1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Hose fitting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MajestiX, 15 May 2002.

1. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

is there really a difference between the size of hose fitting you get 1/2 and 3/8 besides more water flow but like cooling factors?

2. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

This is a rearly hot subject. Though there are a lot of assumptions, no one rearly knows for sure. However to show the problems, waterblocks like a nice fast waterflow to get rid of the heat. Radiators like nice slow waterflow to disipate the heat. So it is a case of getting a ballance based on the componants that you have. So the answeris a probable maybe.

3. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Well, if you need a read on the subject and a long one at that, then check out this article I saw today. It will explan the ups and downs on both sizes, types of pumps and facts and figures to prove it.

http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=179

Welldone Dave Smith

4. Wyzzord

Wyzzord What's a Dremel?

I have not read the article yet...but plan too when I have more time! It probably covers what I am about to say!! Oh well!!lol

When choosing the size of hose, there is just one main factor! Is the equipment made for that or not! let me explain. If you have a water block that is designed to be used with 3/8 tubing, then 1/2 tubing will cause a backflow, meaning, the water flow will slow down when it reaches the 3/8 opening! Take notice: just because the barbes on the block may be 1/2 doesn't mean that the "chanels" in the bluck are! I have seen some porly designed blocks that have this flaw in it! The thing to do is remain consistant throughout the entire system. Too many variations in the system will cause flow problems, now, you or the system may not notice it too much and it may or maynot make a differance in cooling, BUT...I am that picky!!! To me, it is beter to fet everything right in the first place rather than try to jurry-rig it with changeovers!!

Now...if you remain consistant throughout the system...there is not much differance (cooling wise) in 3/8 and 1/2! That will depend on the computer system, wc system and some other small details. I think that will answer you question!! I hope!! Let me know if I need to explain it better!!

5. MajestiX

just a quick questions what would the measurements be in mm instead of inches my noggin just clicked out

6. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

7. Wyzzord

Wyzzord What's a Dremel?

wow...that a REALLY usefull link!! I need to keep that in favorites!!
    Thanx scopEDOG!!

8. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

No problem bro :D

9. MajestiX

thx for the links dude really handy

10. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Good Job

There's some really good work going on here peeps. You don't see this sort of effort in other forums.

It's nice to see and thought it was worth mentioning.

11. zz300

zz300 What's a Dremel?

Pressure and flow are inversely proportional. In a closed hydraulic system pressure will remain constant throughout. Since the pressure remains the same, reducing the size of the tube will increase the rate of flow through it.
    [​IMG]
    In the above simplified system, it's clear that one unit down on the right will equal five units up on the left because of the difference in diameter between the two tubes.

12. MajestiX

just a thought but do anyone reckon it would be a good idea to use the uv reactant pvc from glowshop for tubing?

13. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

zz300

I understand what you are saying. Lots of water in 1/2" tube, Hit 3/8" bit will need to speed up to fit the water through at the same rate. However, that is theory, in the real world you hit other variables. The main one being the ability of the pump to cope with the back pressures caused when the water hits a bottle next. Therefore what you find is an overall redution in your systems flow rate. You can test this very easily - measure the flowrate of your pump, connect a waterblock and re test it. You are likely to find a lower rate.

However what you say is important in block design where you want high velocity. Having the blocks chanels being smaller than that of your tubing creates a high water velocity and therefore increase heat disipation. This is the basis of the gemini, which thrashed the maze2 and swiftech in a recent group test.

14. Wyzzord

Wyzzord What's a Dremel?

I don't see why not!! As a mater of fact..order me some too...I'll pay ya back...uh, yea that's it!! The check is in the mail??!

15. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

yes with lower gph pumps this is true.....

16. Wyzzord

Wyzzord What's a Dremel?

Where can I find this comparison of the Gemini and who makes them?!

17. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

18. Wyzzord

Wyzzord What's a Dremel?

Thanx...Thats exactly what I needed!!!

19. jamicon

jamicon What's a Dremel?

i use a relay, but i dont have a diode argh!!! i never new it could be dangerous to my psu!

when i upgrade my cooling system (right now it is scarily poor, 120 L/h pump (!) and a 80 mm fan on a 160x160mm radiator, and a home made waterblock made from a plastic cap)

20. jamicon

jamicon What's a Dremel?

wtf? how did my msg above get here? i posted it in a diff thread.

i use 1/2 inch pipes, and they seem to work well, i have a VERY low power pump, but when idle my mobo probe says my cpu is 3 degrees C about the case temp, which is pretty good.

if what is being said about back pressure from going to larger holes, then i got a prob, as my waterblock is of the circular open area desing (like the OCWC polyblock and the tide pool etc)

Tags: