1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Classified - Side Panel assembled 90% finished

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by crash32953295@msn., 22 Feb 2005.

1. crash32953295@msn.

crash32953295@msn. What's a Dremel?

Welcome to my mod this is really the second mod i have done, the first was just a simple spraying of the case and adding a grill in the front, but i have decided to go further with my mod.

Below are the steps i want to forfill in my mod

1, dremal the side of my case so the window is bigger and i can say i created it, at the moment it has the window from a premodded case. i am going to use heavy duty screws to give it the look and maybe rust the screws up a bit.

2, i hope to be getting new hardware this week to install 64bit processor and the lanpart nf4 sli-dr which i have i am waiting for the new ram and 6800 GT also a rapter hard drive.

3, The third step is a new coat of paint already it has base coat grey and lightlly sprayed with black which makes it look kinda camo and really good i think, the new colour scheme i want to get the effect of a fire from the inside to burn and scortch marks.

4, I hope to be designing a door opening system for my drives, if i think this is too complicated i might just spray them or might use some mesh and mesh the front of them.

5, on the fornt bezel i have alreayd got a miliatry switch and some mesh, i hope to be modding the cd drives so the mesh has 2 more switches on which are for the cd drives i will wire them up so there is no button on the cd drives.

6, and finally sit back and enjoy my new computer case in its glory (if it has glory :D )

So i will post some pics up, stage 1 is under way but it is taking longer than expected to get through the metal with a dremal and im also scared there are sparks everywhere and foolish opf me im doing it in my room :dremel: :duh:

So please post comments below and also here are some pics

[​IMG]
    What it looks like now

[​IMG]
    My front grill

[​IMG]
    Whole case

These 3 are of the side panel and my dremal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Mar 2005
  2. vampire

vampire What's a Dremel?

nice work, looks very good. :thumb:

3. crash32953295@msn.

Thanks for that, i have just broke my first dremel disk Woooo :dremel: Im very scared of dremels lol and now i need some more disks as i think im gonna go through them quicklly,

Progress report,

I have now done the left side of the side panel 3 more sides to go :D

I hope to get this done by today weather permitting but i dont think its gonna remain dry i see rain clouds :waah:

4. Peddro

Peddro What's a Dremel?

it is possible to do it with 2 dremel disks, just carefull... many times over the same piece, then you safe your disks... :)

5. crash32953295@msn.

Ok guys another update for today, i have done a bit more on the panel and i have pictures below, i do need some advice while i am dremeling the side the dremel pulls backward into the already cut bit and vibrates a lot, i think this was the cause of the first disk break, does any one have any advice on how to stop this from happening.

Here are the progress pics so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. T-MINUS 10

T-MINUS 10 Banned

my mate has the same case, good luck with the dremel. :hehe: :thumb:

7. crash32953295@msn.

Thanks for the comments, i have now completed the second length and destroyed another 3 disks :wallbash: but i think i am getting the hang of it and i should have to other 2 bits cut tommorow and then ill start on cutting the perspex

8. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

sounds like your placing far too much pressure on the disks... let the dremel do the work and youll find less vibrations and less disk wear!

9. stu_69

stu_69 What's a Dremel?

First time I used a Dremmel I broke the disk and the disk holder (not too sure what you call it) and it wasn't even mine. Been afraid to use one since.

Anyway nice work so far.

Stu

10. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

do you see how you are going some distance into the material? try cutting out so you do not have so much over hang of left over material that is just going to come off anyway.
    I hope you know what I mean.

11. crash32953295@msn.

Ok another update i have done lots of work this morning my confidence with my dremel is high now, i think its all to do with confidence when using one, alot like sex with a beutifull woman. (joke yes i kno bad joke)

So here are the progress pictures, i am currentlly using a sanding tool but it might take some time there is a lot of thick bits.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So im going to go down to my local dremel store and see what they recomend for the sanding, also ordering the rest of my computer today and shall install it by the end of the week if it arrives on time, So please comment on my progress thank you.

12. vampire

vampire What's a Dremel?

nice, big window..... keep modding! :dremel:

13. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

The window is huge. Watch out for fingerprints tho.

14. crash32953295@msn.

lol yes the whole idea with the window is that as it was before i couldnt see everything and i like to show off a LOT so i though nice big window, im putting in big bolts as well so its going to look really industrial hopefully when done.

15. crash32953295@msn.

OK guys we have another update woooo, i found time to do some work in my busy sleeping schedule, so i have removed all the computer parts from the main case and transfered them and got it all working in an old silver cas ei used to have server in,

Then i sanded down the side panel so it is a lot smoother now, i think i have got it as straight as i can, so tommorow i will try drilling holes for the screws. I also removed a ledge on the main case that was getting in the way of the psu, so all in all a good day also bought some more dremel bits,

so without delay here are the pics,

[​IMG]

This is the bit i removed from the case

[​IMG]

And here it is removed wooo, love my dremel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So thats the side panel on it, i kno its not straight but i have tried my hardest.

[​IMG]

This is the fornt panel up close

[​IMG]

and if u can see it this is the bolt for the perspex

[​IMG]

And this is the mess left after the taking out of the parts lol.

So thats the update for today i hope you liked it please leave ur comments, tommorow i hope to be drilling holes cutting the perspex and if i get time i will be installing the new components that should be arriving tommorow, as well as getting my hair cut wow i got a busy day ahead , well for not good bye.

16. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

sorry... i cant see how that is straight at all... get a large hand file if needs be, id only use a dremel to get it nearer to straight, then use a hand tool to straighten it fully. otherwise it looks good

17. crash32953295@msn.

Sorry about not having an update for a while, i have now got all the components into the case and worrking with the sides off, i am still working on the sides making it straight as some have mentioned it could be better,

I also need to get a new psu as this one is not powerfull enough nor does it have enough connecters for al the components in the pc.

I will start work on the case again tonight and will cut the perspex and give you all an update on my progress later on tongiht or tommorow because im now back at work :waah:

18. DeViLSpArK

DeViLSpArK What's a Dremel?

the other window looked better :rolleyes:

19. crash32953295@msn.

Well im going for a big view inside the case that was a restricted view with the other panel and the whole handle bit hid the cpu fan. i like to see the inside of my computer thankyou.

20. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Just out of curiosity what you using to window it. I ask that becuase i made a window that big in my case and well 3 days later i finally got things working. The plexi i used was wide and if you did get the side panel on it was a pain in the REAR to get it off again. I had to well do some work on it to make it easier.