly locked, even after a big satisfying *SLAM* i still have to push the door a little, just to check that it doesn't move :worried:
    • i always put footwear on in left sock, right sock, left shoe, right shoe order. the order i remove them doesn't really matter, though i think that out of habit it's left-right left-right again...
    • i must have a fresh cold drink near my bed before i go to sleep. most of the time i don't wake up at night, and don't actually drink it, but it just has to be there :rolleyes:

i have a horrible feeling that i'll be able to add more to this thread every day for the next year or so :duh: never realised i was so obsessive about silly things :worried:

Last edited: 14 Feb 2005
  5. planki

planki ...

- volume must be even numbers
    - alarm is multiples of 5 always
    - phone right pocket wallet and keys left unless i have ipod in which case ipod and keys left pocket wallet and phone right, i never carry anything in back pockets
    - cd's on my cd rack must be balanced and i cant stand gaps :|

6. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

after reading more of this thread; turns out even more came to mind lol.

All bills/reciepts/etc must sit on my desk for at least a week before being filed. After they are filed they aint comin back.

On aim, like msn ALL buddy lists/groups MUST be extended to full length, and both online and offline buddies must show up.

If it says they just went away, i'm going to read their away message.

Toilet paper over the front, and again, another silent, long running battle.Super glue in the toilet paper fixes this nicely tbh.

With meals, at least half of the drink must be consumed before eating.

when walking at night, blind spots must be checked very, very regularly. When nervous, so must my fly.

That's it for today's batch. This thread is going out of control lol. someone should put up a list of all the pet peeves so far.

7. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

I've thought of some more. Here's my list:

• I must pee in the second from the end urinal.
    • I must put glasses in the middle of a coaster, and drink out of exactly the same point on the rim every time.
    • I must put batteries facing outwards.
    • CDs must be lined up with case at all times
    • I must have everything perfectly lined up (even in shops).
    • When getting a drink of water, I always run the tap for a second beforehand.
    • When I coil up cables, they must not be twisted.
    • If I say something wrong I used to have to say it again to "cancel" it, and then say the right thing. (Don't do that much any more)
    • Everything must be placed at right angles to everything else.
    • Ribbon cables must be folded at right angles, and must lie perfectly flat, i.e. not twisted.
    • Wire management is a must. Everything must follow a single main route.
    • When wiring up a circuit, all the resistors etc. must be orientated in the same direction.
    • All books must be ordered by size. No exceptions.
    • I can’t sleep without my computer on, monitor off and mouse in charger. I’ll get out of bed to change this if need be.
    • Toilet paper must come off the front. Tears must be along the dotted lines, no small corners left.
    • The angle poise on my desk must be level.
    • At school, my iPod must be in my left trouser pocket. Pencil, ruler and rubber in right. It doesn’t feel right writing with a pen.
    • Bus pass in inside left jacket pocket, phone in inside right, keys in right pocket. My left pocket must be empty.
    • Watch always on left hand.
    • Left sock, right sock, left shoe, right shoe. Left then right for taking them off also.

Not too many then.

_C

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's cause it doesnt rip right coming off the back. Why the hell does anyone have it come off the back??

LOL! I was thinking that. Anyone wanna add their pin number whilst their at it? :p

Ive thought of some more i did:

I arranged my DVDs in colour order, it's far far more aestheitically pleasing than you'd imagine. Moreso than any chronological/alphabetical order imo becuase i assosiate more things with colours/shapes than i do names/words. If i have to look for something i look for the shape and colour, it's the same with revision, counting and memory.

Finding a box to post stuff in, in exactly the right size for your stuff is the most small but satisfying experience. It's like 3D tetris but with a little luck thrown in.
    It's the same with wire management in my case. Every 6 months i pull everything out of it, clean out the dust and re-wire everything and it feels so satisfying to do, even if it takes hours.

Q: Doesnt everyone have an array of boxes and packing material lying around for posting stuff? Ive always got a dozen boxes, jiffy bags and foam stuff spare.

Humans are obviously creatures of habit and order. It keeps our mind at ease in a hectic world. It would be interesting to see if people with busier lives (in developed worlds) had more neurosis than people in under-developed worlds.

9. rob_65

rob_65 What's a Dremel?

I do this all the time! ANY packet of crisps :)

I keep my phone in my right pocket, wallet in my left pocket, change/chewing gum in rear right pocket. The idea is that nothing scratchy goes in with the scratchables, or to damage the wallet leather :blah:

10. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

:clap:

oh wait, this means i'm not insane (or at least have some company...), but i guess it also means i'm not a unique and beautiful snowflake :waah:

11. Tulatin

Dont you mean snowfreak? :D

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

I seem to have the odd habit of listening to people, and then just suddenly walking away, without even realizing it, while theyre still talking to me :confused:

I also often lose half of what my instructions are at home and do the wrong thing... and then as I am told what I did wrong I usually end up walking away :hehe:

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I think I'm actually getting worried now :D

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

I was worried after rich's first post tbh :D

15. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

My wallet always goes in my back right pocket but no money in it. I only ever have cards and receipts in my wallet. Money goes in front right and keys/phone in front left unless I'm wearing a jacket or hoodie and the phone and keys go in whatever kind of pockets are on the jacket/hoodie.

I've been told I'm obsessive about my mess. I actually like the mess my room usually stays in and hate for someone to clean up or organize for me. Actually, there's clothes and stuff laying around that I don't mind being picked up but moving around papers and books on my desk is what gets me. I know where everything is in that "mess." "Organizing" it makes me lost.

I hate going to public restrooms with other people in there. I also hate when people talk on the phone in the restroom and I will hang up on you if I find out you're talking to me from the crapper.

16. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

Glasses of water ill fill and empty then again fill before i drink,
    Ill only drink from the same point on the rim of a glass
    Ill run the tap for 15 seconds or so before i use it
    Things have to be symmetrical, e.g. eggs arranged in the box
    We have 2 designs of cutlery at home, ill only use a matching knife and fork and only ever use one design
    I have a bit of a habit of washing my hands alot, sometimes ill even wash twice :worried:
    CD's have to be straigh in their cases
    I wont use the slice of bread in the bag, always the one underneath it
    Ill stand and wait for the microwave to beep rather than opening it when its done cooking

Theres probably loads more

Alex

17. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

At the start of this thread I was thinking I don't do any funny things, but having read a few posts i've been sat here thinking "hold up, I do that".

Anyway, heres a few.

- As Kna (I think) mentioned. Not superticious, but always salute a single magpie.
    - Wallet back right pocked, phone left, keys and loose change right.
    - Have to press the snooz button at least twice before getting up.
    - Can't go to bed without brushing my teeth or reading at least one chapter (apart from on a Saturday night when i'm too pissed to read)
    - Will only wear shorts and t-shirt at home. Despite the weather, or whether or not the heating is on.

18. Tulatin

^guilty of that last one too lol.

19. ajack

ajack rox

- Alphabetical order. All media has to be in alphabetical order; DVDs, CDs, books, magazines, etc.
    - I hate files and folders being in the same directory; it's gotta be one or the other. If there's a random file, I have to create a new dir to put it in, even if it's just for one.
    - When watching a movie, the room must be completely dark, to the point that I will go round covering up any LEDs with clothing/cloths/towels etc.
    - Things written on my whiteboard must be perfectly horizontal; I'll rub it out again and again if it's not.
    - Shuffle/random; I never *ever* listen to anything that's not on shuffle mode, unless it's out of my control

About all I can think of atm.

20. kergareth

kergareth What's a Dremel?

Seriously though, if you think about this, it makes sense (kind of anyways). I think it could be because we all use our computers a bit too much. After all, computers are orderly, predictable (Unless you're running anything by microsoft released before windows 2000), and fast. Perhaps this is just a subconcious desire to emulate our computer environment? Either that, or we all have some pretty severe cases of OCD.
    [/rationlization]

-I always have to have my keys and wallet in the same pockets.
    -All my cd's are placed inside their jewel cases the right way.
    -I go insane everytime somone touches/moves anything that's mine and i ask whoever moved it repeatedly where they put it.
    -A disorganized computer room drives me nuts
    -An organized bedroom just feels wrong.
    -I live in an organized mess (ie: I know where everything is, but everything is all over the place)
    -I need the toilet paper to be the right way (so that it comes from the front)
    -I cannot get up before 6:30
    -Inconsistant people drive me crazy :lol: