1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics what can i do with this huge lcd

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kerri Ann, 22 Feb 2005.

1. Kerri Ann

Kerri Ann What's a Dremel?

ok, not huge, but big compared to any that ive worked with. 8x80 lines...

it has a part number- LM796XKPR, but i came up with absolutely nothing on google or elsewhere. must be custom made...
    anyways, i pulled it out of a smith corona wp/typewriter, i couldn't resist, it was backlit an awesome blue color....
    so now that i have it apart, i have noted a couple things:

it has 7 controller ICs. there are-
    3 Sanyo LC7940
    3 Sanyo LC7941
    1 Sanyo LC7942

on the back of the pcb. on the main controller board for the word processor, the chip which is closest to and has the most connections to the lcd's pcb is the HD61830B00, which is an LCDC timer IC. I'm hoping I don't need that one...
    oh- and it has a 10 pin connectoir on the end of the pcb...

so my question is, can i interface this thing with a PIC or something. I have no experience with PICs, so i'm not sure how to figure something like that out...

2. coorz

coorz Miffed

Last edited: 22 Feb 2005
  3. Kerri Ann

[​IMG]
    there's the back of the lcd... those other two small ICs on the bottom left are an unknown chip and what seems to be a generic LM324...
    here's the part number...
    [​IMG]

4. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

From my experience, those two small chips in the lower left take care of the voltages needed for LCD driving. Ever see the part in the data sheet where they go into the multi-level voltage signals for driving each pixel? Some of the more basic LCDs dont even have these and require 5 different LCD driving voltages.

The rest appear to be collumn and row driver ICs.

Your best bet, take a picture of the PCB with the HD61830B00 chip. It may be possible to cut out that part of the LCD and keep the controller just for your purpose of driving this LCD.

I had a Hyundai HG25604 from allelectronics that got messed up, but I stripped it of its glass and cut the PCB down so I could use the SED1330F chip along with the memory IC and the oscilator. So, for $18 I ended up with a stand-alone SED1330 driver board I can hook up to any controllerless LCD for testing. Maybe you could do the same.

5. Kerri Ann

[​IMG]
    do you think it could be used?

Last edited: 23 Feb 2005
  6. coorz

coorz Miffed

Here's the datasheet for the HD61380, there are some good application notes that can help you.
    What puzzles me is that the LCD looks to big (looks like 600x200) to be controlled by a single HD61380.
    Otherwise as Hazer said a SED would be able to drive it, but then you'd still need the pin layout of the LCD, which can be traced with the HD61380 datasheet and that seperate PCB.

7. Kerri Ann

nevermind :p

8. Kerri Ann

ok, i am thoroughly confused! i have racked my brain tracing the lines on the pcb from the connectors to the HD61830 and to the various components, and i'm just about cross eyed! :waah:
    i really want to use this lcd though, is there no way to use the 10 connector interface with a more simple design?

9. coorz

coorz Miffed

Your controller board looks difficult to hack up and re-use. I'd do the following;
    1) trace the pin-layout of that LCD with the help of the HD61380 datasheet
    2) GROUND and +5 (Vcc) should be quite easy to trace, just use the LM324 datasheet and trace them on the LCD's PCB.
    2) buy a MPI SED1335 board ($45) they're easy to use and well documented
    3) grab a DC-DC converter from All-Electronics as you're likely to need one for LCD contrast control

10. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

In the picture of the board with the HD61830 controller and RAM on it you don't show the whole board. Is it only a small part of the board that is not shown or is it larger board in which the controller is just a small part ? A photo which would include the whole thing would be nice.

I would still try to use the controller board you already have as it would probably be the easiest solution. Is there some cable to go between the controller board and display or do the boards just stack together ?

In your original post you mention a size of 8x80 character so with 6x8 font this would be 64x480 pixels or with 8x8 font 64x640 pixels so the size of the panel should be something like that.

Problem with the suggestion of using SED1335 controller is that it doesn't have similar interface to HD61830. HD61830 uses 2 serial data lines (upper and lower screen) when SED1335 uses 4 parallel datalines. So panels designed to use with either type of controller might not be compatible with the other. Checking LC7940 datasheet we can see that it supports both serial and parallel input modes but there is one pin that configures which is used. So this lcd panel is probably hardwired for serial input. I don't know how much changes might be necessary to change it to support 4 bit parallel input.

11. Kerri Ann

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the contrast control is already present, on the lcd's pcb...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and these two pics show that there are 2 sets of 10 pins.... one is unused.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. One~Zero

One~Zero What's a Dremel?

Kerry Ann, yours looks very similar to the one I was inquiring help with connecting in another post:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=910282#post910282

If you haven't sold this already (noticed you had it up on EBAY for a bit), you could try that wiring for yours. Good luck.

By the way, if you want to sell that HD61830 controller board, let me know!!