1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling How Much UV Colored Dye/UV Lighting Do You Use???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Derelict, 10 Feb 2005.

1. Derelict

Derelict What's a Dremel?

Just curious to know how everyone here in "Extreme Cooling" gets all their sweet looking UV reactive watercooling rigs to appear so bright? I noticed that a camera flash helps a lot, but in reality the water never looks that good.

Personally, I used the entire 3 oz. bottle I had just to get a decent UV reaction, but it still doesn't seem bright enough for me. How much dye/lighting is appropriate and what really is the best stuff to use?

I promise I did a search first, but was unsuccessful in finding the answer I'm looking for ;)

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Putting in too much really dulls the effect, not to mention reduces the effeciency of it. I found that just a few drops gave a great effect. And the more UV light the brighter it'll be. LEDs pointed at the tubing could give a better effect since it's hard to aim a CCFL and their effectiveness disperses rather quickly. I'd suggest that you refill the system and only add a drop or two at a time, giving it time to bleed thru the system, until you get something you like.

3. Derelict

Great info, I will have to try that. I believe I used WAY too much dye and that could very well be the reason why my system is not as bright. :wallbash:

4. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

hi
    i tried blue for the first time. i have to say i found it kinda dull too. the best result i got was from yellow and green. both glowed well but they stained the tubes!

i have also tried uv tubes and they seem to offer the best glow. the only thing is that the danger dan 1/2" stuff is really nice and flexiable but the only 3/8" tubing i could find was very stiff!

5. Derelict

Hmm...so maybe there's a thing with Blue UV dye in general not being so bright, or the product I purchased. I tried the stuff from www.frozencpu.com. Maybe it's time to look elsewhere?

6. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I've heard some bad stuff about their dye, so it probably is worth looking somewhere else

<A88>

7. Derelict

Ouch...too bad I still have two more un-opened bottles of it...hehe. :duh:

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I used only a few drops of the Dtek "visible blue". The UV color was more of a green and combined with the light blue color from UV on the tubing it gave an amazing turquoise-ish color. I asked them and they said what I told you - start with a few drops and add more as needed. Just try and get a little pipette or eyedropper or something so you can easily add in a few drops at a time.

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

If you want a rather long and in-depth review on the subject, Titch from TheModfathers did a wonderful article on it.

Clicky Linky

10. Derelict

Nice one, thanks! :rock:

Tags: