1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Voltage HTPC (update 4-30-05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by jaguarking11, 17 Feb 2005.

1. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Well I dont think it will have mutch of a performance increase over a single chip unless I configure it diferently. For example If I set one chip to do only video encoding work and the other chip for everything else it will definitly have a performance advantage, at least I think so.

The real reason to use dual chip mobo was because I wanted something diferent from everyone. Everyone uses old hardware (like me) on htpc's. And I have seen people use epia mobos etc. I decided to use diferent hardware.

To be quite honest I have never seen a dual cpu htpc so that was enoguh reason to do so.

And you guys are free to copy my right angled moldex mod. Just one question? Am I the first to do this? If so nic it acordingly.

thanks guys, I am glad you guys are looking at my humble mod.

P.S:if you have any questions or sugestions about anything that I do please post em and I will do my best to answer or concider the sugestion.

Last edited: 27 Feb 2005
  2. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

I dont think they would, unless of course you were encoding, but with systems this small it probably wont show any significant performance gain over a normal p4 system or something along those lines.

Edit: he beat me :O

3. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

that idea is pure genius... i think i shall use that in my next mod as it will allow cabling to be that *little* bit neater....

take care... good work :dremel:

4. mediacoretex

mediacoretex What's a Dremel?

good job on the mod

5. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

was it necessary to quote the whole post, mediacoretex?

good woork on the case so far! are you going to leave it that flat black color on the outside? it looks cool, it'll add to the originality of this project.

6. jaguarking11

Thank you very mutch for the compliments.

and to answer the question, yes I will be leaving it flat black on the outside as I rather like the color.

till next time.

PS: could you get rid of the pics on your post mediacoretex as thats just a waist of bandwidth, on both my part and the readers part.

thank you in advance

7. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Great work on the molexs. That looks like it would make it easier to add some leds for some cool lighting.

Common misconseption. The pics only load for the first time they are seen, so him quoting the pics doesnt take up bandwith i dont beleive. But removing the pics would shorten the length of the post.

8. deadly-app

I think it does cause bandwidth to be used as its on a diffferent page and i think browsers cache a page, not an image, causing it to cache this page, along with all the pictures :0

9. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Ahh yeah your right, i didnt notice that they were on different pages. My bad.

10. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

Nice mod.. I have some 486 desktop compaqs around... I thought about maling one into a file server but there made of what seams to be armor plate and weigh a tonn.. I don't have tough enough tools :waah:

11. Valo

Valo Minimodder

well... opera actually does cache the images, so they loaded only once for me :)

nice mod. i wanted to do something similar but with dual 800mhz cumines (less heat), but unfortunately i have no spare hardware, nor money for mod :(

goood luck with yours :)

12. (X)TORNADO(X)

(X)TORNADO(X) What's a Dremel?

Nice start.. I hope that you will send some more pictures soon....

13. jaguarking11

Well I decided that my htpc will also be a server for my games if necesary. (unreal tournament series, quake 3, half life. etc) so I decided to add a built in 5 port 10/100megabit switch and some speakers just in case I want to play music when I take the server with me.

The speakers pictured on the rite are a pair of JBL pro drivers, the mid is a amp riped from a crapy set of speakers and the leaft the crapy speakers that the amp resided in.

[​IMG]

The craptacular speakers minus one amp.

[​IMG]

The amp. (the knobs on the amp or the headphone jack will not be used as the volume will be controlled from the volume control in windows

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the switch.

Here is a shaky shot of the switch (I apologise for the pic)

[​IMG]

A better shot of the switch in place.

[​IMG]

Another shot

[​IMG]

Top shot of the switch.

[​IMG]

PS: The switch will be powered independently from the pc so it will be always on as long as the pc's power cord is pluged in.

14. Cowinacape

Cowinacape What's a Dremel?

Nice job so far! Great idea with the molexs!! :thumb: One question for you, ( I might have missed the answer as I breezed through the first page) what type of "glue" did you use to cememnt the Mesh to the shell of the P.S.U.?

15. jaguarking11

I used crazy glue in two or 3layers and the mesh is on securly. But I also used two part epoxy as I ran out of glue. And the two part epoxy is strong as hell.

16. Cowinacape

Cowinacape What's a Dremel?

Thanks kindly, appreciate the reply! Mod on! :D

17. jaguarking11

Ok I wanted to cut a window in this case so I decided to cut two windows. I had time to only finish the side window tonite, Tomorrow I will cut out the top one as well.

So on with my Pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you guys like.

18. deadly-app

hope that doesnt kill support too bad :O

19. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

That's one hell of an idea there with the right angle Molex's. I hope you don't mind me using that idea. Wow, it's so simple and cheap. Two things I can easily handle. :D

20. jaguarking11

The rest of the window cut out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]