1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PS2 HDD -Reformat for PC use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Terin_Altari, 18 Feb 2005.

1. Terin_Altari

Terin_Altari What's a Dremel?

Ok I dont see why this would be a problem, but I wanna make sure. Can I take the PS2 HDD that I dont use (because FFXI is pretty worthless anymore) and reformat it for use in my computer as a primary HDD?

I want to reformat it and use it for testing out freeBSD, as I have a friend who just got it up and running on his PC and now I wanna play around with it.

Thanks,
    Blake D.

2. TMM

TMM Modder

PS2s don't have hdds afaik... :eyebrow:

3. Springs

Springs Boing boing

i believe they do... its an addon for it but i dont think it came out in England.. i think ive only seen it on a few american sites...

edit: looking here:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/23/news_6092076.html

when u get final fantasy u can get the HDD with it... but looking at other sites about the hard drive.. to me it looks like a 2.5 laptop drive? if thats right then all you should need is a adapter and it should work... if not search around the net for PS" forums..

Last edited: 18 Feb 2005
  4. Terin_Altari

Yeah they released it in america saying it was gonna be a great new add-on *blah blah blah* Well the only thing its good for is Final Fantasy XI, sony said they arent gonna release anything else for it in the states, and since I dont play FFXI anymore it seems to be worthless unless I can throw it in my computer, which I dont see as a problem unless they have some special protection in it I dont know about.

5. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

PS2 HDD's are for downloading games, iirc it's called HD Advance. You slot in a Maxtor upto 120GB and then put all the games you download onto it and they play from there.

6. Springs

Springs Boing boing

IIRC if you have a mod chip aswell you could get downloaded games to work on it... but we dont want to go there do we...

but like you said they wernt really advertised enough so no one really brought it and didnt release it in over countries..

7. Terin_Altari

Yeah thats why I just wanna take it out of my ps2 and use it as a PC Harddrive. Its standard HD size, not laptop size. And at 40gb its not terribly bad. I just dont know if sony has anything in there to prevent me from reformatting it as a PC harddrive.

8. Terin_Altari

Found out it can indeed be formatted for use in a home computer. This taken from the playstation.com message boards.

Wonder I didn't check there in the first place. lol

9. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I think the fact that only 1 game ever made use for it probably didn't help! :D
    I remember laughing when my mate told me about it because I didn't think it'd ever take off. Ah well, there's always the PS3 to 'look forward' to.

10. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

If you have a final fantasy XI disk stick it on ebay, as you will get enough to buy a 120 gig. Even if you don't it should still make 50 quid.

11. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

If you do decide to use it for your computer, i implore you to backup the disc first, so that someday it would still be possible to reformat and use if you, or someone else wanted to, but i would sell it, as there are many people who still want that game, and many people still do play it (i dont, never did)

My spelling and cogniscensce sucks at 2AM = sleep time

12. Springs

Springs Boing boing

like the others said you could sell it and buy a bigger drive with it... but if u want to use it again then there is no point..