1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cowcharge, 17 Feb 2005.

1. Cowcharge

Cowcharge What's a Dremel?

Hiya all,
    Celeron 2.93ghz, 512 mb pc3200, asus p4s800, geforce4 mx440. What temp do you have to reach to pose a danger to your CPU? In bios after a reboot, directly after playing BF1942, I got 76.5c. And is the danger temp the same whether it's overclocked or not (it's not yet, but I've read it can be clocked to 3.8ghz!)?
    Thanks!
    Cow

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

76.5 Idle? That is definatly too hot, and overclocking a celery to 3.8GHz? Haven't heard of that before, but you'll probably melt the cpu!

EDIT: Realised you said after playing BF1942, still on the high side.

More fans, better/bigger heatsink?

But as some say, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Trying to find a database on die temps, seen one before.

3. captainanabolic

captainanabolic Banned

lol yeah that is a little hot though it will be ok if it hasnt shown signs of instability. could be a dodgy sensor also.

4. Cowcharge

my old p3-700 used to run at 45c or so, but I know the northwood's are supposed to be much hotter... Just installed MBM5, reading 32 case, 62 cpu. Guess that low profile cooler's got to go... What's a good aiming point for temp?

Tom's hardware claims they got a celeron northwood 2.8 up to 3.8 and whupped a p4 3 gig in the process...

5. captainanabolic

captainanabolic Banned

it is possible though im thinking you would at least need watercooling unless you got an exceptional chip.i would aim for a load temp of 50-60C max. running prime95 torture test for example. try to sort your case airflow, e.g rounded IDE cable if they are in the way, winding PSU molex cables not in use, maybe using some braiding etc.

6. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

my average temp is about 29 degrees, Ice

7. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

A prescott celeron can hit 3.8 or so with proper cooling and will perform like a 3.2 or so p4. The northwood celerons were very poor overclockers as they used the A core northwood witch at most toped out at 3ghz. Then again they may have used a c series northwood on one and hit 3.8ghz. But thats draw of the luck.

In contrast my olde celeron 2.4 barely managed to hit 3ghz at 1.7vcore and two blowers hiting the heatsink and sounding like a vacum cleaner.

But it soiunds like you got a d series celeron and thus will experince a way higher oc on it with a good heatsink.

my two cent.

8. Cowcharge

Oops, it is a prescott, celeron d 340 2.93ghz

9. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I shouldn't worry too much if your system is stable, but a 20°C reduction would be good to aim for.

10. Cowcharge

I'm building a custom, low-profile case, so I bought a low-profile cooler. I just installed the cooler that came with the CPU, and now it's reading 50 cpu, 28 case with the cover off... Just surfing.

11. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

You might want to try flashing the motherboard bios to the latest, sometimes this can make a huge difference to the temp readings, the later the bios, the more accurate, i lost 10 degrees just by updating, still ran at 60 but this was a duron.

matt

12. Cowcharge

The board already had the latest bios installed...

Woohoo! Just got rid of "What's a Dremel?"! Good thing, since I just bought a new Dremel xpr 400, hehe.

13. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

On my prescott core 3.2 HT I had load temps of 68 to 73 (depending on if I was gaming or just FAH) with the stock cooler. I mounted up a ThermalRight XP120 and my temps dropped to a rock steady 47 celsius for load.

Now Im messing around with a little OC and Im at 3.71 GHz with a Prime95 full load of 55 celsius.

I would try to get your temps down a little more if your going to even attempt an OC.....

14. Cowcharge

Great! I'm gonna go look for that cooler now, LOL.
    Thanks guys! By the way, just tried BF1942 with the stock cooler, got 61c.

15. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

My P4 Northwood 2.8ghz (800fsb) idles at 32 and load at 42. On stock cooler.

16. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

Yeah but the prescott core processor are known to be many furnaces, they will run FAR warmer..........

17. Cowcharge

As I type this, with prime95 running, I'm at 66 with a stock cooler...

18. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Which is awfully hot for a processor. Still functional, as the Prescotts also will fully operate at much higher temps, but they standardly run much higher. Just to give you a guage, my A64 3000+ OC'd to 255Mhz fsb, runs at 49* C with the stock cooler.

19. Cowcharge

This is a prescott, celeron d 2.93ghz. Any idea where I can find Intel's recommended temp data?

20. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

This can probably be outruled, but what kind of cooling do you have in the case?