1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Close Calls

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RotoSequence, 3 Feb 2005.

1. boomboom

boomboom What's a Dremel?

We were once working on a little casemod, we were sorting out the hardware and stuff. I was running a pc when the idiot next to me pulled out the ram. It gave quite a bang :rock: , it still works :hehe: .

An other time at school, there was an idiot using a open psu for show. It worked fine, till he shortwired it with his screwdriver. it blew out al the fuses in the school :wallbash: , We won't be seeing him around anymore :naughty:

2. setishock

setishock What's a Dremel?

Well...

I had a Maxtor 80 gig brand new out of the box. I was sitting at my desk reading the lable to get the jumper info. When Foxy my cat decided to do a claws out, four paw drive, climb up my leg. Needless to say that was a painful surprise. The drive went up in the air landing rather hard on my desk. It left a nasty dent in my desk top. After dog cussing the cat, I hooked it up as a slave to my system and formatted it. Seems to be ok and after a year still seems to be ok. Foxy now seems to not like getting in my lap or being around my computer for that matter. She just walks by it and flips her tail.

3. cbr

cbr What's a Dremel?

A close call in many ways was when a pr0n CD-R blew up in my CDROM :D We took it to the shop. Luckily it was shattered and didn't have "cbr's pr0n disk" written all over it :cooldude:

4. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

Was replacing a powersupply a few years ago, and followed the wiring diagram for the power switch incorrectly. I hit the power button to turn on the system, heard a loud POP!, and tripped the surge protector in my power bar. Freaked, and checked for any damage....... Luckily in addition to wiring the switch wrong, I also forgot to plug in the mobo. Re-connected everything <b> correctly </b> this time, and everything worked :)

5. xrain

xrain Minimodder

i too have had the problem of plugging both the molex annd the sata molex into a brand new hardrive, lol i ran it this way for about 4 hours, then noticed it and quickly turned off the comp, and fixed my mistake, lol it was my freinds comp that i had just built for him, and lucky it still works to this day! :D

lol then the same freind about 4 years back, i had just gotten a brand new sony viao, and me and my freind were watching dvd's on it, he had a 7up in his hands right over my labtop with out me noticeing, (somehow) he managed to have it slip out of his hands, and spil all over my nice new labtop, i quickly turned it off and took out the zip drive witch was ezaly removeable, and shook it out over the sink and took off alot of the keys, wipeing the soda out, when i got it all dried off, i put it back to gether and it ran! fine! lol i do have a few sticky keys tho....

6. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

chipped an athlon core, changing a hsf.

Had a hard drive go bang, took the pcb off it cleaned it put it back and it booted 3rd time (first time it didn't reconize the drive but made a strange set of clicks towards the end of the bios, second time the bios saw it then didn't boot, third tie it booted as if nothing had ever happened to it) still works to this day *cough*C:\*cough*

had a Total Annihilation disk explode in my dvd drive, heard some /serious/ crunching, emptied the drive into the bin... plugged it back in, perfect :)

7. Chucjy

Chucjy What's a Dremel?

had all the normal close calls ( water going in pc, cutting fingers open on fans e.t.c) but best one was a freind of mine ....

He had just spent a load of money on a pc ( fx53, new mobo, 2gb of ram, x800pro and a few hard drives)

any way we was on the floor in his front room putting everything in his new lian li when he asked me to pass him the x800, i ask where it is and he said its behind me so i turn around and theres just an empty box ....

I turn back to him and tell him n he looks and is like WTF wheres me card ... then after 2 seconds later his dog ( a boxer) comes walking in holding it by the pci plate.

Ive never seen some ones face acctualy look like this :jawdrop: i just start laffing my head off thinking the dogs either had its way with it :naughty: , or just muched on it any way he slowly got across the room with out the dog moving and got it off the dog and after all that the dog had done ... nothing justa nice little dint wheres its teeth had bin on the back plate ... all fine :thumb: still his dog got a well deserverd steak for that

8. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

Once, I was repairing a computer at the local tech group when someone else called me over for help. When I got up, I quickly realized why very few computer technicians have big breasts! I knocked over the film cylinder that I was using to store the screws removed from the computer, and the screws went all over the floor. I decided to use a hard drive motor magnet to recover the screws, and I accidentally erased a floppy disk in the process! Thankfully, there were plenty of backups.

Another time, I modified a Netgear MA111 to accept an external antenna (it had two SMD antennas, so I replaced one with a piece of coax and a SMA connector), and while I was testing it, I decided to unscrew the external antenna to see if it made a diffference, and I touched the end of the live connector by accident. Let me just say that 2.4GHz really hurts, LOL.

9. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Why do you think they call it 'Total Annihilation'? :naughty:

I had an AMD k6-2 system and I was running it a 450Mhz instead of 266 (god knows how I managed that :duh: ). In any case the CPU cooler was a noisy little bugger and I unplugged the fan because it was driving me crackers. Two hours later I came back to my room to find it very stinky and pretty crisp. Needless to say it didn't work anymore :blah:

10. emesdee

emesdee What's a Dremel?

Many moons ago i snapped a cap off of my spanky Voodoo (yes, the voodoo 1) card. Still worked though.

Also, trying to remove a 462 HSF that had been put on the wrong way around I slipped with the screw driver and jabbed the board. A slightly chipped resistor, but again still worked.

Finally, just last week, I spilt about 1/2pint of blackcurrent juice on my IIyama 454 VMP... Luckily it was already bust, I was unplugging it for a warranty replacement.

11. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Back when I had a dual PIII 933MHz rig, I nearly fried the lot. I'd just changed the CPU heatsinks for huge Globalwin FOP 32-1s a couple of hours previous, and was playing around overclocking and benchmarking the thing (having got it to over 2x1.1GHz) when I knocked the case. There was a huge clang from somewhere inside, and the video display went totally wonky, then went black.

I quickly pulled the plug out, and whipped the side off to see what had happened. I found out that I hadn't fitted one of the CPU heatsinks properly, and the clip had jumped off. The heatsink had fallen down, landing on top of the Voodoo 3 card. (which was pretty reasonable back then). Miraculously, both the PIII which had lost its heatsink and the graphics card still worked when I put it back together.

The graphics card is no longer with us, but the rest of the computer is now a server at work, and runs flawlessly to this day. :)

12. omicron

omicron Baud.

Had one earlier this morning when I was taking the faceplate off my shuttle..and the allen key flew out of my hand (im very clumsy) and skidded across the mobo (it was on at the time, and the sides are off my shuttle while I work on 'em)..luckily both ends managed to land on the surface of plastic chips..o_O.

Back when I had a CRT I managed to knock a pint of chocolate milkshake down the back of it ><. (I told you I was clumsy!) Needless to say, I dont have a CRT anymore.. my family decided it'd be safer if they bought me a TFT..so it wasn't all bad :clap:

13. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i forgot to plug the heatsink fan cable into mobo, luckly it kept switching its self off about 80*c i started to smell funny smell when i realised i got the hoover, it span the fan realy fast :p cooled it down to about 30 in a few mins