1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSU help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by KidModder, 13 Feb 2005.

1. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

AI have a case I am working on. Everything fits but the PSU. It fits without the cse. Any ideas tht are better?.

2. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Make a smaller case for the PSU?
    You're a modder, right? ;)

3. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

I would think twice before messing with a PSU enclosure. There is ample opportunity to destroy more than just the PSU. If you have two spare 5.25" bays at the front think about putting the PSU there. You can recess it from the front since CD-ROMs are usually 8 to 10" deep while a PSU is under 6" deep. That allows you to bend the power cord around (use one with a right angle plug) and route it to the back.

4. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Is this an entirely modded case meaning did you do it yourself?
    Usually a psu has space for a fan inside on top of the Heat sinks. On most psu this space is standard even if there's no fan there.
    What i mean is when you do have a fan there it dosn't mess in anyway with how the psu works so taking that into consideration, if you make that enclosure smaller, taking off that empty space with vent holes in the enclosure,on top of the heat sinks it should be like having a cheap fan on top of them, like having a stock psu with two fans lol :D

5. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

you can get a smaller sized psu if you don't need a lot of power - see here

I have one in my gateway, they're about 25% smaller

6. KidModder

my mod a am working on roght now is a old Yamaha CD Player. With 1 drive bay for the disc drive. AND plus i need it 50% to 40% smaller. :waah:

7. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

50% :jawdrop: that'll be a difficult task, even if you dont use the psu enclosure you have to give it the required space it needs, in a regular psu you have extra space i admitt, but it will need a minimum 1/4 inch all around just to stay safe :eyebrow:
    Dont try to squeeze something that cant and needs a minimum space, it can get messy :blah:

8. MRKIKKOMAN5645

MRKIKKOMAN5645 What's a Dremel?

well changein the enclosure is dangerous and hard to do with the requirements and stuff like that. smaller psu but u have to sacrafice power. u could get some extenders and have yr psu in a different box or container(same theme as yr pc mod) then when u want to plug it in just open the door and pull out the wires and plug um in(would wanna do some cool sleeveing) ..... hard to describe but i will figure out how to upload a pic later and show u a rough sketch

9. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

10. Xiachunyi

Xiachunyi What's a Dremel?

If shrinking the PSU is too dangerous then you could purchase a Shuttle PSU; they are very reliable.

11. KidModder

Hopefully I wil have some pics tomorrow my dads digital camera is a low battery.

12. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

People here have shrunken PSUs before - Meblin posted a guide in the Guides section. It's in the thread with a list of all the guides (stickied). Go look there for a start.

13. mjwizards15

mjwizards15 What's a Dremel?

Move ur things around or make it like it is on the out side :hip:

14. KidModder

Cant rearrange and that would look ugly.