1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Cube(Name not decided yet) -- Last Update 25/02/05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Well33t, 24 Feb 2005.

1. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone!!

I think about starting this project for about 3 months and now I decided to begin it! I plan to make a 13po by 13po by 13po cube to be able to put an atx motherboard in this with some pci components... It will be a computer to use for anything, maybe more for gaming! I am a little bit noob in modding so if anyone would like to follow my project I will ask you some questions during this project! English is not my first language so this is why I made some mistake sometime :)

I didn't buy hardware yet but I will do it soon, I am deciding of what components I will put in it! The thing that i bought is there :

-SilenX iXtrema 400w psu
    -4 80mm clear white leds fans
    -1 120mm aluminium fans
    -Some sleeving cable
    -Multi Power Port
    [​IMG]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

L angle aluminium ( I cut them in part of 13 po with 45° angle to fit when making the cube)
    [​IMG]

The CUBE ! Semeone soldered it for me because I don't have the hum, "Tool to solder aluminium"
    [​IMG]

I had to sand the soldering stuff that where not flat with the frame (dremel didn't work because the solder where to hard so I used a "buffer"(I don't know if this is the name in english)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More update soon! :dremel:

Last edited: 25 Feb 2005
  2. H2O-G33K

H2O-G33K What's a Dremel?

Looks like a good start. I've been thinking about building an aluminium case. How difficult is it to solder? What tool(s) d'you need?

3. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

I don't know, I ask the father of my friend to do it for me. He did it for 40$cad which is not so much because in normal time, he work for 35$/hours...
    I only got a metal solder which is too strong I think. It will just burn up my aluminium into liquid...

4. striker289

striker289 What's a Dremel?

looking good but i think they welded it, soder would be too weak. cant wait to see updates! :D

5. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

Today's Update...

I did a plexiglass psu box to put my psu in it but when I tried to put de pcb card of the psu, I discovered that it was to tight :wallbash:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I decided to do it all over again...

Glue I made myself with small piece of acrylic and acetone stuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tool I use to make "filet" to put screws ...
    [​IMG]

The result!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "Paint" that I use to make this effect on the plexiglass...
    [​IMG]

Now, I have installed some white leds in the acrylic box but as you can see, the result is not just like I wanted. The leds are not really white :duh: Compare the leds on the fan and the one of the box...
    [​IMG]

So I ordered others white leds from lsdiodes

Next update will be probably to fix the motherboard tray inside my cube and to put white leds in the plexibox if I receive them!

6. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Wow. I like the custom PSU enclosure. But yeah, you're right, the LEDs don't match the fan. Keep it up, and I like the cube frame as well. It looks sharp (not in the dangerous way! :thumb: )

7. KidModder

KidModder What's a Dremel?

Looking good :thumb:!Question here (I have alot of questions :) ) Were did you by the acrylic?

8. Wrigley1

Wrigley1 What's a Dremel?

(Large OT @ KidModder) He's in Canada, and you're in the US, so you might not want to order something from Canada due to it coming through customs... When I ordered my acrylic case from ClearPC it took 5 weeks to get here. :wallbash: So his suppliers mightn't be the best for you I'm thinking...

Nice PSU housing well33t! That SilenX fan is undervolted and can push a lgood amount more air if you remove the resistor. However, it does get a tad louder. Did you actually get the aluminum soldered together? Or did you get it welded? Welding is hard to sand off, which you mentioned the solder was, and is harder to do on aluminum and requires special tools/a lot of skill. I'm with striker, they mustv'e welded it. Great looking case so far though.

9. Well33t

Well33t What's a Dremel?

thx for your comment ! :)

I bought it at Reno Depot but as said Wrigley1, you should buy it in a store from us, so you don't have to pay custom fee...

I don't know what is the difference between soldering and weldering because I search the word in dictionnary and it give me the same word in french :worried: . But I know that this guy is very skilled and yes the it was hard to sand off , I had to use a "Grinder"(I can take a picture of this tool if you really want)

About removing the resistor on the fan, can I change the fan from a clear one by just cutting the wire ? I think the original one got a wire to know the temperature... Is it neccessary ?