1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Why me. Why?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by pr0xZen, 20 Feb 2005.

1. pr0xZen

pr0xZen What's a Dremel?

Not a total disaster, but as the clock ticks away the minutes and hours, it is closing in.

Ok, so I've planned my custom window for quite a while. Experimenting with different designs and cross-styles in scetches, because its simply impossible to get hands on plain Chieftec dragon fulltower doors (anod. blue) anymore. So, f**king up the design and leaving a finished product that I was unhappy with was not an option.

There's this LAN party coming up monday, and everything was set up, designed, measured and templated three times. everything masked up and ready to go. :dremel: 40 minutes into the works I realize these "fiberglass reinforced cutting discs" actually, that cost me almost twise the ammount the regular did, wears down 3 times as fast. Ok they don't snap as quickly, but I've got a pretty steady hand.

DAMNIT! :wallbash: 15 minutes until shop closes, and its saturday. I run like a freakin' tasmanian devil and reaches the hardware store just as they close down. But, they let me in. I get 2 packs of heavy-duty discs and a 10pack of extra larges. I stop to look at a cheap dremel-imitation, that came with flexshaft and holder, priced at $30. I thought "Hey, maybe I'll just get that one next week - I could use a flexshaft, but the orignal one alone sums about $60. And a having a backup dremel wouldn't be too bad an idea too"...

Safely back home. been dremling with pauses, for about 3-4 hours (1mm steel). Take a break for smoke and MD. :hip: Comes back.
    Guess what - something smells. :eyebrow:

My sweet durable dremel have passed away! NOOOOO! :waah: Every atempt to apologize for hard work and no pay - every attempt to swear I'll never look at another dremel... no worky. There it is. Tomorrow is sunday. I call everyone i know locally at 11.30pm, and no dremel. no NOTHING! In fury and anger I try to force the damn cutting disc rod into the drill, and the f**king chuck breaks! ARGH!

So there it is. The doors at the LAN party opens at 10am monday morning, and I have two choices. I go there with a halfway chopped up door - or a cardboard door.

:waah:

2. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

wow to bad you could alwase get out a jigsaw or something or use a ducktape door.

3. pr0xZen

pr0xZen What's a Dremel?

Got no jigsaw, not enough tape left. *whine*

4. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

why not take a different side panel, do all the other work, then go to the lan, and when you come back finish chopping?

or a cheappo solution is to buy a generic grey box and paint it black or something, and don't show off until the next lan

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

You have 32 teeth. Use them.

6. Machine

Machine What's a Dremel?

Use a jigsaw, you will not be able to cut hard designs, but whit some skills you will get de job done :dremel: .
    Sorry about your dremel :sigh:

7. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

lol @ altron

8. foxx

foxx What's a Dremel?

:read:

9. K.I.T.T.

K.I.T.T. Hasselhoff™ Inside

i sadly have no solutions but i can answer your question of 'why?' well straight and simple, its sod's law......you see sod's law states that all tools will break at the most inoportune momoent and leave you with a situation similar to this

10. pr0xZen

pr0xZen What's a Dremel?

Well. The decision is clear now. I will have to go to the lan party when I'm done. Just have to be at the shop when it opens monday morning. I'll try to work as fast as i can, but not so fast as to cut down on quality and finish.
    There's gonna be some 600 people there, so I'm hoping its worth it.

Altron, If I hadn't already tried biting and chewing, I wouldn't be this desperate now, would I ? :D

Oh, and no - I don't have any other side panels that fits. There arent that many I know with fulltowers, in use or laid to rest.

11. sladey

sladey What's a Dremel?

so - did you make it ?

was it any good ?

hows you window looking - any pics ?

12. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

So have you finished the mod ? Pics ? you've got to have finished it ?

13. pr0xZen

pr0xZen What's a Dremel?

What happened? I waited. Monday morning at the shop when it opened, new dremel.

Sorry for the poor cam quality, phone camera, best I could do. It was finished 2 minutes ago. Finally!!!!! :hip:
    [​IMG]

What u think? There's a logo in the sircle... pretty much impossible to see on the pic though

14. Brew

Brew What's a Dremel?

Nice cut:)

Although, it sounds like your using way, way too much force when your cutting if your breaking reinforced discs and killing your dremel. Remember, dremel is all about speed not torque, if you push the disc into your cut youll break the disk or wear it down super fast at the very least and its also very hard on the dremel itself. I use nothing but fiberglass reinforced and I can make them last a long while. Always let the tool do the work :dremel:

15. Raymus

Raymus What's a Dremel?

thank you Altron for making me choke on the cigarette puff I just took. lmao

nice cutting on that window m8. :dremel:

16. pr0xZen

pr0xZen What's a Dremel?

I try not to use too much force, as I know it's about speed. why else go towards 35-40.000 rpm? The problem was I had no flexshaft earlier, and the dremel imitation i had was quite large and difficult to "aim". Why the reinforecd disks wore down so fast i dont know, but the standard big disks lasted about 3-4 times longer... ? :eyebrow:

17. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've made the mental note to not cheat on my dremel. Shame about not getting the window done in time but it does look very well done.

18. Monster63385

Monster63385 What's a Dremel?

I have one word for you, "Walmart". Open 24 hours and not only sells imitation dremmels but the real thing too. If you don't have a Walmart in your home town, call up the Walton family and beg, plead or threaten them to build one there. :D

Great job on cutting the window though. :dremel: :dremel:

19. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

Walmart.. in Norway... now that would be a novel idea.

Helluva nice window btw.

20. pr0xZen

pr0xZen What's a Dremel?

Thanks :) Although I really like the idea, i guess the closest we ever got to realizing that dream was 7-eleven.
    And they don't sell any dremel accessories do they, precious... No they don't.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2005