1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Sli 'n' Shiny Wavemaster

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by coolmiester, 16 Feb 2005.

1. OneMadPoptart

OneMadPoptart What's a Dremel?

Any plans on switching the DD blocks you already have in your setups to the new *chrome* ( :D ) top models when they reach you?

I'm sure they would fit right in.

-OMP

2. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Cheers for that hippie :thumb: and i'm using the new MSI K8N SLi Platinum nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express

Anyhoo, bit of an update today...

Managed to get my hands on the correct size Tap to thread the 2 little bits of Lucite for the plugs which incidentally are Polarflo ones as i couldn't get my hands on Danger Den ones.

Also got some 2.5mm threaded brass bars...........i'm using little black nuts for the mock-up as i'll also have to re-thread the DD brass knurled thumb screws to the same thread as the rods....more taps and dies:(

Anyway here's a few pictures of the whole thing starting to take shape. Adding the brass bars had made the 2 blocks really sturdy but i'm starting to get a bit concerned about the weight.

The two GFX cards have still not turned up so things will come to a bit of a standstill as i'll need them to mount the blocks plus cards into the m/board to get the final measurement between the two left hand side barbs as they are going to need cutting.

Oh well........here's a few pictures of how they are looking now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. planki

planki ...

that is nice very nice indeed, i wonder if any companies actually produce a waterblock or two waterblocks designed specifically for this purpose?

4. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

it would be very expensive to create an SLi block, the price would mean very low sales and people like flexibility...

Im sure some company will, I just dont think its worth it, just use a piece of tube if your a cheapo or modify your block if your a show off like coolmeister!

5. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

Cooler....

You are truly a master at watercooling...I just stare at you systems and marvel..

you first led mods to the maze 3 series of blocks was what caused me to buy an entire watercooling kit the same night...I made so many purchases my bank called me to make sure I had not been robbed!!!

Well once again you have caused me to make a new endevour...BUT this time I want to buy it all from you! :) What is that beautiful green liquid you use!! how do you never have any bubbles ?! And will you ship it to the states (YES YES I know I can get all this state side already people BUT i want cooler to have the sale and I want it ALL from one place) The blocks, the psi gauge, the coolent etc...

let me know Cooler and thanks so much for all the amazing work!!!

6. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

looking very nice paul i must say, isent it going to a bit fiddly trying to fit them on 2 6600gts with all the rods and stuff ?

7. Dean_j2001

Dean_j2001 What's a Dremel?

Hey Paul

glad to see a project log out of you :D.

when you posted last week on the other thread saying you were going to be stripping it down and redoing it, i didn't think you mean't so soon. :hehe: anyway looks gorgeous as always
    *subscribed*

8. coolmiester

Cheers Morpheon..........that's good to hear and of coarse i'll ship state side but you might have to actually rob a bank yourself this time :D
    /.......just drop me an e-mail :thumb:

errr.......yes but it shouldn't be to bad once the rods are cut down to size.
    I'm hoping to mount the bottom card first and tighten it down then add the next one.
    Its not as if they got to come on and off regularly.......i hope :worried:

Anyway.....cards still haven't turned up so i've resorted to going direct to Gainward to see if they can help out.

In the mean time i'm going to do a bit of a compacted log on the whole case from start to finish so prepare for lots of shiny pics :)

9. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

looks good - im thinking of watercoling in my wavemaster - no sli tho :p

edit; did you cut the blowhole urself??

10. coolmiester

Well seeing as how these Sli cards are taking so long to turn up, I thought I’d give a quick breakdown of how the “Shiny Wavemaster” came to be as its gone through quite a few changes and never been prod logged as such!

Hahaa…..don’t know where to start now!

I guess the shiny theme came from a D-Tek White Water that I had sand blasted and polished
    [​IMG]

After that I was hooked on shiny…..so it was straight off to get my hands on a Globalwin 520watt Super Silent (22dBA) Chrome PSU which I immediately cables sleeved in UV Green.

[​IMG]

/……..and all installed. Note: to keep things looking tight, I ran the 2 CPU outlets to GPU and NB
    [​IMG]

I think I started to polish the front of the case at this point which came up great and I always planed on either chroming the rest or polishing it but it’s a really time consuming job so it was much longer before the whole case got done.

This picture was taken 22/03/04 so it took almost a year to polish it fully……..eeek where did that go???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was then lucky enough to get may hands on one of Cathers Solid Silver Cascade Blocks which also look good lit up…
    [​IMG]

I also polished a Maze4-1 and mounted an 80pelt on the Hercules 9800XT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite a while passed and other projects took up most of the time but I always planed to eventually finish this one.

I polished an Innovatek Fass-O-Matic and added a Chrome BIX which kicked things back into action.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’d also just cut a window in the Ventmaster which I was quite pleased with so decided to use the same shape and mirrored finish……….guess it was that that spurned me on to get the whole thing polished…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then came a little bit of time off over Xmas so I decided to make a start…

I knew this wouldn’t be easy so I invested in a sander/polisher
    [​IMG]

I decided to sacrifice the window and leave it in while I sanded and polished as it would give the panel much more strength and it would be easy enough to make another when it was all over.

Started off very cautious with some very fine grit and it wasn’t long before the anodising was coming off……………..it’s a lengthy job but the more time spent on sanding the easier polishing would be.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone that’s thinking of polishing a case like this……be warned it is a horrible filthy job that takes ages but if you can put up with that then the results are well worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I'd be scared to pick that thing up for the fingerprints :jawdrop: Nice work mate.

12. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

what methods did you use to chrome ur case - it luks awesome :jawdrop:

13. rob_65

rob_65 What's a Dremel?

Extremely nice. It's not chrome, as he's already stated many times :p

Can't wait to see how this turns out mate :jawdrop: :)

14. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

o ok :wallbash:

well how did you get it like that then :)

15. rob_65

rob_65 What's a Dremel?

He polished it using a piece of equipment in places. Read the thread! :)

16. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

The case is anodised aluminium, he sanded off the anodised layer and shined it up, he made a damn good job aswell :hip:

17. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Looking brilliant :cooldude:

<A88>

18. Tech-iT

Tech-iT What's a Dremel?

How bad does it show fingerprints?

Looks really nice. You should paint the inverter silver or something.

Great photography too.

19. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

thats a better answer - thanks leeum ;)

20. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

That really looks great.

Your photography skills really help the cause. Are you using a digital or slr camera. I imagine you are using a tripod as well?

Great work