1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Honestly, I started this project for myself. I am happy so-many people think it's cool. I have read more than a few new project logs : thanks for the inspiration MS, and that puts a bigger :D on my face than the powers that-be posting this project on the main site. I think of this project (no BS) as the people's project. Everything I have done, you can do!! Just take your time..... :thumb:

2. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Awsome work modsquad, thanks for the help with the waterblocks

your pc is looking mental, really love the work so far

3. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

I was just thinking about that very same thing. Have you had a chance to test the board and cpu? It would be a sad day when you "complete" this project only to have problems with the board, for example.

4. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Some modders on the bit-tech forum just have a level of modding that is higher then the average modder. I mean mods from for instance G-nome and Nexxo. I, and I think a lot of other fellowmodders too, think you are one of those guys Modsquad. My english may not be the best around here but I'm sure you know what I mean.

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, that would suck :wallbash:

I agree - it's not so much the mods themselves that make people recoginze a modder by his/her name and not the mod, it's the ideas and effort, and you have a ton of both. I'd definately rank this case in one of, if not the, top 5 mods that I've seen.

6. modsquad

Thanks Guys!!
    No, I have yet to test the MB, CPU or videocard. I am on vacation this week, but had real-world stuff to do today. I want to get the H20 loop tested tomorrow and then get the PSU installed (stealthing the wiring is another matter) so I can see if this monster will post. I still have a lot of work to do before the project is finished. Speaking of finished, I sleeved/heatshrank the last (I think) of the needed wiring a few hours ago.
    [​IMG]
    As I want to test the loop for a day or two, I will finish up the side window next.

PS: ShoNuff, I have not seen any updates on your project for quite some time. Whats going on?

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  7. modsquad

Testing H20 Loop

Could not help but test the H20 loop.
    [​IMG]

I had a problem with one of the plastic LED plugs on the reservoir. Even with Teflon tape I could not stop a very, very small leak (seepage). I gave up and MT'ed the resevoir (with a 10ML pipette, very useful tool) and installed the stock stainless plug.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Refilled the reservoir and turned over the pump, added more H20...PERFECT not another leak!! The Eheim 1046 is dead silent. :thumb: I was unsure if it was working at first, until I saw the H20 level in the reservoir going down!
    [​IMG]
    I will let the H20 loop test for a day-or-two. The only problem is that LED plug. Perhaps the threads where "bad", can't say, but I tried three times to get a good seal with no luck. :wallbash: I planned on flushing the loop after the test run so I will purchase another one and try again.
    [​IMG]
    Will try to finish off the side panel tomorrow..

Last edited: 15 Sep 2008
  8. Cybertronic

Cybertronic What's a Dremel?

Did you make counter sunk holes for the reservoir? :)

Looks very nice so far! :thumb:

9. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

Get some RTV silicon to seal the thread, or some thread sealing fluid from loctite - will fix that problem quickly.

10. modsquad

I have used Loctite with steel bolts, not sure what would happen when using it with plastic. Silicone sealant would most likely work, but I think there is something wrong with that plug.
    Cybertronic:
    The Innovatek reservoir's acrylic (inner) cover's bolts holes are counter-sunk from the factory. I did not use the square mounting plate (I think it looks better this way) but it was hard to cut. :dremel: I was thinking about making a (inner) cover from red acrylic, if I can find red acrylic of the correct thickness..

11. DerSandman

DerSandman What's a Dremel?

WoW it looks so luxury and noble ! Great, clean work! I hope to see soon the finished project. :clap:

12. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

Coincidence.. got my Innovatek res. today.
    To bad the fittings provided did not coher with the Aquacomputer plug 'n cool 8/6. So I plundered some rad. fittings I had sitting around.
    Nice res.
    I think i'm gonna need to get some air out my loop in a min. :wallbash:
    GL on the led issue.. I def. want to see it with the led!

13. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

Looking really good.

It's reminding me how much I need to redo my watercooling loop to make it a bit neater ;)

14. modsquad

Yes: Aqua-Computer uses 8/6mm and Innovatek uses 10/8mm tubing, small but important difference. I love my Eheim 1046..SILENT PUMP is all I can say.. :thumb:
    I was expecting more air in the loop than I ended up with (perhaps because of the reservoir being about 10" above the pump, I was able to get a "good-prime" on the pump from the start). No matter what, I will have a RED led in the res. (the plug is there now) I was going to have two!! I am sitting here typing at you and still can't believe how quite this Eheim 1046 is. Having read so many stories about pump noise (DangerDen Swiftech PolarFlow) the Eheim1046 is GREAT............

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Lookin good, I'm glad to see that it's really all coming together! I hope getting a new plug if you choose to isn't too much of a hassle :)

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Have you tried replacing the o-ring on the LED plug? You dont meed PTFE tape as its the o-ring that seals the fitting and using PTFE tape has been known to compromise the seal further.

17. kopite

kopite What's a Dremel?

Your mod looks amazing mate!

18. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

My Eheim 1046 still makes quite some noise.. like a low humming caused by the vibration from the pump on to the case.
    You did that eheim mod or the noise is just less with a FMJ?
    MS, I'm having a problem.. a pc shop in my country is offering laser-etching for 25 euro, but my acrylic sidepanel (UV Acrylic Sunbeam chassis) has LOTS of scraches. You've worked with acrylic alot, know any good solution to get those quite deep scraches out of it? Or maybe I just should order a new sidepanel :blah: .

Another thing; I have a Cuplex Evo Pro and an Eheim around i'm not using, and a friend of mine is considering watercooling his s939/XFX 6800GT and hdd's. And this friend complains that an eheim 1046 with 8/6mm fittings would not cool his system sufficiently. Please prove him wrong :eyebrow: .

(I want to get rid of that stuff and buy me that xp-m I've been craving for :naughty: .)

19. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

very nice mod. i have the same sort of problems with my
    hpps pump (12v 1046) it is all so silent exept for the some vibrations, but i have it mounted on the elheim, anti vibration washers so i dont see whats causing it
    =(

20. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

Great job so far.. Just 1 thing.. I can't see all your pictures.. You might have a couple of bad links in there.