1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cowcharge, 17 Feb 2005.

1. TMM

TMM Modder

http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...Fam=1035&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL
    or
    http://processorfinder.intel.com/sc...Fam=1035&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL
    or
    depending on the stepping of the CPU

Recommended MAX temp on all 3 is 67*C though. I'd recommend under 55*c MAX though

Last edited: 19 Feb 2005
  2. Cowcharge

Cowcharge What's a Dremel?

Actually, none. Well, my new Antec psu has an intake fan on the same side as the processor, so that does kinda act as an exhaust fan for the case, but nothing else yet. I robbed a fan from another psu and installed it in the front of the case, but I haven't soldered the wires to a molex yet.

and I've been running prime95 at 100% cpu usage for... 8 hours so far tonight, still running, hasn't moved from 33c/66c and no errors yet... As I understand it, not many games tax the system like prime95, is that true?

3. Cowcharge

Wow, that's too close to what I'm getting. Are those temps the point where performance starts to degrade, or where actual damage can occur? After reading that, I shut down prime95 until I get that case fan soldered in, I'm back down to 53 so far and feeling much safer, LOL...

4. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

Shat man, you need some air moving thru that case.......load it up with decent fans. If you have the means to cut one I highly suggest a 120mm fan on the side panel blowing air on yer processor as well.

I suspect you will see a pretty good drop in temps with just some case fans.

5. TMM

TMM Modder

It'd definately start to be unstable at those temps. You probably wouldn't do any damage at 70*c for a short period of time, but i wouldn't be surprised if a CPU died after running 80*c+ for a few weeks or so.

6. Cowcharge

Well, added an 80mm intake to the front of the case today, since there was a built-in spot for it... I'm running prime95 right now and am at 35c/66c, everything is stable, but I guess I'd better cut a hole and put one in the top to exhaust. what a pain to remove everything from the case to cut the hole! Never seen so much heat in a computer before, guess it comes with the upgrade territory.

7. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

wow......i thought most processors would be dead if they hit anything over 60c obviously not......i have a xp3200+ @ 2420mhz and i get 35-37 c idle and 43-45 running prime95 or gaming (HL 2 etc...) i have a areocool deep impact hsf but i'm only running one of the fans they included

8. aaronrkelly

I dont have a blowhole in my PC.......try a single 120 mm fan in the side panel blowing directly on your processor. That wont require you to remove your components. Set it up as a intake fan.........you still need an exhaust, doesnt your PC have a spot for one in the back.

I have 2 intakes in the front, 2 exhaust in the back - all 80mm fans

I have 2 intake 120mm fans on the side panel, one on the CPU and one on the video card

I have a ThermalRight XP120 on my processor with panaflo fan

All the 120s are hooked up to a fanbus and are turned down. Current temp is 54 celsius full load OCd to 3.71 GHz from 3.2

9. Cowcharge

I'm only using this old cramped case so I can continue to use my pc while I scratchbuild Project Reliant, so I'm trying not to spend all my time modding this one, LOL. I'm also using this as an opportunity for education on cooling, as this is the first cpu I've had that needed anything above its own fan, and Reliant is going to be very low profile...

The power supply is in the way of any direct blow from the side on the CPU... God the thing must have 40 lbs of wires coming out of it (Antec SmartBlue)! I have to do something with all those cables! The ribbon cables aren't helping either.

There are only a couple of small rectangular vent hole arrays on the back, no space big enough for fans unless I use 60mm...

I just took the right side cover off to see if the temp drops at all. I've been just running mbm and Opera (cpu at only 2-4%!!!!) as I read the forums, running 35/53. I suspect three things:
    1. I need a better cooler than the one included with my CPU. Anyone know a great one that's no higher than 2 inches (socket 478)?
    2. Even with two fans, the psu is contributing to case temps (Reliant will have remote psu which should help).
    3. I need more air!

A question: Can I splice two case fan signal wires together to control both fans from one mobo fan connector (only have two on mobo), or do I have to use a controller?

Down to 32/50 with the right side cover off...

10. aaronrkelly

I would not suggest splicing two fan wires together and plugging it into a header on your motherboard - it could draw more power than the header could supply therefore burning up that header or possibly cauing motherboard damage. You could use a converter to make your extra fan 4 pin molex and then plug it into any of the PSU molex connectors - or you could get a fan controller. I recommend the fan controller if you have the room.

11. Cowcharge

Ok, I installed an 80mm exhaust fan directly above the CPU to match the one in the front. It definitely helped with the case temps. I also put in round ide cables and pushed the ribbon cables for the floppy and the platinum drive to the edges of the case, and tidied up the psu wires a bit. Now, overclocked to 3192ghz, with prime 95 running at 100% for 12+ hrs, I have a steady 59/28 (case is 10 above ambient) with no errors and as far as I can tell, perfectly stable. I'm getting there! Next experiment is to set the psu outside the case (as it will be in the project) to see how much heat it generates by itself. I still think I'll have to get a better cooler at some point. I'm not going to overclock any higher until I get the temp down some more.

A question about temp-controlled fans: If you don't use the mobo header, do they run at 100% all the time? Also, my new Antec 80mm fans don't light up their leds, whether on the header or not. They both have molex connectors plus a single wire for the mobo header. Any clues?

Thanks for all the help guys, Jeez, how'd I ever complete a project before the Internet?
    Cow

12. Cowcharge

43/27 just surfing

13. Cowcharge

hmmm, overclocked to 3669 and running 46/27 just surfing, gonna have to try a game now I guess :)